What's new

Shift Work & Fitness. Possible?

Whats up guys?

Anyone here work on a shift work schedule? I've been doing it a little over a year and figuring out how to be healthy & stay in shape is a real *****..

Any tricks?

I've never done shift work but I typically work a 7am-7pm and get to the gym around 830 and stay till closing (11pm) this is pretty brutality on the body since my job is straight up physical labor but I'm also 20 years old so I still have that energizer bunny in me

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Welcome to B&B! I'm unable to do it when I work. 12-14hr shifts and a 45 min. commute each direction makes for too long a day. Some of my younger co-workers who live closer to work do it regularly though.

I often worked shifts and found it difficult to stay in shape. In large part this is related to body rhythms in hormone secretion IMO. Unfortunately, my solution was to get out of working nights! I did not find another trick.

A little more info like what your exact work schedule is and what your fitness goals are may make it a little easier to give you some advice.

I work 2nd shift 3p-11p on a 6 days on 3 off schedule. I actually enjoy second shift because I usually don't have to set an alarm and can get to the gym before work. I aim for at least 4 times per week.

I guess my advice would be just make it a priority to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week no matter what. Even if you dont feel like it. Hardest part about working out is getting to the gym. If your working a 12 hour shifts you probably have quite a few days off so maybe just hit the gym on your days off.

Also, diet trumps exercise. If your working long shifts or nights it can be easy to fall into poor nutrition habits. I always pack my own lunch and will make 2-3 days worth of food at one time and store it in Tupperware. Also healthy snacks like almonds, bananas or a protein shake is easily packed into your lunch box and should hold you over for quite awhile.

Find an activity you like that you will make time for ( for me it's basketball-with others and alone if need be)

Give yourself an hour 2 the gym-no more, no less. If you work the circuit w/o breaks using light weights, you can stay in shape. Once a month or so, lift heavy until tired.

I work a split shift regularly 2 days off, 1 on, 1 off, 3 on from 2p-12a. Add in an hour commute each way.

The exercise is worth the effort though. And when you can't, don't. Go for a walk and do calisthenics at each stop.

marty

A little more info like what your exact work schedule is and what your fitness goals are may make it a little easier to give you some advice.

I work 2nd shift 3p-11p on a 6 days on 3 off schedule. I actually enjoy second shift because I usually don't have to set an alarm and can get to the gym before work. I aim for at least 4 times per week.

I guess my advice would be just make it a priority to go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week no matter what. Even if you dont feel like it. Hardest part about working out is getting to the gym. If your working a 12 hour shifts you probably have quite a few days off so maybe just hit the gym on your days off.

Also, diet trumps exercise. If your working long shifts or nights it can be easy to fall into poor nutrition habits. I always pack my own lunch and will make 2-3 days worth of food at one time and store it in Tupperware. Also healthy snacks like almonds, bananas or a protein shake is easily packed into your lunch box and should hold you over for quite awhile.

Find an activity you like that you will make time for ( for me it's basketball-with others and alone if need be)

Give yourself an hour 2 the gym-no more, no less. If you work the circuit w/o breaks using light weights, you can stay in shape. Once a month or so, lift heavy until tired.

I work a split shift regularly 2 days off, 1 on, 1 off, 3 on from 2p-12a. Add in an hour commute each way.

The exercise is worth the effort though. And when you can't, don't. Go for a walk and do calisthenics at each stop.

marty
Great advice, and maintain good diet too.

That's some good advice. I like the idea of getting to the gym 3-4 days a week. I used to work out everyday without even thinking about it, so now it's just tough finding a middle ground. Every day of the week doesn't seem possible

The diet part is hard. There can be a lot of downtime in 12 hour shifts and our crew oftentimes will cook huge meals.

Btw, I'm on a 12 hour rotating shifts DuPont schedule. It's messed up as hell haha

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I used to have a very demanding schedule (not shift, but long, irregular hours), and the best thing I learned is that you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

If you have two hours, great! Use it. If you have ten minutes, great! Use it. Nothing is too little. It all adds up.

As mentioned, diet also matters. It all adds up.

And just because you can't get to the gym is no reason to not workout and stay fit, the gym is not a necessity.

dave

And just because you can't get to the gym is no reason to not workout and stay fit, the gym is not a necessity.

dave
Great and true fact... it's all about your calorie intake and proper food, exercise is a good suplemtation to the physical fitness process.

I used to have a very demanding schedule (not shift, but long, irregular hours), and the best thing I learned is that you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

If you have two hours, great! Use it. If you have ten minutes, great! Use it. Nothing is too little. It all adds up.

As mentioned, diet also matters. It all adds up.

Well said. My previous job was 7am-3pm, then I would go to the gym until 5. The game is totally different now

I worked night shift for several years. It's not easy, but it can be done. You may not be able to keep a regular exercise schedule, but you can fit in workouts either before or after work, and use your off days for really hitting it. Not ideal, but it can work. :thumbup1:

I worked rotating shifts for over 25 years, and without my gym time I wouldn't have survived. Other than what has already been mentioned, try to figure out a workout schedule that you can keep regardless of which shift you are on. It is often easier to work in your training schedule to have you wo king out on days off, particularly with 4/40 and similar schedules.

I worked rotating shifts for over 25 years, and without my gym time I wouldn't have survived. Other than what has already been mentioned, try to figure out a workout schedule that you can keep regardless of which shift you are on. It is often easier to work in your training schedule to have you wo king out on days off, particularly with 4/40 and similar schedules.

Good to know people that worked rotating shifts and made it out with at least some semblance of health!!

I've tried the whole thing of working out before day shifts, or working out after night shifts and I can't seem to keep it up haha. My shift changes are at 5:15 am/pm.

My goal right now is to work out after waking up during night shifts (easiest for me), and work out at least 20 minutes on my days off.

Got a 45 minute jog in today in fact!

Good to know people that worked rotating shifts and made it out with at least some semblance of health!!

I've tried the whole thing of working out before day shifts, or working out after night shifts and I can't seem to keep it up haha. My shift changes are at 5:15 am/pm.

My goal right now is to work out after waking up during night shifts (easiest for me), and work out at least 20 minutes on my days off.

Got a 45 minute jog in today in fact!

That's the ticket! I always worked out after getting up when I was on nights. I knew some people who hit the gym before going to bed, but that really messed with my sleep. I trained before night shifts and after day shifts for the most part.

Top Bottom