What's new

What non adjustable razor should I buy?

I really enjoy my Maggard V3A head on a variety of handles. Good hardware isn't hard to come by.

Ya know after having tried a number of different (and usually more expensive) razors I have to agree: My two favorites are the Maggard V3 and V3a. I'm kinda shocked, actually.

Now that I've tried most of them I'm going to suggest a Gillette Old Type open comb razor. I've found it to be a little aggressive but not in a bad way. It gives me the best shave of my collection of vintage razors. So if you are only buying one, I'd suggest that one.

I was reading B&B tonight and read a discussion about razors and it got me thinking. I have a Gillette slim adjustable, a Merkur Futur and a Mergress. I've been reading so much about the non adjustable razors and got on Ebay and almost bid on a Gillette Red Tip; however, i've had a few beers, wine for dinner and am currently working on a Manhattan, so I decided to get off Ebay and ask you.
I'm interested in a non-adjustable for a diversion and have seen so much about the Merkur 34C and the Gillette Red Tip. Also, thought about the Gillette Fat Boy, but thought that would just be another adjustable, nothing really different.
So, what do you suggest?

there's always a plan B

I have both a 34C and a Red Tip in regular rotation. They're quite different, but essentially the 34C is a bit milder than the Red Tip.

They're complimentary. I would tend to use a 34C when I shaved the day before and the Red Tip when I haven't. Neither are particularly expensive, so I'd second others' recommendations to buy both.

What settings do you typically use on the 3 adjustables you have, and what is your typical routine (how many passes and in which directions)? I have all 3, so based on how you typically use them, I'd be happy to make a suggestion.

What settings do you typically use on the 3 adjustables you have, and what is your typical routine (how many passes and in which directions)? I have all 3, so based on how you typically use them, I'd be happy to make a suggestion.

^^ This. Because, then you can look at this table, and see what you might want to try next. TABLE

i use #3 on my Futur and my Mergress and i use #4 on my Gillette Slim Adjustable. spent a few weeks playing with the adjustments to get up to what i thought was a great shave on each. however, i stopped at the above settings because the result was great, but i may kick each up one just to experiment. as of now, i've been using each razor through one blade (4-5 shaves) and then change blades and razors so i only have one blade in one razor at a time to avoid corrosion. i used to do 3 passes, but found that the XTG didn't make any difference, so i do the WTG followed by the ATG. my beard is medium which also helps. any thoughts?

there's always a plan B

thank you all for the information, guess i may have to open the wallet and pick up a few new razors to play with.

there's always a plan B

i use #3 on my Futur and my Mergress and i use #4 on my Gillette Slim Adjustable. spent a few weeks playing with the adjustments to get up to what i thought was a great shave on each. however, i stopped at the above settings because the result was great, but i may kick each up one just to experiment. as of now, i've been using each razor through one blade (4-5 shaves) and then change blades and razors so i only have one blade in one razor at a time to avoid corrosion. i used to do 3 passes, but found that the XTG didn't make any difference, so i do the WTG followed by the ATG. my beard is medium which also helps. any thoughts?

there's always a plan B

I'm thinking Red Tip or NEW.

First off the FatBoy is really not very much like the Slim in my opinion. Secondly, a Red Tip is a fantastic shaver. Thirdly, I think a '48-'50 NDC Super Speed might be the best razor ever made.

Don't expect anyone here to discourage you from purchasing anything! :lol:

Personally, I would start with the 34C, but you may as well add the Red Tip and Fat Boy (as you will eventually)!

thanks for the advice, everybody! i guess i'll have to make a decision, but as most of you say, i'll probably buy them all eventually.

there's always a plan B

First off the FatBoy is really not very much like the Slim in my opinion. Secondly, a Red Tip is a fantastic shaver. Thirdly, I think a '48-'50 NDC Super Speed might be the best razor ever made.

I would start with a 48-50 TTO, Aristocrat, Superspeed, or Milord.

Then get a 41-47 TTO, Aristocrat, Superspeed, Milord, or Ranger Tech.

Then I would get a '51+ TTO, Aristocrat, Superspeed, Redtip, Bluetip, Blacktip.

In that order...

I prefer the weight of the Aristocrats and Redtip, they weigh about the same as the Slim.

Last edited:
He he, you would get lots of answers :) I recommend the Merkur 34C HD... it is smooth and forgiving, with a Feather or Astra blade it is a bit more angry, but still smooth

Top Bottom