What's new

Flea market day

Thanks for the info. I thought that maybe the case. That makes me sad that I had to lap most of the tan away. I liked the look of that, but it needed to be flat. Oh well maybe it will darken over time again. I put it out for a few hours over the weekend and didn't notice any change.

I wonder if anyone tried leaving it wet in the sun? Kind of like a water stain.

Last edited:
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

More clues. Anyone seen the 5 notches in the corner before or this slurry. Slurry stone is a Thuri and looks color about the same, but stone
doesn't look the same. Just honed up a razor that was done on a Thuri feels just as sharp if not sharper.
will shave soon and see.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I still have no clue. Vintages slates can be hard, and sometimes impossible to identify. I have 5-6 here that I have no clue what they are. Some perform well, others don't. Hopefully the shave will go well and you'll have yourself a nice unknown finisher. Let us know.

By the way how's that coti doing? Has it settled down after lapping?

I still have no clue. Vintages slates can be hard, and sometimes impossible to identify. I havee 5-6 here that I have no clue what they are. Some perform well, others don't. Hopefully the shave will go well and you'll have yourself a nice unknown finisher. Let us know.

By the way how's that coti doing? Has it settled down after lapping?

Shave went very nice. Felt a little crisper, but final results where just as good as the other thuris I have used. It is definitely a good finisher and not harsh. Surface of stone looks almost textured but is just as smooth as my thuris almost 3D. I like that it is a vintage slate I already have thuris, so it is nice to get something different.

David I have only used the coti one more time since then so to early to tell. I chose to test this slate today and had to devote time to jnats earlier this week. I plan on using the coti some this weekend. I will let you know.

David the coti has definitely calmed down alot. Only now I think it must be the steal, but using my knife it was like lightning on water and slurry was even faster. The knife is 440 steel. I use a hybrid slurry stone to test so all slurry is from the base stone. I will try a few more razors and see. I really need to test this one more to see. It has a great creamy yet hard feel to it.

Strange update on the coti. After more testing I would lean heavily toward LGB and it is turning out to be my favorite coti layer. Now the strange part. Cleaned up a nice Tally Ho razor I got for $12 at a booth just down from where I got the hone. Seemed like I had to use the two together. So all cleaned up and start to reset bevel seem normal slurry turned black. The heel needed some work so I broke out the LPB cause it is much narrower. Same slurry turns black. Now I go back to the big LGB and slurry starts turning a funky brown. I have never had slurry turn brown like that. Do you all think it could be because of the tan part of coti?

Ok cleaned off went to bbw side real nice then back to top and it all seems normal again. Strange maybe it was something I couldn't see on the razor.

Top Bottom