What's new

I think i just bought. Old

Going by the pictures ive found on the web i think its a 1920's Old. Ball on bottom with neruling on the ball, a flat bottom, brass. Its got a little crack in the top of the handle so i might have to get it repaired. I just had to have it for the price. It was cheep for sure. My first classic. Will have to wait till i get my hands on it to see if i can match up some numbers of some kind. I figured evan if its junk, its old as hell. Why not.

Any recommendations on how to repair a crack? Or a good place to send it? I can arc weld but that isnt going to do any good here. Ha. Im still looking for the fat boy. I figured out how to search and pull up 1000s of listings. And spent a couple hours going thru them. Will do this for a couple weeks to get to know what im looking at and learn the searching options then see about buying. Good way to learn them.

Congrats!

Most Old's have a small crack and most ignore it unless it is visibly spreading apart. I have three OT's and they all have that small hairline crack in the handle. We have quite a few OT guru's here that can send you to the right links for closing up a really bad crack.

Thanks for the links. Ill check them out. And when i get it in my hands ill get a pic and one after i clean it up too. Standard brass cleaner ok? I mean if i plan on using it does the cleaner matter? Or just a good washing before it gets used be ok?

Not a smoker but it costs little more than a pack of smokes and sense the wife is a smoker she cant complain about the price.:biggrin1:

Last edited:
A good washing and some scrubbing with a toothbrush should be fine. Brass cleaner might take the nickel plating off, if it has any left. Although it sounds like most could already be off. If it has any bent teeth, leave them as is, trying to bend them straight has the risk of breaking them off.

Looks like a brass 1920 ball-end to me. Going by mr razor pics. No case or original blade so...

Didnt look like any bent teeth but i guess i see when i get it.

Does it look like this?

Attachments

• $s-l1600 (6).jpg
    $s-l1600 (6).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 138
  • $s-l1600 (7).jpg
    $s-l1600 (7).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 139
Yes. Im going to try to put up a couple pics...$$_3 (1).JPG
$$_3 (2).JPG
$$_3 (3).JPG
$$_3.JPG

Last one is second one i got with the Old.
Hey, it worked. With my phone while doing 75mph. Ha

Im hoping the dates on the pics are not that old and operator just forgot to set date on his camera. I dont condone texting and driving. Im a truck driver. Driving is like breathing to me. Plus im in the middle of nowhere kansas right now and can see straight highway for 50 miles and not one vehicle.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice razors!

As mentioned, that crack is common. Repair it off you like, but you don't need to unless it prevents you from tightening the razor properly. Of course, there's nothing wrong with fixing it off you just want to.

If those babies arrive as clean as they look in the pics, there's hardly much reason even to clean. A hot water soak and a scrub with a toothbrush will get you where you want to be. There's no reason to use anything very harsh. You could give it a quick soak in jewelry cleaner, if you like. A cycle or two in an ultrasonic bath also works well.

You wouldn't polish the brass? I thought it would look pretty nice with a shinny brass handle. I 5hink i will repair it. Just to keep the crack from getting bigger in the future.

Recieved the two razors in the mail today. The travel/aluminum razor is dated L4. Sa6s Mexico on it but is marked Gillette on the top cap. 3 piece. Needs cleaning but the finish is not worn out really bad.

The 1920 brass has some rust on the underside of the top cap. The handle has a small crack at the top and thr top of the handle come out of the handle. Not staying together good enough to shave with so it will need.repaired.

Not bad for the price i paid but need to clean and repair.
Will post pics later.

Recieved the two razors in the mail today. The travel/aluminum razor is dated L4. Sa6s Mexico on it but is marked Gillette on the top cap. 3 piece. Needs cleaning but the finish is not worn out really bad.

The 1920 brass has some rust on the underside of the top cap. The handle has a small crack at the top and thr top of the handle come out of the handle. Not staying together good enough to shave with so it will need.repaired.

Not bad for the price i paid but need to clean and repair.
Will post pics later.

A Mexican Tech, nice! :thumbup1:

The Old Type ball end handle can be easily repaired

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...cked-handles-shafts-in-Gillette-Old-Types-etc

Congrats on your new razors!

OK. I cleaned and polished and WOW. Now if I can get the pics to show here. I just use my phone for a camera so I hope these show the looks the way I see them...
$20160705_164220[1].jpg$20160705_164152[1].jpg$20160705_164258[1].jpg$20160705_164328[1].jpg$20160705_164538[1].jpg
I have to admit that they are a bit small compared to the three new razors I own. E.J., Merkur Slant and R41. So I might add the weight to the handle with the repair.
Thank you all for the great info on the repairs. I'll post up after the repair on what it looks like then. This is a great addition to a new collection. I'm thinking I will end up with many, many razors before I stop collecting. I do plan on using all my razors at least once and more if they work well.

BTW, I won the Fragrance PIF an hour ago and this is my first PIF. I will be making PIF's of my own in the future! It's a great thing that this forum does and I want to do my part to help keep it going.

Top Bottom