What's new

Favorite soap finds of the year.

I gotta try this one, I read a review on it the other day and it has me interested.

It's fantastic. You won't be disappointed!

www.lainess.com

I contacted them by email. It was very easy to work with them and it was here in a week.

€18.50 + €9 (shipping) = €27.50

It's 100g. So it's not cheap but it's also not crazy expensive (IMO).

Definitely worth a try if you are considering it.

It's fantastic. You won't be disappointed!

www.lainess.com

I contacted them by email. It was very easy to work with them and it was here in a week.

€18.50 + €9 (shipping) = €27.50

It's 100g. So it's not cheap but it's also not crazy expensive (IMO).

Definitely worth a try if you are considering it.

I've bought soaps directly from Cyril at Le Pere Lucien before and the process seems very similar.

+1. On my not so short list of soaps to try

Yeah, mine too, but I try not to buy new soaps that often now. I already have so many and most often what I buy isn't as good as what I already have. So I feel that every time I buy something blind I'm just setting myself up for a disappointment. I should find someone to trade a sample with of maybe we should order a puck and split it to minimize the risk.

On another forum I knew a member that would buy a few soaps, remove exactly half of each soap right down the middle, then sell the three original half full tubs as a package deal for about half of what he paid for the soaps and shipping. I thought this was a great idea since I have so many soaps that I never seem to finish anything anyway.

Yeah, mine too, but I try not to buy new soaps that often now. I already have so many and most often what I buy isn't as good as what I already have. So I feel that every time I buy something blind I'm just setting myself up for a disappointment. I should find someone to trade a sample with of maybe we should order a puck and split it to minimize the risk.

On another forum I knew a member that would buy a few soaps, remove exactly half of each soap right down the middle, then sell the three original half full tubs as a package deal for about half of what he paid for the soaps and shipping. I thought this was a great idea since I have so many soaps that I never seem to finish anything anyway.

I'm guessing this would go over well on the BST.

You might even be able to split it in thirds and sell 2/3

It's been around a couple years but I just got around to trying B&M Latha. I thought it was just as good as the regular B&M. I didn't like the scent of the Oceana sample I bought but I'll probably get a tub of Taiga come winter.

It's been around a couple years but I just got around to trying B&M Latha. I thought it was just as good as the regular B&M. I didn't like the scent of the Oceana sample I bought but I'll probably get a tub of Taiga come winter.

I didn't find it quite as good as their regular soap line but I thought is was pretty decent, especially for the price difference between the two.

I have 4 or 5 soaps/creams currently. My 3 favorite so far, in no specific order, are TOBS Sandalwood, Catie's Bubbles LPV and one I just got tonight which is very nice, PAA Cad.

No love at all for the $3 Van Der whatever from WalMart.

My favorite this year is Wholly Kaw. I was really surprised with this soap. My favorites in my den are b&m, crsw, stirling, maggard, dapper dragon, and mlsw, but Wholly Kaw hangs in with them. I wasn't expecting so much from a vegan soap.

Tried a couple from Deluxe shaving Company, blue moon, which they call a cream but isn't really any different from a soap and 13. Got them to get free shipping because I wanted to try their brush. Both of them perform really really well, but, the scent of the blue moon is pretty bad, at least to me. Smells like dirt.

Taiga is AMAZING! You won't be disappointed.

Dfoulk - you did not mentioned anything about Stirling - how do you position this shaving soap in your top ten ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

I posted earlier in this thread that my find of the year was Jeeves of Hudson Street. Still love that soap, but I have to add one more: Dr. Jon's. I got the Savannah Sunrise and it's great. I also hear he has a new formulation that was just released this week that is supposed to be even better.

So now my two finds of the year are Jeeves of Hudson Street and Dr. Jon's.

Dfoulk - you did not mentioned anything about Stirling - how do you position this shaving soap in your top ten ?

When I started wet shaving Stirling was one of the first soaps that I tried and I often recommend it to new people because it's priced nicely, they offer samples and it's a very protective soap. Their customer service is outstanding and Rod is a hell of a nice guy. As far as the soap performance goes the stuff is very slick which I really like. The prices are great and the samples are very generous. The lather is more gel like than many others which doesn't bother me at all either. The only negative is that after the shave it leaves behind a sticky face feeling that many don't care for. Some of the scents have a clay smell as well.

This is a soap that doesn't make my regular rotation so it's not in my top ten, but I do have some put aside in a cabinet in my closet and I do use it every so often. Every time I use it I wonder why I don't use it more often. I like the MITA and the Cool scents. In fact, I usually mix them together half and half and I like it more this way than either one by itself. Kind of like a cooler version of MITA.

When I started wet shaving Stirling was one of the first soaps that I tried and I often recommend it to new people because it's priced nicely, they offer samples and it's a very protective soap. Their customer service is outstanding and Rod is a hell of a nice guy. As far as the soap performance goes the stuff is very slick which I really like. The prices are great and the samples are very generous. The lather is more gel like than many others which doesn't bother me at all either. The only negative is that after the shave it leaves behind a sticky face feeling that many don't care for. Some of the scents have a clay smell as well.

This is a soap that doesn't make my regular rotation so it's not in my top ten, but I do have some put aside in a cabinet in my closet and I do use it every so often. Every time I use it I wonder why I don't use it more often. I like the MITA and the Cool scents. In fact, I usually mix them together half and half and I like it more this way than either one by itself. Kind of like a cooler version of MITA.

Thank you Dfoulk for your insights - I have actually the old and the new version of Stirling, I use the old version in the winter and the new version in the summer - true that the old version leave a kind of grassy layer on the face that I appreciate during very cold weather actually.

I had a pretty conservative top 10 list until I start to read about your post - I'm waiting for Sudsy shaving soaps (stacked in Chicago for 1 week already as far as the tracking wants to let me know ...) I have also ordered the new version vol.2 of Dr Jon's ( I did like the former version) and I have a PannaCrema on its way from Spain :)

I have a good collection of shaving soaps already and I really wonder what you have in your top 10 rotation ?

Top Bottom