What's new

Newbie, First post

Let me start by introducing myself as a 2wk DE shaver. It has been rough. No nicks or cuts, but lots of razor burn. My tools are: feather as d2, sample blade pack, more blades, tons of soaps, few creams. My dad was a DE shaver. I never saw him use a cartridge. I have been using cartridge for 40 years and I tried DE shaving about 30 years ago with no luck. There wasn't the information available back then compared to today. Reading and watching everything I can. I'm getting the most razor burn on cheeks and around mouth. My neck, which is a problem for me has been doing pretty good. I haven't shaved around my m

Last edited:
I haven't shaved around my mouth for a few days. This mornings shave was really good. I only thought about no pressure and hearing & feeling the blade cut. Thanks for this board and I will be lur

Hi [MENTION=111462]Doug428[/MENTION],
As you've already learned... NO pressure!!!

If you can, rest your face for a few days...

That Feather AS-D2 is the bee's knees... tell us about your routine...

and WELCOME!

Our house is your house
Nuestra casa es su casa
Notre maison est votre maison
Taigh againn tha taigh agaibh

Welcome to the club, Doug. Glad to have you aboard. I have found that, with my AS D2 the angle is critical. I keep the blade angle as shallow as possible, and I have not experienced any razor burn.

Welcome to B&B, Doug.

As you indicated, pressure on the blade is what causes problems. Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

welcome friend. You'll get great shaves but it may take time. Read the wiki and listen to senior members here. Irritation usually imo because of bad blade angle and pressure. I hold the razor like a dart. Few fingers and light light pressure. Remember the goal is beard reduction over multiple passes. Years of cart use has trained you to use pressure probably. Also remember not everyone's face is same. Some ppl can get BBS others cannot. I needed probably 30 shaves before I got the result I wanted. Good luck

Hello and welcome, Doug. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Let me start by introducing myself as a 2wk DE shaver. It has been rough. No nicks or cuts, but lots of razor burn. My tools are: feather as d2, sample blade pack, more blades, tons of soaps, few creams. My dad was a DE shaver. I never saw him use a cartridge. I have been using cartridge for 40 years and I tried DE shaving about 30 years ago with no luck. There wasn't the information available back then compared to today. Reading and watching everything I can. I'm getting the most razor burn on cheeks and around mouth. My neck, which is a problem for me has been doing pretty good. I haven't shaved around my m
Your Mouth?...mandible ? Mange?.... what else starts with an M

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, Doug.

As you indicated, pressure on the blade is what causes problems. Usually, it is a technique issue that gives rise to problems a new shaver is having. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

Lots of great advice in the above posts. The recurring theme is clearly no pressure, and blade angle. I agree wholeheartedly. Be patient, take your time to make a good lather, and shave slowly and carefully. Unlearning the habits of cartridge shaving takes time, because everything you've done in the past won't work with DE. Enjoy the process. :thumbup1:

I haven't shaved around my m

Be careful shaving around your m . That's a tricky spot indeed :scared:

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Good to hear your venture into traditional wet shaving was successful AND that you have decided to join us.

Do not be shy about joining in ANY of the conversations and meeting the members. We're all good friends here on B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Welcome! Traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes awhile to master. Suggest you take your time, read through the wiki and focus on technique. But the main thing is to enjoy the journey!

Welcome Doug! There are a few of us Dougs around here. Take your time and enjoy the journey. It gets better and better. As everyone else has already said, prep, pressure, and angle are the key. Be patient with yourself.

Top Bottom