What's new

How can I talk to a girl at the gym?

There is this girl at my gym who is really pretty and we always make eye contact throughout the night and I feel like I should say something. But then again I also feel like everyone makes eye contact at the gym and she might not even be interested at all. But honestly, I'm fairly certain she is atleast somewhat interested just by the amount of times I've seen her looking at me and the fact we always make eye contact when I walk by for atleast 2 seconds. But approacing girls is some what frowned upon in the gym culture. "No one wants to be hit on in the gym, they came to work not talk to you" I usually have my serious face on at the gym and it's hard for me to take it off. In general I feel like its hard to approach any pretty girl, especially in the gym. I know a lot of you guys are older and actually had to talk to women face to face in your life time and didn't chat through text messaging. I'm 20 years old and she is probably 18 or 19. I just fear she's gonna graduate high school, go to college at the end of the summer and I'll lose my chance for good. :bored: In reality i just have to man up and introduce myself but it's hard when she goes to the gym, gets on a machine or two, does her workout and immediately leaves. It's not like there is any down time and socializing going on. I already canceled my membership at the end of this month to switch to a bigger gym so I kind of have a time frame I have to work in and it's making me nervous.

Also, how did you meet your wife or partner? Do they have anything to say about my problem at the gym?

Oh the joys of being a young man in 2016....:blushing:

In reality i just have to man up and introduce myself...

Just do this on your way out. Tell her you're moving to another gym and would be kicking yourself if you didn't introduce yourself before you leave. Be yourself, get her info. If she likes you she'll give it and you get a hold of her like 5 days later for something informal like coffee or juice, etc.

You are way over thinking it. :blink: You want her to like you. Just be yourself. :thumbup: The best advice I have ever received about being likable was to stop trying to be interesting and start being interested. :001_cool:

Go crazy... I'm sure that most young people still understand the spoken word even if they don't often practice the art. Say hello and see what happens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do it in a way that doesn't interrupt her workout, or involve her being overly sweaty. Maybey when she goes to change at the end of her workout, go get changed too (you're faster than her, right?) and wait at the exit area for her. Then it's just eye contact, smile, "number?" ...

Work in a rotation on whatever weight that she's working on. Then ask her what's HER favorite exercise. Now your showing interest in her. Keep it off you. Compliment on her form, running etc. Keep it small talk. It'll come naturally to you.

proxy.php

Wait until she gets changed, get changed quickly, then without making it too obvious, stand outside the main entrance drinking from a bottle of water.
Open the door for everybody you see going in or out, when you open the door for her, and she says "Thanks", smile at her and start a conversation !!

Legion

Staff member
Gyms are tough. I only "met" one girl at a gym, and to be honest she was a foreign exchange student who was perhaps more conscious of the time restrictions than I was. She just walked up one day and introduced herself, and asked me how to work a machine she had seen me on. Before that, we had made eye contact, and so on, like you describe.

Reverse that. Wait until she has finished on a piece of equipment, and then ask her help on how to use it. Introduce yourself. See how that works.

My only suggestion would be to remove the shave cream from your eyebrows and face before you do anything. Good luck.

Top Bottom