What's new

Favorite soap finds of the year.

2016 has been a very good year for my soap stash and I have found quite a few new favorites!

Chiseled Face
PannaCrema: Nuavia and Pure2O (I think I like Pure2O slightly more than Nuavia!)
BlueBell Soaps
Sudsy Soapery
Haslinger
Tabac

Have some Mystic Waters CocoSandal on the way, which I hope fits in with these also.
I'm going to try very hard to not make any more soap purchases. My current soaps are outstanding!

Good new soaps were: Tabac stick, great quality packaging, scent and same soap than the puck one; Nanny's Silly Soap Traditional, Down Home Summer, a beast with tallow and a pure vetiver scent; Musgo Real puck soap, as hard as a toilette puck, difficult to lather, but great scent and great foam, once you got it. Those were my 2016 best findings.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
With 2016 drawing to a close, here's my my 3017ing log has shown me using this year...

Nov.21 - Jan.05.2016.....Mama Bear Cucumber Mint (partial puck)
Jan.06 - Feb.15.2016.....Mama Bear Dragon's Blood (partial puck)
Feb.16 - Apr.17.2016.....Cella, Crema da Barba all'Olio di Mandorla
Apr.18 - May.22.2016.....Klar Kabinett (partial puck) **** converted to Nougat blend with 5 other soaps
May.23 - Jun.07.2016.....Proraso Sandalwood (partial tube)
Jun.08 - Sep.27.2016.....nougat (partials of Klar Kabinett, Valobra stick, La Toja stick, Mama Bear's Hydrogen, Mama Bear's Hazelnut, and Arko)
Sep.28 - Oct.28.2016.....Samples (Stone Cottage Hesperides, Mama Bear Spicey Lime)
Oct.29 - Nov.10.2016.....WSP Tobacco, travel puck
Nov.11 - Nov.21.2016.....WSP Matterhorn, travel puck
Nov.22 - xxx......Monsavon

Discounting the nougat blend ingredients and the Klar Kabinett (as it's no longer made), I would be more than happy with:
a) any Mama Bears soap (Just bought 40oz last month)
b) Stone Cottage's creams'n'soaps

New this year:
L&L Grooming - I have Marshlands and Darkfall. Can't see using either on an everyday basis, but fairly original as far as scents go and performance is great.

Tallow + Steel - Recently picked up their Dark and Rainforest scents. Rainforest is very nice, but Dark is amazing. I simply cannot stop opening that jar randomly just to sniff the scent. I don't often pick up aftershaves because I already have a huge fragrance collection, but I think I will be adding this to a cart soon.

New to me this year:
Chiseled Face - Midnight Stag. Had to have this as one of my eccentric scents. More people need to take chances making scents. I love the unusual, and shaving with gun oil and leather is certainly an interesting way to start a day.

Barrister and Mann - This was totally my own fault. My first samples were of Roam and Leviathan when they were on the market. Those scents didn't work for me and I pretty much wrote them off. Then I finally came around to giving them another shot. Now Hallows, Dickens and First Snow sit in my collection and Seville may be next on the list.

B&M Lavanille and this Trigodon from India:

$soap.jpg

Taconic Eucalyptus Mint soap. It has been out for a while, but it's new to me.

It doesn't seem to be mentioned much around here, but I've enjoyed it mostly because of the unique, refreshing scent. It lathers up pretty nicely if you use the right amount of water (otherwise it can be a little unstable). Not the best protection, but good slickness. Also inexpensive.

I've been looking for next level soaps and I've found several so far. It's easy to find an excellent soap as there are tons of them out there but it's hard to find those top tier outstanding ones. I find myself using soaps from PannaCrema or Sudsy Soapery most days and then switching it up here and there to include a particular scent that I'm fond of or an old favorite.

Outstanding
1. PannaCrema Nuavia - the very best soap I've tried but it's expensive.
2. Sudsy Soapery - my second favorite and very reasonably priced.
3. PannaCrema Pure2O - a lot of the same properties as Nuavia but more difficult to lather, maybe even slightly slicker.
4. Midnight & Two - this one is another outstanding soap but unfortunately it's a bit costly coming from Canada. I haven't bought it yet but I'll likely pick up a tub of Province (lavender) at some point. The matching after shave balms are excellent as well.

Excellent and really close to my top level but not quite there.
Dr. Jon's new formula - if this were a bit slicker it would be in my top tier. The old softer formula is nice but the new formula is much more impressive.
Obsessive Soap Perfectionist - another great soap that almost makes my top level but not quite. I could easily use and enjoy this soap.
Cold River Soap Works (new V2 and Olivia Formulas) - impressive and almost there but more slickness is needed for my top level. An excellent choice and the scents are great.

I'm supposed to be trying Tallow & Steel soon (this Tuesday) which I have high expectations for. Phoenix and Beau is getting great recommendations as well but I haven't tried it myself yet (I want to). So those two are on my radar and could be top level candidates but time will tell.

I have a lot more that I really like for example:
WSP Formula T
Martin de Candre
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow - not longer avail
Le Pere Lucien - another great French soap that I enjoy
AOS old tallow formula soap made by Valobra
RazoRock Mudder Focker - this one is made with mud and is in my opinion RazoRock's best offering

I have a lot more soaps in my rotation than this and I do reach for others here and there.

No Saponificio Varesino? It's my first year but I've tried quite a few soaps already, and SV is the bees knees to me.

nothing like you of course so I was curious what you thought.

ETA asked and answered.

What gersion did did you use? They keep updating them, which I find very impressive for a more commercial operation.

I don't know if the original is a huge difference to 4.2 that just came out or not so it may be a moot point.

Last edited:
No Saponificio Varesino? It's my first year but I've tried quite a few soaps already, and SV is the bees knees to me.

nothing like you of course so I was curious what you thought.

ETA asked and answered.

What version did did you use? They keep updating them, which I find very impressive for a more commercial operation.

I don't know if the original is a huge difference to 4.2 that just came out or not so it may be a moot point.

I own two SV soaps (Felice and Dolomite) and I do enjoy them quite a bit. The Felice a bit more as I really like the scent. I've also tried several other soaps from their line (most all of them) in different versions as a good friend is a big fan of them and send me samples of just about everything they offer.

I find them to be another excellent soap that does everything right and presents no obvious flaws. I just don't find them quite as impressive as the soaps that I prefer over them. Again, nothing at all wrong with them as they still have a place in my shave den, I just find some other soaps that work better for me.

A couple great additions this year. SV is top notch for sure but the shocker for me was Tcheon Fung Sing Red from their traditional line. I had no expectations of it since it was a throw in item to an online order but i can't believe how well it performs in every aspect. Not easy to find unfortunately.

I like them a lot. I had to get someone on my team to carry them back to the US for me, they do not ship. They lather if you look at them funny and have very unique scents compared to anything from the US I've tried. I've given one away in a contest and might trade one or two of the others.

My favorite soap finds of the year are my top two soaps made today:

JabonMan Premium Tallow.
L&L Grooming.

Manuel's new JabonMan formula is the finest lather I've encountered in over 20 years of wet shaving.

L&L has become the favorite US artisan. Wonderful soap all around.

It's been a while since this thread was written to but I'm constantly looking for some ideas of must try soaps. I'm trying to find some that I want to try as well as some that can be added to the soap sample passaround box so that you guys can try them too.

Currently I'm on a quest to try Bufflehead Soap but I'm not having any success. The vendor has a day job and is not really concerned about cranking out a lot of soap for profit. I can respect that but it's certainly not making it easy for me to get a hold of some.

I'm not looking for the Tabac's or the Proraso's or anything that's been around and is pretty much mainstream by now, so please skip those. I'm looking for the obscure, the very best of the best, new elite soaps to challenge the absolute best soaps I've ever tried. Keep in mind that I've tried most of what's out there so unless it's really new or hard to get I've likely tried it. Are there any recommendations? Surely there's some new soap maker, that I haven't found yet, sitting in their basement cranking out the very best shave soap ever made.

Suggestions please....

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It's been a while since this thread was written to but I'm constantly looking for some ideas of must try soaps. I'm trying to find some that I want to try as well as some that can be added to the soap sample passaround box so that you guys can try them too.

Currently I'm on a quest to try Bufflehead Soap but I'm not having any success. The vendor has a day job and is not really concerned about cranking out a lot of soap for profit. I can respect that but it's certainly not making it easy for me to get a hold of some.

I'm not looking for the Tabac's or the Proraso's or anything that's been around and is pretty much mainstream by now, so please skip those. I'm looking for the obscure, the very best of the best, new elite soaps to challenge the absolute best soaps I've ever tried. Keep in mind that I've tried most of what's out there so unless it's really new or hard to get I've likely tried it. Are there any recommendations? Surely there's some new soap maker, that I haven't found yet, sitting in their basement cranking out the very best shave soap ever made.

Suggestions please....

sudsy soapery is off the hook :001_tt2:

A new one to me from Utah that I've been getting great results is Beehive. I really like the Crisp Alpine Stream scent. It is supposed to be Creed Silver Water. The lather is fantastic!

Top Bottom