What's new

Heljestrand razors?

Polarbeard's the resident expert on Heljestrands. For me they're all good! =) If the razor you're looking at is in good shape, and the price is right go for it!

I'm in love with the thumb notch on the MK No. 31s. It fits my hands perfectly, locking the little razors into my grasp in a way that they practically become extensions to my hands. Greatest invention in wet shaving invention since sliced bread (which was initially done with a razor, fyi, jk)!

Polarbeard's the resident expert on Heljestrands....

Yep, I'm sure that Arne will be offering his insights soon. :thumbup1:

Some have a thumbnotch, some don't. I'm on the opposite side as Larry regarding them - that is why I like the MK 7 and MK 2 the best. YMMV of course. :001_cool:

Talk to me about these beautiful razors....why ones are the best to buy, which are the rarest etc.
Oh my were should I start? I believe that the others already have given some good answers. For a first Heljestrand I'd choose a 5/8 with our without thumb notch. No matter the model number 3, 4, 7, 8, 31 etcetera they are really basically the same blade, arguably the best full hollow 5/8 ever produced. If you can live without the ivory and thumb notch of the 31 you get the same shaving experience with the others.

Swedish razors are small so the larger sizes are rather rare. A 32 is 6/8 and a fantastic razor but it'll cost you a leg and an arm it you are able to find one. Don't get me started about the 33, I've never seen one.

There are some late production razors that are larger. You recognise them by their high model numbers. They are good not classical Heljestrand razors.

There are people like me that praise the 30 4/8, but then we're talking about a small razor.

Avoid the framebacks and the Kindal razors they are not of the same quality as the rest.

If you can find the shoulderless no 16 you've got yourself a very good and rare razor.

The near wedge 24, 23, 41, 42, 923 are really great wedges, but not for everyone.

So to start were I begun; for a first Heljestrand I'd really recommend a full hollow 5/8. No one can deny that they are really good razors.

The only thing you can be really sure of is that once you got your first one there soon will be more. After a while you'll start exploring the many other Swedish brands as well. Good luck, take a deep breath and dive in.[emoji2]

Last edited:
Oh my were should I start? I believe that the others already have given some good answers. For a first Heljestrand I'd choose a 5/8 with our without thumb notch. No matter the model number 3, 4, 7, 8, 31 etcetera they are really basically the same blade, arguably the best full hollow 5/8 ever produced. If you can live without the ivory and thumb notch of the 31 you get the same shaving experience with the others.

Swedish razors are small so the larger sizes are rather rare. A 32 is 6/8 and a fantastic razor but it'll cost you a leg and an arm it you are able to find one. Don't get me started about the 33, I've never seen one.

There are some late production razors that are larger. You recognise them by their high model numbers. They are good not classical Heljestrand razors.

There are people like me that praise the 30 4/8, but then we're talking about a small razor.

Avoid the framebacks and the Kindal razors they are not of the same quality as the rest.

If you can find the shoulderless no 16 you've got yourself a very good and rare razor.

The near wedge 24, 23, 41, 42, 923 are really great wedges, but not for everyone.

So to start were I begun; for a first Heljestrand I'd really recommend a full hollow 5/8. No one can deny that they are really good razors.

The only thing you can be really sure of is that once you got your first one there soon will be more. After a while you'll start exploring the many other Swedish brands as well. Good luck, take a deep breath and dive in.[emoji2]

Thanks Arne...that makes things so much easierbb

Magister dixit.
It's all there !

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I truly regret every Heljestrand I ever sold...(about a dozen). The MK No.31 is my all time favorite model and I have owned more examples of these in ivory, bone, horn, tortoise, and celluloid. I thought I wanted a larger MK No. 32 or 33 and after owning a short handful of each, I truly enjoy the shave from the 31 the very most. Thankfully I still own one, masterfully scaled in custom made Buffalo horn with a Matodon ivory wedge.
$s-l1600.jpg$s-l1600 (1).jpg$s-l1600 (2).jpg$s-l1600 (3).jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I also put the pair of #31 in my front row. They both were rescued from the wild. The ivory scaled on the left is a orphan, a Thursday
from a seven day set. The thumb notch fits my large hands comfortably. The # 30 on the top, also in ivory, is like a sports car, small but nimble, can turn on a dime.

Put out one in your den. It could be your buy of the year.

$image.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Just be warned, if you get one that is not shave ready, you will need patience to put it that way. They are hard steel. Once you get it there it will hold the edge for a long time, however.

.... and find them separate sleeping quarters! as they have a tendency to multiply rapidly. Since taking this photo there have been 4 more deliveries. They are like rabbits! :lol: and they co-mingle with EA Berg, Neistrom and have even more offspring!!:lol:

$Heljestrands.JPG

Top Bottom