What's new

First Week of DE Shaving - What I learned

So, I've come a long way since starting last Sunday. I know, it has only been a week and I still have ways to go, but I getting the hang of it.

Items used this week:

RazoRock Super Knurl DE Safety Razor
Derby Extra DE Blades
Italian Barber Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin - Primavera
Omega S-Brush S10019
Witch Hazel / Alum
Nivea Cooling Post Shave Balm

This morning I took a look back at the posts about each shave this week. I really am surprised with how far one can come, in only 7 shaves. Here is a summary of my first seven shaves. Click the links for the detailed posts:

Day 1: TOO Much Pressure!!! Lather was ok, needs work

Day 2: Still too much pressure, but felt better. Lather still needs work.

Day 3: Getting the hang of it!

Day 4: 1st Damn Fine Shave!

Day 5: Don't get cocky! OUCH!

Day 6: Good Shave, no details

Day 7: Another DFS! Went back to bowl lathering. This video really helped me get it dialed in!

So, the best piece of advice I can give to someone just starting out.

• Watch How-to videos! This really has helped me! The follow YouTubers have some good ones:
    • Nick Shaves
    • Michael Freedbrge
    • TSE
    • Watch these, then watch again, then decide which Technics you want to use.
  • Then write down what you are going to try! I was having issues with lathering. I then figured out I was trying different things that I saw people doing, but they didn't together.
    • Example: I saw people blooming soap, so I tried that. However, I didn't know that if you do that, you need to load with an almost dry brush.
  • Have the basic equipment:
    • Razor - Do you research and get the best your budget allows but don't go all out. You can always upgrade later.
    • Blades - Get a tuck (5 blades) of a Derby's, plus a sample pack. Use up Derby's to get your technic dialed in. Then try the other blades to see what you like best.
    • Brush - Get a good, inexpensive synthetic brush to start. Again, you can upgrade later.
    • One Soap - Get good with this, before trying others
    • Alum block (and/or Witch Hazel)
    • Shave Balm
  • Only do a 2 pass shave, straight down both times. Maybe some LIGHT cleanup, then STOP. DFS and BBS shaves will come in good time!
  • The above will allow you to focus on NO PRESSURE!!! Too much pressure is your enemy!
  • If you are new, you need to give yourself time to shave. You CANNOT rush through shaving with a DE razor. You'll end up getting cut! Wait to do your first shave when you have plenty of time to take it slow.
  • Use this forum to ask questions and experiment with things on your own.
  • Enjoy the Shave!
Well, that's what I have for now. I hope this helps!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
And just like that, I take a step back. I was rushing today. Went too fast, which lead to to much pressure and too many passes. Good reminder shave! LOL

And just like that, I take a step back. I was rushing today. Went too fast, which lead to to much pressure and too many passes. Good reminder shave! LOL

Ah well, who doesn't stumble once in a while? It's early in the semester; I'm sure you'll bring your average back up.

Great to see you're off to a good start. It keeps getting better and better. Soon you'll do it without even thinking, it's just natural. But now and then there's still that occasional morning where it just doesn't go well (in a hurry, tired, off your game for one reason or another). It doesn't matter, a few dabs with a styptic pencil and you're good to go. :thumbup1:

Thank you, everyone! I know there are going to be "those shaves" and I'm really okay with it. Just going to learn from those mistakes and know my shaves will get better and better. Case in point had another DFS today! :001_cool:

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Matt

Top Bottom