What's new

Starting to get interested but need HELP

I've been using the Jinhao Lamy copy for a couple of months as a fairly low risk work pen. So far I am on my third (I gifted the first two, they didn't break). So far they have been fine, especially for what it cost.

One of those for a few dollars would be a good introduction to fountain pens. If you like it, buy something better to try out. If you don't, bin it.

Sounds good David, by coincidence I have been using one of these Jinhao pens today, it cost me £1 including postage from China, the pen is well made, a smooth writer and is no big deal if it was to be lost or broken, whereas I would be a little vexed if the same thing was to happen to a Montblanc or an older Parker.

If others want to ebay search for this pen,as referred to by David, it is a Jinhao 599, they are in a choice of colors but my personal preference is the near clear plastic.

Last edited:
$Jinhao599.jpg Pic of the Jinhao 599.

And a Very Sincere THANK YOU!

My wife has spent many, MANY hours making a commemorative needlepoint sampler for them.

As you can see, I/We are doing everything we can to make our daughters wedding extra special.
My role as the father of the bride has mostly been signing checks and saying "Yes" to any and all questions.

Other than the father daughter dance ( I hope to GOD they don't record that disaster as I have two left feet) my only duties are to be there.

And to be very well groomed and wearing my Tux.

As to my grooming, the week before I get a haircut (don' want to show up with a brand new haircut)

Sparing no expense (but some sleep and a few $$$) I have arranged to meet my barber at 7:30 A.M. (they do not open until 8:00 A.M.) to get the DELUXE treatment.

Hot towels, hot lather, straight edge razor shave, beard, moustach and eyebrow trim and a last minute touch up to my hair.

Nothing but the best for Daddy's Princess!

BTW, did I mention that I purchased a blinking LED bow-tie to wear for about 10 minutes behind the scenes? Just long enough "Freak her out) backstage before things get rolling?:w00t:

It sounds like she is going to have a very big day!

When your new pen writing skills have been fine tuned you may like to consider what next. Many pen users start a Journal, perhaps as a diary, or in support of hobbies or just something to pass on to grandchildren that may come along. I retired last year and have just completed a family tree. I decided to put this in a journal, handwritten, so that future generations may still be able to read it. this was after having spoken to some IT professionals and a historian who thought it would be unlikely that computers in 100 years would be able to read 2016 data. I could have posted the tree to a website, but I wanted to to do this by hand in any case. If you decide to do something similar dont make the mistake that I did by using ordinary fountain pen ink. You can buy Registrars Ink, as used for birth certifcates and the like, which will not fade.

The family tree was fascinating in itself, I expected thieves and vagabonds but found plain hard working people instead and going back to 1550. A useful legacy for others to have - and a great place to try out your new pen. If you decide to buy a new journal I would not be tempted by Moleskine, they look very smart but are not fountain pen friendly. A better maker is Rhodia and available on Amazon.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Apart from the paper mentioned on the link that Vacumatic provided, Original Crown Mill and G Lalo both make nice stationery paper as well.

Between your Jinhao and your Metropolitan, you should be able to get a good feel for what you do and don't like about fountain pens.

Noodler's Baystate Blue is a nice vibrant color of blue, but be careful with it, because it has tendencies to stain. If your Jinhao is a demonstrator (transparent), then make sure to flush and clean the pen regularly if you use Baystate Blue in it. If not, you might be left with a blue tint in your converter.

Best wishes on your daughter's wedding! If I were you, I'd try writing that letter as soon as possible. I'm not a father, but I could only imagine that the closer it gets to the wedding, the shakier your hands will get! :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Once again, I offer all of you my heartfelt thanks for you friendship and advice!

To bring my new "Nib" friends up to speed....................

I figured out that my Jinhao 159 may not make it in time

So I ordered the Pilot Metro medium nib pen, with the Pilot CON 50 Converter.

Not to mention the Noodlers Baystate Blue.

Also today, I ordered a Jinhao 599A for the princely sum of $1.29 with free S&H from eBay.

Can't wait to start writing my daughters letter!

Apart from the paper mentioned on the link that Vacumatic provided, Original Crown Mill and G Lalo both make nice stationery paper as well.

Between your Jinhao and your Metropolitan, you should be able to get a good feel for what you do and don't like about fountain pens.

Noodler's Baystate Blue is a nice vibrant color of blue, but be careful with it, because it has tendencies to stain. If your Jinhao is a demonstrator (transparent), then make sure to flush and clean the pen regularly if you use Baystate Blue in it. If not, you might be left with a blue tint in your converter.

Best wishes on your daughter's wedding! If I were you, I'd try writing that letter as soon as possible. I'm not a father, but I could only imagine that the closer it gets to the wedding, the shakier your hands will get! :tongue_sm

The Metropolitan, Converter and Ink is to be delivered tomorrow.

Starting Friday morning, I will be spending a lot of time at the local library (in the back room) practicing without distractions!

Not so worried about shaking hands as my dearest, darling daughter will appreciate the effort regardless!

I have a Pilot Metropolitan.

It's a nice starter pen. I always get looks when I use it.

I agree that it is a really good looking pen with over 1,600 mostly positive reviews on Amazon.com.

And I am sure to get some "Looks" as well when the Mrs. finds me using a fountain pen fearing for her laundry!

Sadly, USPS strikes yet again!

I am an Amazon.com PRIME member which includes free 2 day shipping.

My Pilot Metropolitan, Con 50 converter and Noodlers Bay Watch Ink were supposed to be delivered today,

Sigh

Well, it looks like today is the BIG DAY:lol:

According to USPS my Metropolitan, converter and ink are out for delivery:thumbup:

Well, my order finally arrived.

And I have started my fountain pen learning curve.

Starting with how easy it is to end up with ink stained fingers when filling with a converter.

While the Noodlers Bay Watch Blue is just the color I wanted, it looks far better on paper than my fingers!'

Fortunately, I also learned that rubbing my fingers with "Brasso" removed most of the stain and a few drops of aftershave removed the small amount that was left.

IMHO as a Nib Noob, I feel that the Pilot Metropolitan with the medium nib writes very smoothly and the line thickness is pretty much what I wanted.

Now it is time to practice!

Great to hear that you received your Metropolitan, RJ! If you want clean hands, then I understand, but don't be afraid to wear those ink stains with pride! :tongue_sm

The Handwritten Thread is a great place to correspond with other B&Bers, as well as practicing your penmanship. Feel free to post if you feel inclined to do so. :thumbup1:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/339515-The-Handwritten-Thread

Once I get past the "Totally Embarrassed" point, I will indeed post there!

Well, this time I managed to fill my pen without ending up with blue fingers!

I stabilized the ink bottle by putting it into a small cocktail type glass sitting on top of a paper plate.

Then I covered my left hand with a cheap sandwich sized baggie while I manipulated the piston in the Con-50 converter to fill with ink.

Then I used my covered hand to hold a piece of paper towel and wiped down the nib and surrounding area.

When done, I inverted the bag over the piece of paper towel (kinda like picking up after your dog in a park) and disposed of it in the trash.

Worked like a charm!

Again, thanks to all of the fine folk here with lot's of experience that have taken the time to share word's of wisdom with me!

I have been practicing for the last month, I proclaim my handwriting legible and I am in the last stretch.

Today, I went to Staples and purchased what I think is a decent writing paper as well as some fairly good looking envelopes.

The paper can in a pack of 100 sheet's so I am fairly confident that I can get one near perfect letter (no matter how long it takes or how much ink I use) out of it!

I have three pens now.

Pilot Metropolitan.
Jinhao 159
Jinhao 189

I have made my decision and I will be writing the letter with the Jinhao 159.

Granted that I purchased it for under $4 including $&H but I have to admit that it is an EXCELLENT PEN!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Great to hear, UncleRJ! What one person likes and does not like is a very personal thing when it comes to fountain pens. It sounds like you're happy with what you have to write the letter with, and that's the most important.

An update for all of you that have helped me out in my time of need.

I chose to write my special letter using the Jinhao 159.

Somehow the larger size and weight seems to work to my benefit with my oversized hands as I seem to be able to control it better.

I also like the "Line" (?) that the nib delivers. Please remember that I am still learning the proper word's and "Tech Speak".

I ended up going to Staples to purchase some stationary. I purchased a pack of 100 sheets of a nice bordered stationary for about $8 plus a pack of 25 matching envelopes for an additional $5. Both made in China.

Also very glad that I chose to purchase a 100 sheet pack as I went through about 25 sheets before I was able to produce something that I was halfway proud of.

AKA as actually legedable!

I delivered it to my darling daughter at the rehearsal dinner with instructions (also marked on the envelope) to open it the next morning...Wedding Day.

I must have done something right as my wife went to help her get ready after she read my letter and later reported tears (the good kind).

And my daughter thanked me in person while hugging the stuffing out of me when we met at the church right before I walked her down the aisle.

So once again, I thank all of you that have helped me here and behind the scenes!

Also, now that my immediate need has been met, I am going to be sticking with my new hobby.

Especially since my Jinhao 189 (the fancy "Cauldron Pen" has arrived!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Congratulations, RJ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I was grinning ear to ear the whole time reading your last post! What an awesomely special item for you to give her. It's great that you were able to find a combo of pen/ink/paper that worked for your needs. Congrats, again, Sir!

Top Bottom