What's new

What's up with this handle on this Damaskeene?

I've never seen a handle like this on a Damaskeene, so I'm assuming it's substituted. The handle even appears to have been home-fabricated, albeit well done. The material feels like plastic. The "crack" is more like a seam.

I was going to just put my 1912 Star handle on it, but it doesn't fit. The thread stem on the Star is too large in diameter to fit.

This is the first of 2 Damaskeenes that I have ordered. I had intended to have one of them replated in rhodium, but it won't be this one. I only performed a little polishing with a polishing cloth to get these results. It arrived in really good condition. We will see how the other one arrives. At the very least, I'll have a stock handle out of it.

I know next to nothing about vintage SEs, but I am in love with my 1912 Star. I was told a Damaskeene is the next level. Please share anything you know about Damaskeenes in addition to this handle. Thanks!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

As you pointed out, the handle may not be original for the razor head. It does look really good together though. I'd be happy with it like that.

As you pointed out, the handle may not be original for the razor head. It does look really good together though. I'd be happy with it like that.

With a little help, I figured out it's a resin handle found stock on some of the older lather catchers:

proxy.php

With a little help, I figured out it's a resin handle found stock on some of the older lather catchers:

proxy.php

Yes, the Gem Jr Lather Catchers came with a variety of different handles like the patterned grip with the compartment on the bottom to stash the blade stropper, or the black wood handle in short or long. I have not seen this handle though, but Bob will probably have a definitive answer to that.

You guys are way ahead of me.

$jreilte.jpg

The Gem Junior Elite (above), circa 1906, has exactly that handle, and the Junior and the Damaskeene have the same handle thread. The handle was advertised as "ivory."

Nearly all of the Damaskeenes have the familiar knurled steel handle. A few of the earliest open comb models came with a tubular stropper handle.

That handle does look good on the Damaskeene. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Shows what I know. I was assuming it was a cheap throw-in to make the razor "complete". It does look nice. I think I'll keep them together.

Great looking razor! I have a few of these and one may be a similar wood handle. I always liked the details and look of them. Too often the two part handles are missing the lower portion.

This is my first post to this site. I hop-e to be sharing some of my collection and learning more. I began collecting in the early 1980's when few people seemed interested in safety razors and blades. As a result, I was able to snag some interesting examples.

Seeing this razor is great!

Top Bottom