What's new

Got my first egg

I could possibly have some chickens in the near future. What does your chicken coop look like? How do you keep the predators away?

My concern with the chickens is going to be keeping the snakes and coyotes at bay.

For the most part it's hope for the best when they are out and about in my backyardand when I'm not around,which isn't too often since I'm a stay at home father. When I am home, I constantly keep an ear out for a distress cluck. You'll know it when you here it. The neighbors cat avoids my yard these days. Has something to do with the thorny rose bush branches I've attached to the the top of the fence. I've yet to see any coyotes in my area, but they would have many other options in my neighborhood such as cats, small dogs, and abundance of squirrels, and other rodents. There's also mostly small garter snakes in my area and haven't seen any in my yard yet. The only real threat are the many types of birds of prey, particularly the Coopers Hawk that primary eats other birds.
For this, my yard provides many places to quickly run and hide. Athens last 40 minutes of daylight I put the chickens in their coop that has spring loaded barrow latches to keep the doors closed and is placed on top of a brick pad so nothing can dig under to get at them.
Here is a picture of of the coop I found at my local Home Depot while pricing materials to build a coop. Dollar to dollar it was cheaper and Lee's of a headache to buy and assemble a pre-made coop. This picture is just after I built it before deciding it would be a good idea to place it on top of bricks or concrete slab. Is advertised to hold up to six chickens comfortably if aloud to free range during the day. I personally wouldn't keep more the the 4 in it. I'm also only allowed 4 chickens per my zoning laws.
$tmp_30647-20160319_152811746652577.jpg

That was my first thought as well.

And make sure you compost that chicken manure before you put it on your garden.

I've started composting for the first time this year just for this reason.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've been looking at ready to assemble coops. Seems like the easiest option. I'll probably only need 3-5 chickens. I'm thinking they will free range during the day and coop up at night. I've also read that putting a motion activated light on the coop will help with the predators. And putting the coop somewhere in plain view. Not giving the predators anywhere to be sneaky.

Thanks for the info!

Where did you get the chickens? Local farm and fleet?

I've been looking at ready to assemble coops. Seems like the easiest option. I'll probably only need 3-5 chickens. I'm thinking they will free range during the day and coop up at night. I've also read that putting a motion activated light on the coop will help with the predators. And putting the coop somewhere in plain view. Not giving the predators anywhere to be sneaky.

Thanks for the info!

Where did you get the chickens? Local farm and fleet?

My coop is in plain view as well and my motion light turns my yard to day when on. Original intent for the light was to discouraged two legged critters.
I bought mine from a local farm and feed store. After doing some research I rediscovered the breed of my hens. The black one that lays brown eggs is a Australorp and my white one is a leghorn and should lay white eggs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think the leghorn variety is one of the most popular.
Now you got me all excited for chickens!

If you sell the eggs, get at least two cents a piece...
What a deal. When my wife lived in Geneva Switzerland the women would borrow their friends kids to go over the border into France to get eggs. They were allowed two dozen eggs per passenger without being taxed upon return.

Got my second egg today. My Leghorn laid her first egg today. Here is a picture of the egg and of the bird herself.
$tmp_17561-20160726_161034741787500.jpg
$tmp_17561-20160726_160932-502962344.jpg

Thanks. Now I need to decide how to prepare it. I love eating eggs just about every way you can cook them, so I have many choices to choose from.
If fresh chicken eggs are anything like the fresh pheasant eggs from my grandfather's pheasants, then I'm in for a treat. I'll let you know how they compare.

Wow I am envious!!

I do a couple scrambled every week day morning and vegi-omlets on the weekends. Great way to ease into the day.

If you sell the eggs, get at least two cents a piece...

That's practically giving them away here. A dozen large eggs at the grocery store usually cost no less than $2. Either way I don't plan on selling them. I want chickens so that I could enjoy eating fresh eggs.

One thing I really missed when my mother moved from the country into town was fresh eggs. She always had 15 or 20 heavy breed layer hens at her home and the fresh eggs were fabulous.

She always had a weather eye out for coyotes, Bobcats, and the very odd mountain lion(extremely rare in Kansas), but other than that it was not too bad. Hawks can and will kill and eat chickens no matter what anybody tells you.

She kept hers in a rather large loop area but would let them range during the day while she was there to watch. Feral dogs were really the worst threat.

I really like the heavy breeds for the fact that they gave a large brown egg and the yolks are orange as a sunset. Nothing from a grocery store comes anywhere near the taste. We can now legally keep chickens in town and I have thought about buying four or so. No bloody roosters though. Waste of feed and they always turn mean. And the zoning does not allow for crowing.

We recently got 5 chickens and one of them just started laying. We've had chickens before and they really are easy to keep providing they have a secure sleeping and foraging area. With regards to washing your fresh eggs if your nesting boxes are clean then your eggs are as well. When they are laid they have a natural "bloom" that keeps bacteria out, washing it off can allow the bacteria in.
Your two girls look nice and healthy. Enjoy your fresh eggs and the many ways cook them.

We recently got 5 chickens and one of them just started laying. We've had chickens before and they really are easy to keep providing they have a secure sleeping and foraging area. With regards to washing your fresh eggs if your nesting boxes are clean then your eggs are as well. When they are laid they have a natural "bloom" that keeps bacteria out, washing it off can allow the bacteria in.
Your two girls look nice and healthy. Enjoy your fresh eggs and the many ways cook them.

Thanks.

That's practically giving them away here. A dozen large eggs at the grocery store usually cost no less than $2. Either way I don't plan on selling them. I want chickens so that I could enjoy eating fresh eggs.

I was making a catch 22 reference...

As of today my hens laid 10 eggs total and today I finally ate some. Scrambled in a little bit of bacon grease and lightly salt and black peppered Those of you that told me about the yolks of fresh eggs being a beautiful orange were not kidding. They were the best tasting eggs I've had in nearly 16 years.
Anyway, here is a picture of the eggs. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of of them once cooked.
$tmp_11163-20160801_101207-662909020.jpg

Top Bottom