What's new

Checking in. Lost Mild Razor + Aggressive Trial = Going Nuts

Hello. First post here. I want to introduce myself and say that I am happy to find this forum. I am looking forward to interacting and learning from the experiences of others.

I have been wet shaving for a about 5 years- daily, or every other day. I transitioned from disposables to straight razors. But due to fortune and the need to take care of business more expediently, I settled on a few DE razors and became quite content. I say fortunate because I dropped my kami, missed my foot, and well, my probably saved my face. Shaving-wise, all has been peaceful, like clockwork every morning, usually shaving by feel while showering.

That peace ended a few weeks ago when I took my razor (first trip with it) on vacation and lost the cap at the first stop. Logic would dictate to replace it with the same and don’t rock to boat, but I was a bit upset that I could not purchase the cap and would have to replace the razor, so started researching here and there for alternatives/change of scenery. I hope not to be hasty in the coming months and end up with a drawer full of razors. I should say “go nuts”, because I already purchased a sensible replacement in the Gamechanger and followed that with a purchase of an “aggressive” razor, a Blackbird. I have returned the BB as it appeared to cause too much irritation. I slept one night and was regretting the decision as operator error was likely to be at least an equal contributor to irritation. Each day I was managing better, but I was convinced the process shouldn’t be a struggle when I had a system that worked. Consequently, I purchased the entire razor that was my no worries, trusty go to razor for years, the Feather AS-D2- that is the one I lost. I thought that would end this mess and it kind of did for maybe a day – no peace of yet.

The set of circumstances and decisions over the last 3 to 4 weeks has resulted in the wheel spinning – up is down and down is up sort of stuff -and it is equally exciting and troubling. For instance, I laughed when I first read people saying they like blade feel and aggressive razors, but weeks later, the idea is no longer foreign (or amusing) to me, and while I don't fully comprehend the benefit and tradeoffs, I am beginning to and am curious. No longer am I convinced as I once was, that while I have sensitive skin in areas, an aggressive razor is unsuitable, but rather mindfulness and experience are needed. Would I ever shave by feel in the shower with an aggressive razor as I do my AS-D2? Probably not, and maybe a reason to have options (but not a drawer full of razors). I hope to achieve convergence for preferences in time after some degree of exploration and learning. I have a '63 Gillette Slim that usually eats my face. I will try to revisit this old friend with some patience, a light hand, and good prep/technique to see where this takes me. Meanwhile I will alternately enjoy the comfort of the Feather and Gamechanger while also earning from more experienced folks here.

Welcome. I've been put into another bathroom for shaving since the master bath is being remodeled. I've blind shaved with mild and aggressive and it's just a question of paying attention.

Welcome. I've been put into another bathroom for shaving since the master bath is being remodeled. I've blind shaved with mild and aggressive and it's just a question of paying attention.
I am beginning to believe this. And good to know others feel so comfortable. Is the extent of hair growth the deciding factor in which to grab? I am wondering how many use aggressive razors for daily/every other day use. It may be overkill, but if irritation is not an issue, then the decision may fall to another level - speed/efficiency, ease of use, nimbleness, etc.

Welcome.

I wish I had a similar attitude when I began here a few months ago. Now, instead of one EJ89, there is an additional 10.5 razors.
I am definitely pumping the brakes after taking the plung with the Blackbird. I can see how this can get out of control- there is no standard, and how do you know what is best for you unless you try them all- wait; I didn't say that.

I am beginning to believe this. And good to know others feel so comfortable. Is the extent of hair growth the deciding factor in which to grab? I am wondering how many use aggressive razors for daily/every other day use. It may be overkill, but if irritation is not an issue, then the decision may fall to another level - speed/efficiency, ease of use, nimbleness, etc.
Yes, I prefer an aggressive with a few days growth, but a milder one for daily use. I shave most days.

I don't think you mentioned which Game Changer you have, but my taste runs towards mild razors and my top three non-vintage razors are the Game Changer 68P, the ASD2, and the Timeless 68SCL (scalloped safety bar).

You don't need an aggressive razor to get a close shave. I would say that my beard is average in every way, and I can get very near BBS with little or no irritation in three passes.

I had an open comb 95 plate for the Timeless and used it for a couple of weeks. It required much more care and attention than I was willing to give, so I quickly sold it.

No regrets, and I think that using the 95 plate actually gave me a greater appreciation for the other, milder razors.

No matter what you choose or where you land, welcome to the forum and good luck. 🙂

I don't think you mentioned which Game Changer you have, but my taste runs towards mild razors and my top three non-vintage razors are the Game Changer 68P, the ASD2, and the Timeless 68SCL (scalloped safety bar).
I purchased the .68 and .84mm solid bar. First impressions are the .68 is similar to the Feather, while the .84 is more aggressive, but comfortable. I used the .84 this morning with little irritation.
You don't need an aggressive razor to get a close shave. I would say that my beard is average in every way, and I can get very near BBS with little or no irritation in three passes.
Sound advice and agreed-much appreciated.

I shaved 1/2 my face with the Feather (on one day's growth), and the other with the BB the day before the I returned it (both two passes) and I could not detect a closer shave with the BB. I even recruited my wife to inspect (blind test) and she said the side I shaved with the Feather was smoother. Now I am making no intrinsic claims to the razor since I am much more experienced with the Feather, but good enough is good enough. And it is easy/safe on my skin. That was one piece of logic that I couldn't shake and led to the return. BTW I noticed on an aggression scale (found here, wonderful!) it is rated a 1.5/10. Interesting.

I don't think I explained my reservation in returning the BB. It was one part simply attractive, but also nimble and I liked the pronounced audible feedback. Sometimes I get the angle a little wrong with the mild razor leaving patches that require additional attention. Not an issue with BB, but then there was the other aspect. The GC .84 might be a good compromise for me, but I don’t think I will ever stop using the Feather for daily use.
No regrets, and I think that using the 95 plate actually gave me a greater appreciation for the other, milder razors.

No matter what you choose or where you land, welcome to the forum and good luck. 🙂
I know what you mean and thank you!

Welcome to B & B, enjoy!

Sounds like a case of RAD. We all have been there and we may visit from time to time.
Thanks and true. I kept reading "RAD" in peoples posts and had to look that one up. But yes, we all get a little impulsive and curious about "the other side". I have done so elsewhere in my life, so not a unique feeling. The dust will settle again. Now with soaps, I have only scratched the surface. I will venture here a bit, but there is probably a slippery slope for that too.

Thanks and true. I kept reading "RAD" in peoples posts and had to look that one up. But yes, we all get a little impulsive and curious about "the other side". I have done so elsewhere in my life, so not a unique feeling. The dust will settle again. Now with soaps, I have only scratched the surface. I will venture here a bit, but there is probably a slippery slope for that too.
I have just gone through a soap buying phase myself. In my opinion it s a very large rabbit hole bigger perhaps than the razor rabbit hole.

I have just gone through a soap buying phase myself. In my opinion it s a very large rabbit hole bigger perhaps than the razor rabbit hole.
Dreaded. I have always been more of a "jewelry guy" than a comb and cologne guy. Now if I ever learn (or believe) these really make a difference (not process, end result), I will be in trouble for sure.
Welcome aboard!

IMO, it’s great to have options. Mostly, ENJOY the journey!
Good advice. I suppose one should refrain from allowing too much logic to spoil the journey. Just don't lose sight of sanity in the process.

Top Bottom