What's new

Grease lubricanr when repinning?

Anyone know if putting grease lubricant when repinning vintage razor at the rear pin that holds the blade is a good or bad idea?

In other word, is it likely the Bakelite, horn, bone or ivory scales will be very bad affected? I most wonder about Bakelite scales.

I understand that the grease can be visible and look black and not so good in the area....

Reason: prevent rust and uneven open/close & looking function between blades &scales

I pin dry for the reasons you mention. Are you sure the Bakelite is Bakelite and not Ebonite (hard rubber)? Hard rubber wouldn't be affected, but natural materials like horn, bone, ect... Would be. If you want to lube the pivot you can use a bit of paraffin wax. Also be careful about liquids and celluloid. prolonged exposure will cause celluloid to deteriorate and out gas nitric acid!

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for a very good answer!

Didn’t know hard rubber was used for scales before.
I have a vintage razor with scales that seems to be something between wood and plastic, maybe it is rubber...

Ah, thanks for a very good answer!

Didn’t know hard rubber was used for scales before.
I have a vintage razor with scales that seems to be something between wood and plastic, maybe it is rubber...

Hard rubber has been used in consumer products since the 1840's =)

I'm with him. I personally won't use oil and never a grease on a razor when pinning. A coat of Renwax prior to pinning , sure. I prefer the friction that makes a razor behave predictably and not flop around in your hand like some dead eel which some oiled razors do . Pain too when it come so honing /stropping with the scales going every which way besides stay where they should . It just makes things more difficult with no benefit in sight and possible damage as has been pointed out .

Top Bottom