What's new

Anyone keep a separate brush for different soaps?

I have noticed that when I use a strongly scented soap, like Tabac, the scent left on the brush after cleaning is still fairly strong.

If the next day, I use a mildly scented soap like Haslinger, then I can still detect the Tabac.

So, I have kept an Omega 10065 especially for the Tabac (it's actually a mix of Tabac and Woolfat).

Anyone else keep separate brushes for certain products, either for the above purpose, or perhaps for a different purpose?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've never noticed a lingering scent on any of my brushes even with my strongest soaps.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like to use Boar with Arko and always finish with Ice Blue Aqua Velva or Florida Water out of 150 aftershaves.
Badger with creams usually and Synthetic usually, with whatever else.

But never say never. :)

As a rule, I use :
Unbranded wooden handled horsehair brush from China for face lathering, usually with soap or croap, but very occasionally with cream.
Unbranded cream handled badger brush from China for bowl lathering with cream or croap, I've tried using it for face lathering with soap, but it didn't go well
Unbranded black handled dark badger brush from England, it's ok for face or bowl lathering with soap, croap or cream, but I use it almost exclusively for mixing superlathers

Not at all.

I do recall a member some time back saying that one of his good badger brushes had become stained due to the highly colourful shaving cream which he had been using, but if I recall correctly that situation corrected itself once he started to use a different lathering product.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don't use different brushes for different soaps, but I do usually a badger for creams and a boar for hard soaps. I can usually only smell the soap or cream I am using at the time.

Adam

There are certain soaps that I take extra effort to rinse since this has happened to me in the past. A very well rinsed brush typically only has a slight odor from the last soap.

I use my Maggard synthetic & Omega S brush for cream soap. They both whip up a ton of thick lather. My Omega Boar Pro 49 for hard soap. Tabac is not for me after reading reviews of it.

I used to think I would prefer national brushes with their counterpart soaps: boar Italian, horse Spain/Portugal, badger England/France Northern Europe... But then I realised if I got on a tear for one group of soaps it could be quite some time using the same brush or not using another given brush. So I just rotate through three samples, one of each - I've given up on synth; life is too short - and find it's two days drying for each day use. Then, there are those instances when I decide to bring another example up and use it instead of the guy sitting on the counter~

I sort of do. I keep my Black Cherry soap (which is very strong) in an old Williams Bi-Centennial pewter mugs. The mug is a bit narrow so I mostly use a long handled finest brush. This has more to do with the mug than the soap.

Top Bottom