What's new

Recommendation TOBS

Hi!

I started wet shaving not too long ago and I am currently using Proraso White preshave, Proraso Red soap and a Crabtree & Evelynn aftershave. I tend to get pretty irritated though with red bumps on my throat area and itching in my face.
I Am not sure which product that could cause this?

I Am thinking of acquiring a complete line of TOBS which pre, cream and after. Which is better? If anything is?
I noticed they have the black ones for sensitive skin, but I have no allergies that I Am aware of so should I go black or are the other ones Also quite gentle?

A LOT of questions. Hoppfully in the right please otherwise feel free to redirect me!

Hi!

I started wet shaving not too long ago and I am currently using Proraso White preshave, Proraso Red soap and a Crabtree & Evelynn aftershave. I tend to get pretty irritated though with red bumps on my throat area and itching in my face.
I Am not sure which product that could cause this?

I Am thinking of acquiring a complete line of TOBS which pre, cream and after. Which is better? If anything is?
I noticed they have the black ones for sensitive skin, but I have no allergies that I Am aware of so should I go black or are the other ones Also quite gentle?

A LOT of questions. Hoppfully in the right please otherwise feel free to redirect me!

It's quite possible those are signs of razor burn and ingrown hairs and not a reaction to your soap. However, we did have a person who was allergic to badger hairs not long ago so hard to say what it is. I would suggest you give it a couple days to heal and try again to know for sure.

As for TOBS, I love the Avocado and think it's a great place to start.

Hi!

Yes possibly but I have tried a lot of different blades and have mild razors, but maybe I Am very sensitive to razor burn.
Used different types of brushes also.
Maybe I should try that out then :)

Hi!

Yes possibly but I have tried a lot of different blades and have mild razors, but maybe I Am very sensitive to razor burn.
Used different types of brushes also.
Maybe I should try that out then :)

I had bad razor burn for several weeks after first starting but once I got better it really helped. To see if you are sensitive to your Proraso put some lather on the inside of your elbow for about 10 minutes and see if you react. You might want to try to get some Nivea balm and some good face cream to help soothe your skin. I used a tea tree oil and aloe cream and that seemed to help as well. Once you have figured out what the cause is you can go from there.

How many passes are you doing? Sometimes if I do too many passes in certain areas I get irritation. I used the Nivea Balm which was pretty good and easy to find. Another thing you might try is stretching your skin on the neck area when you shave. I do it all the time and all over my face with my straight razor, but I find it helps with my safety as well when it comes to doing my neck.

I had bad razor burn for several weeks after first starting but once I got better it really helped. To see if you are sensitive to your Proraso put some lather on the inside of your elbow for about 10 minutes and see if you react. You might want to try to get some Nivea balm and some good face cream to help soothe your skin. I used a tea tree oil and aloe cream and that seemed to help as well. Once you have figured out what the cause is you can go from there.
Me too , the razor burn when I first started wet shaving was horrendous, my face would feel like it was on fire afterwards, nowadays I only get razor burn if I am very careless or if I use a particularly bad soap/cream

Don't go buy the full TOBS stuff until you eliminate issues with your current set-up. Sounds to me like you need to map your beard. Bumps can come from shaving against the grain and you may be doing that inadvertently.

Also, try your set-up with one element left off to see if that element is the one causing the issues.

Good luck.

I have tried a lot of different blades and have mild razors

Maybe those mild razors are not exactly what works effectively on your face. As long as you will not easily remove the hairs, and you will need to insist upon the same area, it does not matter if the razor is mild, as you will get irritated. Add those insistences to a badly developed technique, and you get a bad shave. Try changing the way you shave. Map your beard, try going in different directions in areas where you get razor burn. Don't do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

BSA Guy may be right. It could be your ATG passes that are causing the irritation. That happened to me. Only on my neck. I have now gone back to only WTG and XTG on my neck only. No more bumps. As for TOBS, the first one I bought was their Sandalwood and I'm now on my second tub in 7 months. My second favorite TOBS cream is Eton College. Good luck in solving the irritation thing. You'll get it. Just be patient. It took me about 2 weeks to figure it out and see the bumps go away.

Top Bottom