What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

I only care for one of the Proraso scents. That being said I find it to be phenomenal with just the right amount of cooling and slickness. Does not clog like many other soap/creams and does not over power the olfactory senses.
Proraso sensitive green tea and oatmeal could just be my only soap/cream if I had to pick just one.

Yes it is over-rated.
I got a good lather and as expected it was very easy to lather. It provided a decent shave... but... The scent is soapy (I only tried the Green), and more importantly it acted as a desiccant. The post shave experience was downright uncomfortable. Compared to TOBS creams, AoS soaps, or MWF soap it just cannot compare well. I can overlook the scent, but not the post shave dryness. I only got through half the tube and threw the remainder out. Actually SWMBO trashed it after I tried pawning it off on her :blushing:. She had a similar experience and was not willing to forego her Trumper's violet or AoS Ocean Kelp. Again, her complaint was dry skin.

I know it has its fan club, and it does have utility, but Dove hand soap has a better post shave feel (and nearly the same shave experience) as Proraso. I can only attribute its popularity to availability and price point and its likely position as "my first cream" for many shavers.

I've used the green and red and find Proraso to be a decent soap at a great price. No complaint about its performance from me.

Yes it is over-rated.
I got a good lather and as expected it was very easy to lather. It provided a decent shave... but... The scent is soapy (I only tried the Green), and more importantly it acted as a desiccant. The post shave experience was downright uncomfortable. Compared to TOBS creams, AoS soaps, or MWF soap it just cannot compare well. I can overlook the scent, but not the post shave dryness. I only got through half the tube and threw the remainder out. Actually SWMBO trashed it after I tried pawning it off on her :blushing:. She had a similar experience and was not willing to forego her Trumper's violet or AoS Ocean Kelp. Again, her complaint was dry skin.

I know it has its fan club, and it does have utility, but Dove hand soap has a better post shave feel (and nearly the same shave experience) as Proraso. I can only attribute its popularity to availability and price point and its likely position as "my first cream" for many shavers.
You may want to try the Blue if you get the chance. It has been too long since I shaved with MWF so I don't want to say the Blue is equal in post shave feel, but it is getting close. Independent of which aftershave is used, it leaves my face feeling moisturized, nicer than it felt prior to shaving.

Yes it is over-rated.

Not everyone finds it drying so that might be part of the issue. I'm wondering if you didn't hydrate it enough since I haven't had drying issues with Proraso but I have with some other brands.

You may want to try the Blue if you get the chance. It has been too long since I shaved with MWF so I don't want to say the Blue is equal in post shave feel, but it is getting close. Independent of which aftershave is used, it leaves my face feeling moisturized, nicer than it felt prior to shaving.

I find red the best post shave feel due to the shea but blue is close.

Not everyone finds it drying so that might be part of the issue. I'm wondering if you didn't hydrate it enough since I haven't had drying issues with Proraso but I have with some other brands.
No... I got a great lather and a decent shave. More water and it started thinning. Consider that I have no issues with other creams or soaps.

That said, if you are accustomed to using shave balms and moisturizers, any discomfort is momentary.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may give it a try as I run down my current stock.

No... I got a great lather and a decent shave. More water and it started thinning. Consider that I have no issues with other creams or soaps.

That said, if you are accustomed to using shave balms and moisturizers, any discomfort is momentary.
Yeah I prefer to use an AS or ASB but I usually give it a few minutes to see how it feels. Post shave isn't a big criteria for me.

Well after reading many of your comments, I have decided to dust off my old green tube and have a few shaves with it. That is until my rather large shipment of Stirling soap samples gets here on Monday.:w00t:

Proraso over rated? No! Maybe a couple of dollars over priced when compared to other creams in tubes but it performs outstanding for me. It doesn't beat any of my TOBS or DR Harris creams, but it hold it's own in giving a great shave. I currently have the Green and Blue flavors and use then at least once a week and love them both. Just as a side note, I saw some Cremo Shaving soap in the local grocery store recently and grabbed a tube. Love the citric smell but hated the none lathering format of the soap. However, when I combined a small dollop of the Cremo with a larger dollop of the Proraso Blue and whipped that up in the old lather bowl, what a great bowl of lather! It smelled great and provided excellent glide and protection!!!

Anyone else feel the same? I usually say that Proraso is good, not great.

I would agree. I had never heard of Proraso until becoming a member here (not available locally) and bought the white and the green to try at 10$ a tube.

I like both of them well enough to not toss them in the trash; but, when used as intended, as a shaving cream and not in combination with other products, do not live up to the board's hype.

For me:

Proraso is not as slick as other options. Still, it works well enough and is better than canned foam.

It's a little pricey. (However, if I liked them more, price would not be a purchase factor.)

The odors of both, which many describe, and which concerned me, are not unpleasant but linger longer than I'd like.

Nothing special.

On a 0-5 scale, a 3.

Last edited:
Ok i just popped open a tube of green and it was a nice shave.

Bear in mind i am not a fan of menthol but this cream performs very well. Are there better one ?

Yeah loads (all british creams) but they do cost more. Also remember that in italy they sell for like 2 € a tube. So at 4-5£ a tube i would buy but i will more likely reach out to TOBS / TH / Trumpers / CF than proraso. For someone who is not willing to spend as much it s a very good choice.

Sent from Mars

Interesting reading through this thread.

Admittedly, there are a lot of products I haven't tried but for a quick and easy lather product, I find Proraso to be quite good.

As a daily shaver, it takes no time to get a slick and protective lather whipped up for the morning shave. Smell is ok too. It's up there with TOBS and Cella for me on quick ease of use.

I'm suddenly beginning to feel the same way. Started wet shaving 6 Mo ago with AOS starter kit. My next purchase was proraso green tube of cream and green after balm. It gives a nice shave, and I love the balm. But lathering has always seemed meh. Tried using a ceramic bowl and a coffee mug, but had most success with my hand and face lathering. Still, not the lather I'd prefer. Thinking not using enough cream or not enough or too much H2O. Kinda runny. A good shave nonetheless.

Just purchased TOB sandalwood, and...WOW! That's the lather I'm talking about. Just a small dab on the brush and an amazing white lather. And a fantastic smooth shave. Proraso cannot compare, although I do like the balm. Not sure how much better a cream can be beyond this TOB, but perhaps I will be surprised.

Also, price differnce of $2 is moot between these two

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm suddenly beginning to feel the same way. Started wet shaving 6 Mo ago with AOS starter kit. My next purchase was proraso green tube of cream and green after balm. It gives a nice shave, and I love the balm. But lathering has always seemed meh. Tried using a ceramic bowl and a coffee mug, but had most success with my hand and face lathering. Still, not the lather I'd prefer. Thinking not using enough cream or not enough or too much H2O. Kinda runny. A good shave nonetheless.

Just purchased TOB sandalwood, and...WOW! That's the lather I'm talking about. Just a small dab on the brush and an amazing white lather. And a fantastic smooth shave. Proraso cannot compare, although I do like the balm. Not sure how much better a cream can be beyond this TOB, but perhaps I will be surprised.

Also, price differnce of $2 is moot between these two
Hi, and Welcome!

I agree, TOBS sandalwood is good stuff! I over loaded for a long time with it before finally realizing it only takes a bit to really get things going.

Top Bottom