What's new

What's your favorite piece of classical music?

Ellens dritter Gesang (Ellen's Third Song) by Franz Schubert, most commonly known as Ave Maria

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on my mood and how long since I've listened to a piece of music. I don't have just one favorite. Assuming I haven't heard any of these lately, my All-Star lineup would be Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor K. 310 with Artur Schnabel playing, Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 21 in C Major Op. 53 "Waldstein" with Artur Schnabel playing, Chopin Op. 64 No. 1 & No. 2 & No. 3 with Claudio Arrau playing, and Chopin Op. 10 No. 12 "Revolutionary Etude" with Maurizio Pollini playing.

I like and listen to a great many other classical piano pieces by various artists, but the above are my absolute favorites. In fact, I think the above list would make a nice recital program.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It depends on my mood and how long since I've listened to a piece of music. I don't have just one favorite. Assuming I haven't heard any of these lately, my All-Star lineup would be Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor K. 310 with Artur Schnabel playing, Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 21 in C Major Op. 53 "Waldstein" with Artur Schnabel playing, Chopin Op. 64 No. 1 & No. 2 & No. 3 with Claudio Arrau playing, and Chopin Op. 10 No. 12 "Revolutionary Etude" with Maurizio Pollini playing.

I like and listen to a great many other classical piano pieces by various artists, but the above are my absolute favorites. In fact, I think the above list would make a nice recital program.
Yeah, my inclusion of the word "favorite" was probably short sighted, that is like asking me which Led Zeppelin song is my favorite. Yes, Kashmir is the greatest song ever written, but I couldn't live without the rest of their work. This thread, though, has exposed me to a lot of stuff I haven't heard, or only heard snippets of in movies.

yeah, anything Mozart. I wonder if it's possible to dislike anything Mozart wrote...really, I've never heard a Mozart composition that wasn't top notch. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Jupiter symphony, Haffner symphony, any of the Piano concertos. Hard to pick just one. Beethovens symphonies #3, 5, 6, 7 or 9...whichever one I'm listening to at the time. Parts of Wagner; Tannhauser overture? Entrance of the Gods, forest murmers, Siegfried's Rhine Journey....Hard to pick just one, but I'll still say parts of Mozart's piano concerto no. 21 might be my favorite. But then, I'm forgetting Mendellsohn's Violin Concerto.

Comic relief:

You want Comic relief? I give you Victor Borge ...

I saw him perform this skit at The Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore.

I was sitting front row center.
At the beginning of the skit,
when he hands a few pages of sheet music to a person in the audience,
he gave them to the person sitting to my immediate right.

Legion

Staff member
I have so many, but this one is in the top 10. And as funny looking as Klaus Nomi was, I really like his version of it.

This is a song written specifically for an anime about a pianist. I love it (and I highly recommend the show to classical music fans).

J.S. Bach; Concerto for 3 Violins. Bought my first copy way back in the 80s on vinyl.

Top Bottom