What's new

Cooling Off With Aftershave ?

In Mallorca, Spain we get a heatwave every year from late July to late August - or worse early September. Known locally as the "sweaty heat", people who live and work in it pray for rain every day.
When it finally happens, people who live and work here stand outside cheering and whistling oblivious to the fact they're getting drenched to the skin - known locally as "doing a rain dance"
The intense heat from the sun beats down and burns unsuspecting tourists who sunbathe on the beach very quickly so they look like surimi sticks.

It gets so muggy that going outside, especially after stepping out of an air conditioned building or car, feels like standing in front of a tumble dryer, the air is so humid it's like breathing steam.
A hot cup of coffee stays drinkable for hours because it never gets colder than lukewarm.
Butter or marge melts off the knife before you can spread it on your bread.
Forget making cheeseburgers - the cheese slices melt before you can unwrap them.
Cold beer needs to be consumed very quickly - it goes flat within 30 minutes
Shops fill their boots selling frozen bottles of water - tourists take them onto the beach, as it defrosts, they drink the water, and it stays ice cold right down to the last drop !!

Forget hot showers, you'll never get dry -
The only way is to take a lukewarm or cool shower, put a towel on the bed, stretch out and catnap with a fan blowing, you'll wake up dry - at least until you try to move !!
Cold water shaving provides temporary relief - but only with the door wide open, otherwise the bathroom feels like a Turkish Bath !!

At this time of the year I use a lot of aftershave, I choose something with a very subtle scent, La Toja Aftershave Lotion, Williams Expert Aqua Velva or Floid Vigaroso.
I splash it on liberally and often during the day, the menthol in the Floid and Aqua Velva are a relief in itself, but when the alcohol evaporates it also has a refreshing, cooling effect.
The scent is subtle enough not to knock anybody out, and the cooling effect helps me to forget about the heat - for a while anyway !!

Does anybody else use aftershave for cooling off ?

I try to. Unfortunately all the stuff that I hear is extremely cold is very expensive or hard to get. Things like Fine Snake Bite are ok. Often I will use Razorock 888 immediately before Fine Platinum or RR Tuscan Oud. The 888 makes them very cold, but only for a few seconds. I thought about getting some menthol crystals.

adamchur, your detailed description has many similarities to the climate in Charleston, South Carolina during July & August. I completely understand.
It amazes me how it is 80° plus ridiculous humidity at 5 in the morning. I start sweating almost instantaneously after stepping outside.
So yes, I use aftershave throughout my day. I stepped it up a notch this year and purchased menthol crystals and peppermint oil. I've been adding to various aftershaves and enjoying the extra cooling.

I'm in Texas, and we'll typically reach triple digit temeratures from June to September. The humidity will have you sweating straight out of the shower.
I like to use Osage Rub as an after shower body splash. Yep, all over. Liberally. After a day of yardwork, I've come to crave the cooldown effect it provides.

I try to. Unfortunately all the stuff that I hear is extremely cold is very expensive or hard to get. Things like Fine Snake Bite are ok. Often I will use Razorock 888 immediately before Fine Platinum or RR Tuscan Oud. The 888 makes them very cold, but only for a few seconds. I thought about getting some menthol crystals.
Pick up some menthol crystals for about $3. Add them to you favorite AS and VOILA! You now have a cold, inexpensive AS.

I have been using Barbasol Pacific Rush this summer as here in Louisiana temps are really high until mid October with humidity at 80% or higher on average days. The Pacific Rush has a nice scent that doesn't really last that much, but gives it a nice menthol cooling effect. I have been putting it in a sample sized spritzer and using it during the day. Scent is gone in about 30 minutes and it's very non-offensive.

adamchur, your detailed description has many similarities to the climate in Charleston, South Carolina during July & August. I completely understand.
It amazes me how it is 80° plus ridiculous humidity at 5 in the morning. I start sweating almost instantaneously after stepping outside.
So yes, I use aftershave throughout my day. I stepped it up a notch this year and purchased menthol crystals and peppermint oil. I've been adding to various aftershaves and enjoying the extra cooling.

Menthol crystals sound like an idea, I'll add some to Aqua Velva and possibly Floid in plastic spritz bottles

Menthol crystals sound like an idea, I'll add some to Aqua Velva and possibly Floid in plastic spritz bottles
You really can't go wrong with this. I crush them up, add to aftershave and shake. I would suggest using a scale to weigh the amount of menthol so you know what works for you.
It doesn't alter the scent in my opinion.

You really can't go wrong with this. I crush them up, add to aftershave and shake. I would suggest using a scale to weigh the amount of menthol so you know what works for you.
It doesn't alter the scent in my opinion.

I will definitely be doing this.

An aside to the beer conversation:

A beer rarely makes it past the 10 minute mark with me. Also not all beers are meant to be ice cold. Only American domestic swill generally. Most legitimate brews are best served at cellar temperature.

Try Pereja or another Turkish lemon splash. They're inexpensive, and I read (probably here on B&B) that on hot days in Turkey people pass bottles of it around on crowded buses!

Yep, mine too. Usually an Ale or IPA. Sometimes Guiness Stout.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Ale, IPA - if only it was available on draught in Spain, although to be fair cans of Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin make a very nice occasional (but expensive) treat
Draught Guinness is touch and go, but generally ok in hotels and very few bars, but costs more for a pint than I pay for 12 x 330ml cans of Steinberg Lager in Mercadona supermarket.
It's a bad idea for me to drink Guinness in public - "back in the day", about 7 years ago, when I used to go into Papi's Pub in Palmanova at 7:30am after I'd finished my night shift, I'd order 2 pints of Guinness, my 1st didn't touch the sides, and my 2nd lasted 10 minutes tops. Luckily the 2 girls who used to work the graveyard shift were both Irish and taught me a valuable lesson - they got me into the habit of ordering another pint when I was halfway through the one that I was drinking. I often drank 6-8 pints of Guinness between 7:30 and 10am every morning !!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Ale, IPA - if only it was available on draught in Spain, although to be fair cans of Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin make a very nice occasional (but expensive) treat
Draught Guinness is touch and go, but generally ok in hotels and very few bars, but costs more for a pint than I pay for 12 x 330ml cans of Steinberg Lager in Mercadona supermarket.
A bad idea for me to drink Guinness in public - "back in the day", about 7 years ago, when I used to go into Papi's Pub in Palmanova at 7:30am after I'd finished my night shift, I'd order 2 pints of Guinness, my 1st didn't touch the sides, and my 2nd lasted 10 minutes tops. Luckily the 2 girls who used to work the graveyard shift were both Irish and taught me a valuable lesson - they got me into the habit of ordering another pint when I was halfway through the one that I was drinking. I often drank 6-8 pints of Guinness between 7:30 and 10am every morning !!

I have tried Guinness on tap in 4 countries. The best I have had was in a small pub in Haarlem in The Netherlands. My wife like to never got me out of there. Back home in the states, my daily is Guinness Extra Stout. Not as good but a far bit better than any domestic US stuff. When I drag my tongue out of the gutter I drink Rocheforte 8 or 10, Orval or Leffe Bruin.

Osage Rub.... 'Nuff Said!

I keep Osage Rub in a spray bottle in my work bag. When I'm working out in the heat, a few sprays on my chest and back cools me down and keeps me cool for about 30 min. Then a couple more sprays and I'm good to go again.

Top Bottom