What's new

synthetic

What is everyones opinion on synthetic brushes for face lathering. I've been using the van der hagen brush that came with my starter kit from Wallyworld, and while O.K. I feel like I want to step up to something a bit nicer. I'm thinking synthetic for cost vs. longevity reasons.

also.....what kind of life can be expected from a good badger brush as opposed to a synthetic? I am under the impression a synthetic will last longer, but realize that might not be the case.

I don't know about longevity, but I don't think you can go wrong from a cost standpoint on synthetics from Maggards, Plissoft, or Whipped Dog. They are all relatively inexpensive and lather like demons. A decent badger will cost much more.

I bought a Body Shop synthetic to use for travel. I hate the way the natural bristles seem to take forever to dry out. I really don`t care for it, it seems far to springy for face lathering. At least it was cheap.

I have the VDH brush that you speak of! I used mine for about 2 1/2 years until I discovered a whole world of brushes. I actually have 2 of those badger brushes, 1 Omega Pro48 boar, a Semogue 830, and out of curiosity, purchased an Omega Hi Brush Synthetic this weekend off of eBay. I got the barber pole handle one. Will let you know how that goes! I would have skipped the Pro 48 quite honestly. Too much loft, but some folks might really like it. I think that the construction and quality is damn good on that Omega though.

I have about 5 different synthetics and I exclusively face lather. With a loft set the way I like they work just dandy once you learn how to lather with them. No idea how long they would last compared to a badger knot. The first synthetic brush I tried was from The Body Shop and it almost put me off synthetics altogether.

Bob

Synthetics are great for face lathering since there are so many companies that offer many plisson-like knots at a cheap price. Synthetics will last a long time due to their quick drying and lack of soap residue at the base of the knot. I have a Maggard synthetic for months now and it still looks brand new. If I were to pick a good synthetic I would choose the Razorock Plissoft or similar brush on their website (ItalianBarber).

Maggard synthetic & Omega S Brush. Both whip up a thick lather with my Arko shave cream. They both splay about even on my face while applying lather. They are also inexpensive compared to other synthetics out there but, do a great job for me.

thanks for the replies, folks! I'm leaning towards either a maggard's or maybe the razorrock monster......been reading good thing about that one.

I got the RazoRock Disruptor synthetic shaving brush -- it is terrific for face lathering and quite good looking too.
$delme.jpg

Just got a Maggard and liking it so far. Similar to the Plisson but a wee bit 'stiffer'. I also like the S Brush line a bit, but nothing beats the EJ an Muhle knots to me.

$image.jpg I love my Edwin Jagger 21P36 v2 synthetic brush. Inexpensive (about Au$30). I use it for face lathering, gives thick rich lather, fits well in hand. Works well with a crop like the pictured Omega but enough backbone to work equally well with hard soaps (I'm using D.R Harris Marlborough at the moment).. Dont need to wear in or soak (quick rinse under the tap wets it up, a couple shakes gets rid of excess water) and dries quickly.

I've got a $10 Razorock Pilsoft synthetic and it is literally the best brush I own for face lathering. Highly recommended.

Maybe it's the way I lather or something, but I have a hard time with large brushes if I'm face lathering. Bowl lathering, it doesn't really matter, but I'm just so much more comfortable with a small brush. Too bad more companies didn't make size options in synthetics.

I have several synthetic brushes. The only one I had difficulty with was a small 20 mm knot.

After a streak of great synthetic brushes, I now think I like a nice badger or boar better. I have stopped using the synthetic brushes except for traveling.

I have the Maggard 24mm marbled plissoft brush. It works great for mug lathering and face lathering.
A-1 on that.! I have one on the way. Great synthetic brushes. Even though I already have one with the black handle, this Marbled one cached my eye. Great synthetic brushes IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom