What's new

Roller Guard Razor, RAD rolls on.

Hello,

This razor reminds me of a Tech type razor with wheels. I own a Argentinian Roller razor as well that was getting lonely so you know how this story ends.

The razor is in good shape but there is significant plate loss. I am starting to love natural brass finish razors looks.

The rollers are floating slightly until the weight of razor positions them. Performance wise the razor is smooth but very, very, very, did I say very efficent?

I love efficent razors as I Shave head, face daily. This one also shares the characteristic of my other roller guard razor. It reapplies a small amount of lather. I guess it's kind of self lubricating? It is a very different kind of shave, very unique.

I had a three pass WTG, XTG, ATG shave. Col. Conk lime soap with a German Wilkinson Sword for the blade.
Did I mention this razor is very efficent? I now can go down one hat size!

Some eye candy below.

Cheers
John

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

With its brother.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the original handle. I have seen a few on eBay with the same handle. Here is a picture from compendium.

$image.jpg

Definitely looks like a Fat Tech handle, which was introduced in 1938, and that razor says patented in 1929. Plus, Gillette supplying parts to other companies? Highly doubtful.

Very nice razors, John. Congrats!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Really good photos, too. I agree with Jacquers that it would be nice to see the razor with a blade loaded so that we could get a sense of blade exposure, etc.

The bottom plates were sold by themselves.

There were complete razors sold with a cap and a handle apparently though I have never seen one. Only in pictures from the box and insert the roller guard comes with.

I have a scan of the paperwork and pictures of the NOS roller guards. The ones I have are nickel plated.

There's a couple different versions and at least three brands I think that made a similar roller guard base plate.

Shaved with my Castilla OC roller guard today. Really love that razor. I also have the Roller Guard made in Chicago bottom plate. It's a pretty good razor with the top cap that came with it.

Roller guard RAD: Caution, may be contagious.

If enough interest is stirred up perchance someone will offer a new roller guard razor for sale. All stainless steel with the spring type rollers would be nice.

Top Bottom