What's new

Citizen Eco Drive

"It's a date code 1, which I'm not sure whether that means 2011 or 2001. Either way I'm still going to replace the battery just to be sure because I doubt it's ever been done."

Eco-Drives don't have your usual watch batteries. Need to know what the correct part number is and need someone who understands the difference otherwise the movement will be fried. I have an old Eco-Drive that no longer holds charge and it was not worth the fix.

Eco-Drives don't have your usual watch batteries. Need to know what the correct part number is and need someone who understands the difference otherwise the movement will be fried. I have an old Eco-Drive that no longer holds charge and it was not worth the fix.

This I already know. The Eco Drive watches (at least the ones that have the 295-51) take a 1.5 volt MT621 rechargeable lithium ion battery with a funny little gold tab on one side. They're very often incorrectly referred to as capacitors; which IS what Seiko used in their solar watches, but not Miyota (Citizen).

I was able to purchase a replacement battery for $17. If the watch isn't worth $17 and a few minutes of careful labor I'd gladly take any unwanted Eco Drives that are "not worth fixing".

My wife bought me a eco-drive titanium watch for our anniversary in 2003. That watch has been all over the world with me, including diving and jumping out of airplanes and still works great. I leave it on a window sill to charge as it isn't my daily wear anymore. I did have the battery replaced at the 10 year mark.

This I already know. The Eco Drive watches (at least the ones that have the 295-51) take a 1.5 volt MT621 rechargeable lithium ion battery with a funny little gold tab on one side. They're very often incorrectly referred to as capacitors; which IS what Seiko used in their solar watches, but not Miyota (Citizen).

I was able to purchase a replacement battery for $17. If the watch isn't worth $17 and a few minutes of careful labor I'd gladly take any unwanted Eco Drives that are "not worth fixing".

No batteries available here and Citizen want close to $100 to do the job.
After your message I've re explored the options and have ordered some plastic tools and will try to get a battery shipped. Some major sellers state they won't ship them by mail because they contain lithium but eBay seems to be full of sellers that claim they can ship.
The problem I have found with the bay is so many things are fake.

I have an Eco-drive floating around here somewhere ---haven't worn a watch in years as I get the time off my phone---but for the couple of years that I wore it --it worked great. I'm more about streamlining my EDC items these days.

Bought it at JC Penny's --which was pretty good at discounting good watches to a decent price---haven't been in there in years either but might be a good place to look.

Top Bottom