What's new

Recommend a new hair product

Friends, I come to you looking for some recommendations for a new hair product. I keep my hair a little on the longer side of traditional, 2-3 in (5-8cm) on the top. My hair is fairly oily and my head fairly warm. Oil-based pomades, such as Brylcreem or Murray's Original Pomade tend to melt or dissolve during the day and leave my hair an oily mess within a few hours. The only water-based pomade I've tried is Suavecito Firme Hold (I used it as a mustache wax for a while). I found it difficult to work with on my hair, and it turned into an unworkable mess after a few hours just like the oil-based pomades.

I've tried and been fairly happy with:
  • American Crew Molding Clay
  • L'Oreal Overworked Putty
  • Sebastian Matte Putty (I'm currently using this and have an unopened 75g/ 2.6oz container that will make its way into a PIF once I find something new that I'm happy with.)

However, all of the above have parabens or other nasty preservatives in them. Are there any traditional, or non-traditional, clays or putties without these harmful ingredients that you might recommend?

If you can get a hold of it, Paul Brown "Hapuna" hair cream works well. No nasty ingredients that I recall. I have a tub in my locker at work. Not the strongest hold but smells decent. 8 oz jar is about $16 here in Canada. So, likely less if you're in the U.S.

proxy.php

If you can get a hold of it, Paul Brown "Hapuna" hair cream works well. No nasty ingredients that I recall. I have a tub in my locker at work. Not the strongest hold but smells decent. 8 oz jar is about $16 here in Canada. So, likely less if you're in the U.S.

Thanks for the recommendation! It does have phenoxyethanol in it, and I'd like to avoid that.

I recently found that Baxter of Califorina Clay Pomade doesn't have anything bad in it, and EWG gives it a 2 for Low Hazard. I'll be ordering some once I make it to the bottom of my current product.

Generally speaking, I don't like using hair products. If I need to use a gel or mousse or pomade to hold my hair in place, that tells me its time to get a haircut.

But then I discovered this stuff ...

Jack Dean's Eau de Portugal hair tonic.
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Dean-Cl...69760223&sr=8-2&keywords=jack+dean+hair+tonic

This has a bright, citrusy aroma. They also make a Bay Rum version, along with other hair pomades and balms.

If I don't have time for a full shampoo, I sprinkle some of this on and it cleans and degreases my hair. It also adds just the right amount of shine and hold, but it doesn't build up and get too heavy. I can use it several days in a row and it never makes my hair feel overloaded.

The magic ingredient in this product appears to be macadamia nut oil. I don't know of any other hair product that uses this particular oil, but it seems to work wonders here.

I'm on my second bottle of this stuff in 4 months, and it looks like it will become a staple in my rotation. I originally ordered from shaving.ie, but the Amazon price is much better.

Layrite just released a new product - Natural Matte and it is absolutely fantastic. It's sort of been the holy grail hair product that I have been looking for.

It's more of a cream, but has a really good hold and it's matte. You can also brush through your hair later in the day and restyle and the hold remains.

I highly recommend it.

proxy.php

Aside from goops and gels and splashes, consider some new hardware.

If you don't have them already, get a Kent hairbrush and comb. I have their military brush (MG2) and pocket-sized comb that I've been using for about 5 years now. From the first time I put them to my head, I could feel that these were superior tools. The way they feel in contact with my scalp is like nothing else I had ever tried before, and I haven't used anything else since.

They are available from many familiar e-Vendors of wetshaving supplies. I got mine from the "GBKENT" store on eBay. It took around 5 weeks to arrive, but it was ordered during the rush of the Xmas season so that could account for the long delay.

Be sure and get a hairbrush cleaning tool at the same time. Your brush will become gunked up and smell funky after a few weeks of use, and you'll need a good stiff brush to pick out the accumulated hair. There are chemicals that will clean and sanitize it (like ShipShape) but I just hold mine under running water and it gets it "clean enough."

If you want a product that doesn't melt in heat and humidity that gives shine look for Morris Motley's Chrome. They are out of Australia and prices are in Australian dollars. If you're looking for a matte product get their Treatment Styling Balm. It held up in Thailand during the height of summer with 90f+ days and 90%+ humidity.

If you want a product that doesn't melt in heat and humidity that gives shine look for Morris Motley's Chrome. They are out of Australia and prices are in Australian dollars. If you're looking for a matte product get their Treatment Styling Balm. It held up in Thailand during the height of summer with 90f+ days and 90%+ humidity.

Is the hype about Morris Motley Styling Balm warranted or is it maybe a bit overrated? It's quite expensive. I wish they would they distribute their products in North America - so you can buy on Amazon, etc.

Layrite just released a new product - Natural Matte and it is absolutely fantastic. It's sort of been the holy grail hair product that I have been looking for.

It's more of a cream, but has a really good hold and it's matte. You can also brush through your hair later in the day and restyle and the hold remains.

I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tip. The ingredients look promising.

Aside from goops and gels and splashes, consider some new hardware.

If you don't have them already, get a Kent hairbrush and comb. I have their military brush (MG2) and pocket-sized comb that I've been using for about 5 years now. From the first time I put them to my head, I could feel that these were superior tools. The way they feel in contact with my scalp is like nothing else I had ever tried before, and I haven't used anything else since.

They are available from many familiar e-Vendors of wetshaving supplies. I got mine from the "GBKENT" store on eBay. It took around 5 weeks to arrive, but it was ordered during the rush of the Xmas season so that could account for the long delay.

Be sure and get a hairbrush cleaning tool at the same time. Your brush will become gunked up and smell funky after a few weeks of use, and you'll need a good stiff brush to pick out the accumulated hair. There are chemicals that will clean and sanitize it (like ShipShape) but I just hold mine under running water and it gets it "clean enough."

Those are some nice looking brushes and combs. I'm not much of a brush person, but I'll likely pick up a comb soon. I often just use my fingers to style my hair.

Do you know what is in their product? I can't seem to find an ingredient list anywhere.

Is the hype about Morris Motley Styling Balm warranted or is it maybe a bit overrated? It's quite expensive. I wish they would they distribute their products in North America - so you can buy on Amazon, etc.

Well it is in Australian dollars so with shipping it's about 45; you do get a bit more in oz than the standard size in the US so cost per oz is about the same as something like hanz de fuko; I think it's 3.5oz but I don't have it in front of me. And yeah; it's totally worth the hype; my go to product for the past year easily.

Do you know what is in their product? I can't seem to find an ingredient list anywhere.

Yeah; it's impossible to find. I had to take a picture and send it to a friend who asked about it awhile ago so I have that. It has the following:
Aqua, Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Lanolin, Jojoba Esters, Kaolin, Bentonite, Pentylene Glycol, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Cetearyl Glucoside, Polysorbate-85, Silica, Keratin, Olive Oil Decyl Esters (and) Squalene, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Neroli) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherols, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Serine, Lysine, Histidine, Glutamic Acid, Proline, Glycine, Alanine, Valine, Methionine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Tryosine, Phenylalanine, Crsteine, Phospholipids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Choelecalciferol, Litsea Cubeba (May Chang) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Hybrida (Lavandin) Flower Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Pelagonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Juniperus Mexicana (Juniper) Extract.

It's been the nicest product I've used on my hair as far as a styling product goes, easy to apply, easy to style, and extremely easy to wash out. A lot of the scientific sounding ingredients above are different amino acids

Well it is in Australian dollars so with shipping it's about 45; you do get a bit more in oz than the standard size in the US so cost per oz is about the same as something like hanz de fuko; I think it's 3.5oz but I don't have it in front of me. And yeah; it's totally worth the hype; my go to product for the past year easily.

Yeah; it's impossible to find. I had to take a picture and send it to a friend who asked about it awhile ago so I have that. It has the following:
Aqua, Hydrogenated Olive Oil, Lanolin, Jojoba Esters, Kaolin, Bentonite, Pentylene Glycol, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Cetearyl Glucoside, Polysorbate-85, Silica, Keratin, Olive Oil Decyl Esters (and) Squalene, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Leaf Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Neroli) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherols, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Serine, Lysine, Histidine, Glutamic Acid, Proline, Glycine, Alanine, Valine, Methionine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Tryosine, Phenylalanine, Crsteine, Phospholipids, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Choelecalciferol, Litsea Cubeba (May Chang) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Hybrida (Lavandin) Flower Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Pelagonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Juniperus Mexicana (Juniper) Extract.

It's been the nicest product I've used on my hair as far as a styling product goes, easy to apply, easy to style, and extremely easy to wash out. A lot of the scientific sounding ingredients above are different amino acids

Thanks for typing out the ingredient list! I really appreciate it. Does it smell as amazing as it looks? I'm imagining complex citrus & lavender, followed by carnation (geranium & clove), with some green forest notes from the juniper.

It is mostly citrus; like a much more complex and nuanced juicy fruit gum; the lavender plays a back note with the geranium playing off the citrus.

I also have oily hair, but I find it dries out if I shampoo too much. I use Jeris with oil if my hair is dry, and without if my hair is oily. I then follow with Blind Barber or Uppercut water based pomade if I'm not afraid of it melting out, or Reuzel oil based if I want an all day hold.

Top Bottom