What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

Can someone recommend me alternatives to the preshave?

I just add a couple drops of glycerin and it adds nice slickness
For yesterday's shave, I substituted using Cremo in my prep (Kyle's prep) instead of using the VDH soap for the prep. It definitely made my face a bit slicker during the shave.

Keep in mind that, here in Italy, Proraso's soaps and creams never cost more than 2€, and for that money I think it's a pretty good deal. If where you live they sell it for an average of 6/7$ it's probably because of the importation costs.

Which Noxzema product do people use as Pre-Shave?

Is it the cleansing cream?
$Nozxeme.jpg

I used Proraso Blue this morning and was treated to a DFS on my neck and a BBS everywhere else. Given my neck sensitivity that is about as good as I can expect. I originally wasn't impressed with Proraso but it has grown on me. I have both the Blue and the Green (C.O. Bigelow version) and am thinking about getting the Red. Not overrated in my book.

I don't find it overrated. I use the creams just about every day. Usually a week with one color, one after shave splash and one blade. For example, last week I used Proraso Green paired with Barbasol Brisk AS. This week I'm using Proraso Red with Pinaud VIBR. Next week I'll probably go with Proraso Blue and Aqua Velva Blue Ice. And with the white, I'll splash on classic Clubman.

I get consistant, slick lather that does not cause irritation. I get a BBS shave most days unless I attack my jawline wrong and miss some stubble. I'm retired, shave every morning and take my time.

I used Proraso Blue this morning and was treated to a DFS on my neck and a BBS everywhere else. Given my neck sensitivity that is about as good as I can expect. I originally wasn't impressed with Proraso but it has grown on me. I have both the Blue and the Green (C.O. Bigelow version) and am thinking about getting the Red. Not overrated in my book.

I think you'd like the red. I like it the best of the group although I have not yet tried white.

I felt that it was overrated until revisiting it after of year of wet shaving. Now that I have learned to use it properly I feel its reputation is well deserved.

I presently have both red and green tub croaps and a tube of green. I greatly prefer the tube over the tub. I liked them well-enough when I started wet shaving but not so much now. I consider Proraso "good enough" but there is nothing remarkable that makes me reach for them. I have decided I won't be buying more when these are gone. There are simply more products I like better.

Ive got red and green soaps. I like them due to lather, low cost, the fact theyre nontallow (more i use Tabac more the tallow grosses me out, i think i feel the consistency of it and dont like it as i know what it is). I like to rotate scents, so if i added proraso white and blue i may like those too. Im leaning towards not using tallow products. Proraso works ok.

Last edited:
Ive got red and green soaps. I like them due to lather, low cost, the fact theyre nontallow (more i use Tabac more the tallow grosses me out, i think i feel the consistency of it and dont like it as i know what it is). I like to rotate scents, so if i added proraso white and blue i may like those too. Im leaning towards not using tallow products. Proraso works ok.

Yeah, I've moved away from tallow as well. Blasphemy on a shave forum I know. Also unlike many other shave creams, Proraso creams dont have TEA (chemical) which irritates my skin.

I love Proraso. I think people expect way too much from it. It's not going to outperform your favorite artisan soap, but if you expect it to, you're being unreasonable.

[MENTION=102573]EternalBachelor[/MENTION]
You're totally right. Here in Italy, Proraso's soaps and creams can be found in almost every supermarket or even smaller shops at a price that stands between 1 and 3 euros (but I've never seen them at more than 1,50€). If you think about it, they are absolutely great products that everyone can afford.

After nearly six months of using artisan soaps, I finally decided to try some factory creams and soaps starting with Proraso. My experience was quite the opposite in that I feel like it's one of the most underrated products out there. The creams were excellent, extremely easy to lather and their performance was as good as or better than my best artisan soaps. I agree that the red line is pretty weak as far as sandalwood scents go, but I loved it nonetheless. So far I have tried everything but the blue cream, and the white cream was a game changer for me. Every artisan soap that I've used so far has caused a mild to severe amount of irritation that gets worse after hours shaving, but none of the Proraso creams or soaps have bothered me so far. The white kicks it up a notch and seems to somehow counteract razor burn. I made some bad decisions when using the white soap and I should have had at least some mild irritation, but I didn't feel anything at all after shaving.

I am completely amazed by the performance of Proraso so far. I still have to try the blue cream but the other three were absolutely fantastic. My only complaint is that I wish the white line had a stronger scent. It fades away very quickly after shaving. I'm also not crazy about the menthol in the green and white line. I don't mind it in the aftershave but I don't really like it in my lather. I'm not giving up on artisan soaps and there are a few that I will always buy, but right now, I feel like I will be turning to Proraso for the vast majority of my shaves. Six months of irritation from artisan fragrances and now I can finally shave without being in pain for hours afterwards.

To anyone who doesn't enjoy the soaps, I highly recommend trying the creams instead. The differences aren't too great but I feel like the creams definitely outperform the soaps. They're much easier to lather and I thought that the slickness was also better.

Top Bottom