What's new

What's up with this "Pokemon Go" thing?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sometimes looking out over the car park at night at work watching them all over, I almost fear for my car! I was killing a coffee the other day at work before getting out of the car and some kid banged his knee off my front bumper.

A 14 year old girl in PA got hit by a car, and both she and her mother blamed the game. Did the name not exist, they would just do something else silly. Stupid people do stupid things, and don't need a game to help them out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Everyone criticizing this needs to tell us their age, so I can point out all the much stupider fads your generation got suckered into....
I admitted this in a Fashion Faux Pas thread in the Haberdashery- after the Thriller video, I owned a replica of the red jacket, with all the zippers, that Jackson wore in the video. I know, embarrassing as all get out. Luckily, I did all my stupid things before the advent on online videos :biggrin:

A 14 year old girl in PA got hit by a car, and both she and her mother blamed the game. Did the name not exist, they would just do something else silly. Stupid people do stupid things, and don't need a game to help them out.

Working in a college, I see plenty of stupid people doing stupid things!

This Pokemon thing is getting out of hand!

These Pokemon are invading my shave gear!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then I ran out of Pokeballs, and had to catch one the old fashioned way...

proxy.php

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, see what I mean...! :001_rolle

BALTIMORE –
proxy.php
A man playing Pokemon Go while driving ended up colliding with a Baltimore police officer's parked patrol car early Saturday morning.

The officers had just responded to a 911 call and were standing on the sidewalk around 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday when one officer's body camera recorded the accident.

They were standing steps from the vehicle when, suddenly, a tan-colored Toyota RAV4 slammed into the patrol car at high speed.

No one was seriously injured, and when officers caught up to the driver he seemed more embarrassed than anything.
The driver got out of the car holding his phone so police could see the game, and said, "That's what I get for playing this dumb a** game."

"#PokemonGO is not all fun and game," Baltimore police tweeted. "Here is a video of a distracted driver who struck one of our cars. #PlaySafe".

Work Cited: http://pix11.com/2016/07/20/driver-playing-pokemon-go-hits-cop-car-in-accident-caught-on-video/

"Safety [just] doesn't happen by accident". Pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a good post somewhere the other day:
"If you are too young to relate the current political/social climate to 1968 and too old to feel nostalgic about Pokemon, you must be from Generation X."
Pokemon: Go on the weekends is for little boys.
REAL MEN play Whiskers: The Gathering on a daily basis

At its core, it's just an augmented-reality based evolution of a 20-yr-old RPG, and harmless lines of code compiled into an APK binary, but the way people are handling it, I dunno.

Is Pokemon: Go still a thing?

Its been running for a couple of weeks now.
It seems to have fizzled out around here.
At first, everybody was playing it and talking about it.
It was all over Social Media and news sources.
But now, you hardly ever hear about it anymore.

The sudden cellphone zombie onslaught during my evening walks has all but disappeared, the outside world was just too much.

dave

As long as no one asks me to rationalize my razors and shave soaps I will never ask them about their little obsessions!

Oh this right here! I won't pass judgment on someone who may have fun doing something that I may think is strange. Everytime anyone new walks out of my bathroom I get the, "OMG! Do you actually USE all of those razors, soaps, aftershaves!?!". :blink:

I have been having a blast playing this with my kids. My oldest is 18, middle is 14 and youngest is 2. I get to get out and walk with them and spend time with them. Before they would have looked at me like I was ab-so-freakin-lutely crazy if I asked them 'Hey, do you want to go out and walk for fun?'. Now a 5k walk is pretty standard, it even is starting to feel a bit short. Since we started playing, we just crossed the 100k mark as a total distance covered.

That is 62 miles that I have got to spend with them walking and talking and such. :thumbup: They are actually happy to get away from the keyboards and get out and walk with the old man.

You don't hear about it anymore, because it's been going on for more than a week and it's old news. Trust me folks are still playing. On my way home last night I stopped at one of the Poke hot-spots and was there from about 10-11pm. Cars were coming and going that entire time, and there were about 8-10 people walking around the park at any given time during that period.

I went on a hike today and saw two people playing pokemon way out on the trail in the middle of a beautiful forest. I don't think they even knew what a beautiful place they were in.

Top Bottom