What's new

Single Ring Old Type Question

What if anything can be done with an old type where the first 5 or 6 threads on the screw post are worn? That means they don't catch or engage right away but it can still be screwed in and tightened down to hold the blade in firmly. Can the screw post be replaced? I'm guessing no but I'm no machinist.

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of taking it to the jeweler. Seems like a more permanent fix.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am not sure I would want to modify a Single Ring. Using Edgars solution leaves the razor original.

If some of the threads are stripped, then it seems likely that the rest of them could become stripped over time resulting in an unusable razor. Even if you can argue it isn't original after being fixed, what good is an unusable razor from a collector's standpoint? If it has been braized and rethreaded, I figure it will have more value than if it became completely stripped and unusable. Disagree?

I agree, a broken razor has much less value, some would use it only as a parts razor. I would have it fixed! $icon_yes - Copy.gif

Depends on your local guy. Find someone who does his repairs on site rather than someone who will send it somewhere else to be repaired.

Depends on the guy, there's a guy here who has done small things for me for nothing, a happy customer is good for business.

Some will want to make their money today and the heck with tomorrow, check with the small independent type place not the big name jewelers.

there is a thread repair kit at most parts stores that should work wonders.its not like the razors are heirlooms or something.repairs then replating and only you will know.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I have a ball end tech with stripped threads. I used a small piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the threads then screwed it into the head, I haven't had a problem with it since. Could this damage the razor?

I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I have a ball end tech with stripped threads. I used a small piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the threads then screwed it into the head, I haven't had a problem with it since. Could this damage the razor?
would'nt think so,sounds like you repaired the threads

That sound OK to me, but with this or Teflon tape. I would take a good look at it every now and then, to be sure it doesn't start balling up and getting to thick in spots.

Top Bottom