What's new

Favorite Shaving Purchase

My Wade & Butcher Wedge, great shaver!
proxy.php

My best purchase was also the best value - a Fatip Piccolo I won at auction with a Mühle brush for about $15 equivalent. I was a bit nervous because it was my first time with an open comb and I'd read a lot about how aggressive it was supposed to be. I knew from the first stroke that I'd found The One.

My recent favorite shaving purchase were 3 Gillette Adjustable razors, all for $12 at a Thrift Store, Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) in very good condition. Bottom three of picture. Other than that, it is my Weber PH with Classic Handle.

$Picture 2.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The single biggest game changer for me was discovering Godrej Red. Less than a buck a tube in Dubai, where I first purchased it. Slickest lather imaginable, and softens whiskers phenomenally if you give it a chance. This stuff improved every shave, not just my straight shaves. Beats the pants off Proraso, good as it is, or any soap. Superlather made from Godrej Red on VDH is heavenly. I try to always stock up when I am in the middle east rather than paying $5 a tube online.

All of these. For soap, ABC and TIKI land locked tallow (pic) (both discontinued); for cologne, Penhaligon Opus 1870.

.$IMG_0388.jpg
Joris, Gillette New LC, ATT H2, Braveheart, Weber, Feather DX

Last edited:
  • Canadian Pre-war Fat-handle Tech - my first three-piece razor, and only $10 at an antiques shop.
  • Simpson Wee Scot brush - it's like driving a little sports car.
  • Mennen Skin Bracer AS - I didn't think I'd like a cheap drugstore AS, but I do really like it, and look forward to using it in my rotation.
  • Williams Mug Soap - but only after grating it, adding water (or AS), and mashing it into an empty glue stick or deodorant stick container.
-

Last edited by a moderator:
Two razors:

1.) A Maggard MR11/V3A - a gift rather than a purchase. Looks aggressive as can be, but very smooth on the face, especially with a Derby Extra or a 7 O'Clock SS.

2.) A post-war 1940's Ball End Tech. Super mild, bu efficient. Pairs beautifully with a Feather.

I have two, my ATT Atlas R1 and Stirling Synthetic Kong brush. Both blew me away and are now my only DE and brush.

Only been DE shaving since Christmas, but I have 2: a 1976 Gillette black handle Flare Tip for $5 and Tabac soap in ceramic bowl for $10.

Top Bottom