What's new

New handle for a semogue

The knot broke out of my semogue. So I made a new one. Yea I know there's a little epoxy at the very bottom of the bristles but I kind of had to judging by how the knot broke out of the glue. I don't claim to be an excellent wood turner so don't judge too hard. I borrowed the lathe to do the job. It's padauk with a blo/ca finish. Hit up to 3000 Micromesh with multiple rounds of plastic polish.
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

I am also clearly not a photographer

It looks great. The proportion is good, and the size of the flare is well done. I like your choice of chamfer angle at the bottom. I love the large pores in paduak. For the top of the brush (the ferule bit), where the curve starts from the handle end going up, I think I might like to have either seen a smoother curve to the top, or a more abrupt angle change rather than what appears to be a gradual change in angle.

Overall, it looks pretty darn good to me. Nice new home for your knot.

It looks great. The proportion is good, and the size of the flare is well done. I like your choice of chamfer angle at the bottom. I love the large pores in paduak. For the top of the brush (the ferule bit), where the curve starts from the handle end going up, I think I might like to have either seen a smoother curve to the top, or a more abrupt angle change rather than what appears to be a gradual change in angle.

Overall, it looks pretty darn good to me. Nice new home for your knot.

Thanks for the nice critique. This was only my second time turning on a lathe so I'm still learning a lot of these things and didn't really take the time to study brush styles and what not. I did however make it a brother
$image.jpg
I learned why you need to wait for the ca to dry before sanding. It's got some covered up blotches I missed. Fail. But it's an omega 10049. I can buy three more and try again for the price of a car fill up.

Top Bottom