What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

I'm glad I asked the question, Biotique Bio Palmyra is another one I've never heard of. Now I want to try some but I already have too many creams!

Considering the ingredient list, it's an incredible product and worth a try. Only downside for me is that the scent is reminiscent of unripe fruit.

I use both the red and green creams in my rotation.... paid 10 bucks for each.

I love the smell of both, a nice contrast.... the green has a good menthol kick to it.

The Sandalwood has great moisturizing effect post shave.

When I run out... I will purchase more... good stuff!

Not overrated in my opinion.

I agree with you 100%. I have 3 co bigelow tubes and 3 proraso red tubes. Don't care for the smell on either of them. They are good creams, but you can get other shaving creams less expensive that are just as good if not better. Proraso is overrated.. Very overrated I'd say. I don't find any proraso creams to be that slick. I won;t be buying any proraso tubes anytime soon. I got kiss my face cool mint shaving cream and even this performs slightly better than proraso imo.

+1 for Kiss My Face shaving cream. I found this hidden gem in the natural foods section of a Kroger grocery store. You get a 325ml plastic bottle with a pump dispenser for $7. It's truly a bargain, and glad to hear it's better than proraso.

For those of you who say that Proraso is overpriced, what shaving cream out there is better than Proraso and costs $10.00 or less? Is it a little better or a lot better?

Look up ^

I have a tube of green, I don't care for the smell, I'm not a menthol fan in general. But I enjoy the lather I get, especially if i'm rushed, it's easy to work with and lather, it feels good on the skin, but the scent isn't my thing. I think there are tons of other soaps, creams, croaps, crops, and creeps out there to try that I don't have a strong urge to keep it in stock in the old cabinet.

I'm in the overpriced by not overated camp. I spent a few years trying a lot of product (some cheaper, many more expensive) but have since narrowed my selection to Proraso green (cream, AS) as an everyday product and a few others for fun. It's probably overpriced in the US but that's OK as the US is not it's primary market. As for performance, I like the smell, I like how it works, I like how it lathers. Of course YMMV but that's why we have more than one product to choose from.

+1 for Kiss My Face shaving cream. I found this hidden gem in the natural foods section of a Kroger grocery store. You get a 325ml plastic bottle with a pump dispenser for $7. It's truly a bargain, and glad to hear it's better than proraso.

IME KMF isn't that great and requires a lot of product to really deliver a good lather but it does work well in super lathers. I would rate Proraso much better than KMF but YMMV.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
While I don't personally enjoy the scents, I don't find it overrated. It's an inexpensive cream that works fine. I think it's a reasonable return on your $.

For me, Proraso travels well at the least. It doesn't cushion or glide that well and dties my skin where better soaps do a better job. It is better than VDH, Williams, or Col. Conk.

I totally agree. When I first started, I bought several because of the different choices and great price. Then I started buying some more expensive products and found how lacking Proraso is. I use it as my travel kit now until the leftovers are gone. It seems great in a vacuum or compared to stuff I bogus at the grocery store, but doesn't compare favorably to what I've purchased since.

I haven't tried all their products but I like Proraso. Their shaving cream lathers easy, it's slick and gives good protection. The pre/post shave is great for a nice menthol kick and the balm is decent. None of it is that expensive.

I have tried Proraso only in the form of rebadged C.O. Bigelow. I would rate it as a good value; lots of product for a fair price, especially with the online deal of buy two and get one free. I've used it in rotation at home and away. At the rate I am going through the three tubes, it may be several years before it runs out. It may even outlive me. Like other creams, I precede it with pre-shave oil. That may or may not really be necessary, but I find it works. A soap like Arko, on the other hand, has plenty of its own slickness and needs no pre-shave.
The last time I got around to using the C.O. Bigelow, it was one of those shaves where everything came together and I got a smooth BBS, even in the trouble spots, in a reasonable time. I cannot complain about its performance.

I have used Proraso in the 500 size tube for several years now (not the same tube,something like 2-3 tubes);I am very satisfied with the product. I find the faults listed to be subjective,and would like someone to identify where this or that product exceeds Proraso exactly.
I would be interested in trying any or all of the products recommended.

I have tried Proraso only in the form of rebadged C.O. Bigelow. I would rate it as a good value; lots of product for a fair price, especially with the online deal of buy two and get one free. I've used it in rotation at home and away. At the rate I am going through the three tubes, it may be several years before it runs out. It may even outlive me. Like other creams, I precede it with pre-shave oil. That may or may not really be necessary, but I find it works. A soap like Arko, on the other hand, has plenty of its own slickness and needs no pre-shave.
The last time I got around to using the C.O. Bigelow, it was one of those shaves where everything came together and I got a smooth BBS, even in the trouble spots, in a reasonable time. I cannot complain about its performance.

Pre-shave oil or soap? A pre-shave oil will actually reduce slickness (at least from my experience) and the function of a pre-shave oil is to increase skin suppleness so that it is less likely to be nicked or burned rather than to be a slickness enhancer. A pre-shave soap will add slickness, as will using a brushless cream or pre-shave cream like Noxzema or Proraso, but if you need to add slickness then you might as well just get a better product IMO.

Last edited:
Pre-shave oil or soap? A pre-shave oil will actually reduce slickness (at least from my experience) and the function of a pre-shave oil is to increase skin suppleness so that it is less likely to be nicked or burned rather than to be a slickness enhancer. A pre-shave soap will add slickness, as will using a brushless cream or pre-shave cream like Noxzema or Proraso, but if you need to add slickness then you might as well just get a better product IMO.
According to AoS' claims, which one may choose to believe or to take with the grain of salt, pre-shave oil is supposed to provide a protective barrrier and improve razor glide. I use it as something slick that "stays behind" after the sweep of the blade, so I can do some additional buffing without re-lathering. Not with any cream do I perceive a "staying behind" effect without pre-shave oil, so if it were a matter of exclusively sticking with products that linger, I would use Arko and nothing else. As much as I like Arko, and as much as I do not mind the famous Arko smell, it is still a nice change to switch to something with a different fragrance every now and then.
As always, anyone's experience or perception may be different and YMMV.

According to AoS' claims, which one may choose to believe or to take with the grain of salt, pre-shave oil is supposed to provide a protective barrrier and improve razor glide. I use it as something slick that "stays behind" after the sweep of the blade, so I can do some additional buffing without re-lathering. Not with any cream do I perceive a "staying behind" effect without pre-shave oil, so if it were a matter of exclusively sticking with products that linger, I would use Arko and nothing else. As much as I like Arko, and as much as I do not mind the famous Arko smell, it is still a nice change to switch to something with a different fragrance every now and then.
As always, anyone's experience or perception may be different and YMMV.

Yes, AOS does have some funny ideas and AOS oil is particularly viscous. I've always noticed when using it that the razor is much slower and the oil isn't particularly slick, but I understand what you mean about the residual slickness. It's that slickness that contributes to a feeling of glide because it allows the cap to slide more easily across the skin. I have noticed with some lower end soaps and creams a lack of this residual slickness but all my favourite soaps and creams certainly have it.

No, not over rated at all. It's a good cream at a great price ( I got my last few tubes for $3 a piece from Italy). Luckily there are plenty of creams out there to try, so if Proraso being popular upsets you just move on to the next brand and enjoy!

I prefer the tub to the tube, but for me Proraso is a solid performer that always gives great results and it's only £5 a tub. I've tried a lot of soaps and creams, some a lot more expensive than Proraso, and it performs as well as any of them. The green smells great too.

Is it the be-all end-all shaving product? No. But it does its job well for not much money and that makes it a winner.

Top Bottom