What's new

Ya like Dags? My foray into wet shaving and the honorable order of aquisition

Lol sorry to hear about the Vegaboar funk Josh. I don't know how many shaves you've got on that injector blade, but it always takes a few for mine to tone down in the harshness department, and an insanely light touch is always required for a while. Nice mail call! I love that pre-shave soap, and that puck will last a very long time.

Thanks for the insight on the Baudelaire I have crossed it off my list. You should surrender to the cat box- Veg- just let it happen...of course speaking as one of "the chosen" lol!

I am flirting with the idea of a jnat any guidance on where to start? Am I in for sticker shock? There is a dazzling number of complicated sounding names!

Nice shave. And the way you described that smell... well let's just say good thing I haven't eaten my breakfast yet!

The shave sounded nice, Piacenza is a great scent that Stirling produced.

Nice mail call... is this going to be your first run with Haslinger? The Musgo pre-shave is always on my WTB list but for some reason I always pass on it. I like to give Chris [MENTION=103898]CBLindsay[/MENTION] a hard time about using a pre-shave but little does he know I actually use a pre-shave about 75% of the time now. Primarily using his pre-shave soap that he sent me.

Lol sorry to hear about the Vegaboar funk Josh. I don't know how many shaves you've got on that injector blade, but it always takes a few for mine to tone down in the harshness department, and an insanely light touch is always required for a while. Nice mail call! I love that pre-shave soap, and that puck will last a very long time.

Thanks Eric. I think that blade has 3 shaves on it...maybe five or six passes. Once I finish this run of straight shaves, I plan on learning my 'jectah's nuances. I was happy with the musgo purchase...it's about as good as Chris's pre-shave soaps...almost. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the insight on the Baudelaire I have crossed it off my list. You should surrender to the cat box- Veg- just let it happen...of course speaking as one of "the chosen" lol!

I am flirting with the idea of a jnat any guidance on where to start? Am I in for sticker shock? There is a dazzling number of complicated sounding names!

you might be in for a little sticker shock, but honestly can get a very good Jnat with a nagura set for not too much more than a larger (7x2) coticule. Check your inbox, I'll shoot you some information there.

Nice shave. And the way you described that smell... well let's just say good thing I haven't eaten my breakfast yet!

The shave sounded nice, Piacenza is a great scent that Stirling produced.

Nice mail call... is this going to be your first run with Haslinger? The Musgo pre-shave is always on my WTB list but for some reason I always pass on it. I like to give Chris @CBLindsay a hard time about using a pre-shave but little does he know I actually use a pre-shave about 75% of the time now. Primarily using his pre-shave soap that he sent me.

Yes, this will be my first use of any of the Haslinger products. I've actually got it lined up for tomorrow's shave, and am looking forward to it. The Musgo this morning was nice...it frequently sells out, but once you use up the rest of Chris's preshave, it is almost equal in performance, which is a testament to the superior quality of Chris's preshave soap.

Veg-A-Funk, it happens when the goddess is displeased with having to be the first ever to lather a boar. I feel your funky pain man, the TGN knot I put in the rubberset is only now beginning to lack funk. I washed it and everything then went to the L&L Cuir et Espices (described as John Wayne's kitchen ...if he was cooking breakfast wear nothing but his stinky chaps and stall mucking boots). The funk was horrendous but because I thought I had cleaned the knot well I blamed it all on the soap. I couldn't believe Dave was raving about the scent and I was engulfed in a cloud of rotting leather and steaming horse apples. I may never try that soap again, the memory is just too much to overcome.

I hope the time spent with the stones is productive.

Veg-a-funk - I get that every time even without the the new boar being involved. Very nice shave man. Dovo looks really solid.

You didn't run away from The Veg when you first opened it. It'll grow on you. I recommend a few test lathers with Arko to help de-funk the boar and break it in.

Catching up and enjoyed your thoughts on shaving and the younger generations you encounter. I have tried to convert a few, but in the end I do not think I was that successful. I can never see going back to carts when there are so many SE's, DE's, shavettes and straights.

Your injector: you're not using it the same way as a DE are you? With the injector you're keeping the head of the razor practically flat against your face, right? I'm not trying to crack wise, just mentioning this because it's not uncommon for it to be used with way, way, way too much angle. :001_cool:

Veg-A-Funk, it happens when the goddess is displeased with having to be the first ever to lather a boar. I feel your funky pain man, the TGN knot I put in the rubberset is only now beginning to lack funk. I washed it and everything then went to the L&L Cuir et Espices (described as John Wayne's kitchen ...if he was cooking breakfast wear nothing but his stinky chaps and stall mucking boots). The funk was horrendous but because I thought I had cleaned the knot well I blamed it all on the soap. I couldn't believe Dave was raving about the scent and I was engulfed in a cloud of rotting leather and steaming horse apples. I may never try that soap again, the memory is just too much to overcome.

I hope the time spent with the stones is productive.

:lol: Sounds like you had a similar experience to me...I lathered up the boar again last night after washing it and using a little conditioner, but this time with TOBS Coconut and l let it sit out for about 8 hours with the lather in it. Rinsed it off before the nightly lather and used the SC Endurance. The funk was mostly gone...just have a little bit more to go.

Veg-a-funk - I get that every time even without the the new boar being involved. Very nice shave man. Dovo looks really solid.

Thanks Tom...the Dovo was the first razor I bought, and is a decent razor. In retrospect, I should have spent the extra $50 and gone with the Aust or a TI.

You didn't run away from The Veg when you first opened it. It'll grow on you. I recommend a few test lathers with Arko to help de-funk the boar and break it in.

I think the Veg is going to be one of those things soley dependant on the will of SWMBO...if the boss doesn't like it, it won't have a place. lol

A very nice mail call! Hope you get time tonight to play on the stones:thumbup: I stay as far away as possible from discussions relating to THE V, it is just better for my health:lol:

I did get to play with the stones a bit last night, though not as much as I would have liked. Sounds like the Bambi approach to life..."If you can't say something nice, don't say nuttin' at all!"

Catching up and enjoyed your thoughts on shaving and the younger generations you encounter. I have tried to convert a few, but in the end I do not think I was that successful. I can never see going back to carts when there are so many SE's, DE's, shavettes and straights.

That's pretty much where I'm at Pete. I enjoy the routine and shaves too much now to go back to carts. Whenever I get back home, my mission is going to be to convert SWMBO to the ways of traditional wet shaving...it will be a long, drawn out struggle, but will happen. I've already placed the seed...now have to cultivate it!

Your injector: you're not using it the same way as a DE are you? With the injector you're keeping the head of the razor practically flat against your face, right? I'm not trying to crack wise, just mentioning this because it's not uncommon for it to be used with way, way, way too much angle. :001_cool:

I'm pretty conscious of the angle, though I'm sure it gets away from me quite a bit Chris. As much feedback I got yesterday, it seemed to be more of a pressure thing, however. To be continued...lol.

Great read Josh great set-up today and wonderful Mail Call

Thanks Dave!

Friday, 9 December, 2016 – Haslinger Schafmilch – Straight Shave #84

Nightly lather, honing and other miscellaneous notes:

A later than usual night didn’t leave me much time to work on the stones last night, so all I was able to accomplish was to finish up the botan nagura progression and move into the tenjiyou. I’m going to spend a bit more time on the T. Nagura before moving on to the mejiro and tomo naguras. I want to make sure I’m not getting ahead of the hone, something I’ve found myself doing on occasion.

The nightly lather was interesting. So yesterday, after the veg-a-funk incident the previous night, I took the new Omega boar and washed it out, then took some conditioner to the bristles. After rinsing it out, I lathered up the TOBS Coconut and left the lather in the brush to dry out. About 8 hours later when I got done with work, the lather was fully dried out, and I decided to use that for the lather up. This time I grabbed the Soap Commander Endurance. I wanted to see how much easier it would be to get a good lather out of the tub versus from a sample. I was able to get an unbelievably good lather out of this, and played with it a bit to see if I could find out where it would break. There was still a tiny bit of funk coming from the brush, so I’ll have to go through and do this one more time. Compared to yesterday, the smell is negligible. Of course, Old Spice original was used as a top off for the Endurance.

The other day I decided to go ahead and take the Williams Mug Soap puck I have, (new version), and take it to the laboratory and cook up a hybrid soap. I was debating on a few different mixtures…Blue Willy, Club Willy, Spicy Willy…in the end I went with Blue Willy with a splash of Clubman. (I have an OS and Clubman soap already) It’s almost ready to use, so sometime in the near future I’ll grab it for a morning shave. I will take it for a nightly lather in the next night or two to see how easy it is (or difficult) to get a useable lather out of it.

Prep: Hot Shower | Eucalyptus and Spearmint soap
Pre-shave: Musgo Real Lima Glyce pre-shave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (10) | TomoNagura Firehose (20) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (40)
Razor: Wade & Butcher 6/8” square point
Brush: Razorock 26mm “Big Bruce” synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Sung Homme by Alfred Sung
Album of the Day: Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
Song of the Day: Snake Charmer
View attachment 707943
The morning shave

This morning I grabbed a new-to-me soap, and my first used straight; Haslinger Schafmilch and my Wade & Butcher. This is the first Haslinger product I’ve used, so all I had to go on is the reviews here on B&B, which are of course very complimentary. And rightly so…the Razorock synthetic whipped up an unbelievably good lather with this soap…it was perhaps on the dry side of things for the first pass, but the second was just oh so nice! I decided before I even started shaving this would only be a 2 pass shave, both being hybrid passes. The goal was to get to DFS and call it good. I was able to accomplish this with minimal feedback from the Alum and AS. In regards to the soap, the lather is very similar to when you nail the MWF lather. It doesn’t look like it will be a good lather until you paste it on your face, then it’s just cushion, slickness, protection…everything you want in a lather.

The Music

Normally I don’t want to listen to something harder in the morning during the shave, but today I opted for Rage Against the Machine’s album Evil Empire. Maybe it’s because it is a nostalgic album for me, but it doesn’t get me worked up like other albums of this genre/ilk. What is shocking is that it was released 20 years ago this year! I would imagine some of the “kids” are considering this “classic rock” now…LMAO! Anyways, while I don’t necessarily agree with the political message that RATM pushes in their songs, you can’t deny the catchiness in their songs, musically. I enjoy most of the songs on the album, but a few of the interesting guitar hooks in Snake Charmer means it gets Song of the Day.

Mail Call

Yesterday I got in the 'crat that I purchased off of the 'bay. I definitely made out on this purchase, as it's in great shape, almost minty. It has the original pigskin case, though it's missing the blade holder. Here are a few pictures:
View attachment 707939 $DSCF0835.JPG$DSCF0841.JPGView attachment 707942

Score on the Aristocrat! That looks oh so nice - very cool.

I have Haslinger Schmaflitch out to use in a bit too!

Score on the Aristocrat! That looks oh so nice - very cool.

I have Haslinger Schmaflitch out to use in a bit too!

The Schafmilch was one of those (rare) occasions where it out performed my expectations...which were already high because of how well regarded it is on here. I was sceptical, but it certainly rose to the occasion!

I lucked out on the 'crat...if it had been labeled as an aristocrat and had a few more pictures, it would have brought in close to double what I paid for it.

Nice score. I love getting a great deal on an excellent item but it usually sends me looking for MORE great deals ...and the unicorn's just disappear.

That aristocrat is amazing! I sold my user grade off. I may splurge and get one down the road again. Yours is in really good condition. Very impressed.

The Crat looks amazing! Great shave today, and I was skeptical about schafmilch as well. The first couple of times I tried it I was convinced that the hype was just hype, but once I realized that it needed a fire hose turned on it to hit the water band I've gotten exceptional lathers every time. Great suds!

Top Bottom