What's new

Bow-Tie recommendations.

I've been in a suit and tie role now for almost 2.5 years. I have a varied collection of 7 suits, about 40 shirts, about 50 ties, more socks than I can count, 6 different shoe and boot combinations and at least 15 belts but not 1 bow-tie.

What does the Haberdashery recommend????

Get several. I have been wearing bow ties since 1989. Around church, if i wear a long time, I get strange looks and ribbed about where my bow tie is.

I wear them from time to time and have accumulated many over the years.

Good places find bow ties here are Nordstroms and Brooks Brothers. I prefer to try them in the store with a shirt and jacket to see how they look. Also tying a bow tie facilely in the store assures great service and, often, requests for lessons! Have fun! :thumbup1:

Let me get a few wears out of the budget ties before I drop $50 per tie. I do prefer the quality pieces but want to make sure that I can pull them off first. Thanks fer the insight fella's....

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Another recommendation for thetiebar. They aren't as good of a deal as when all the ties were $15 but they have more designs than anywhere else.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Let me get a few wears out of the budget ties before I drop $50 per tie. I do prefer the quality pieces but want to make sure that I can pull them off first. Thanks fer the insight fella's....
As with hats, whether or not you can pull it of is confidence, IMO.

I remember having to wear a tux to a wedding and being determined to wear a proper bowtie, not a pre-tied one on an elastic strap.
Even with a diagram, I was fussing and fuming to no avail.
So I called a colleague who wore bowties to the office and asked for the easiest way.
He responded, "Can't help you. My wife ties mine for me every day!"

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
After watching every video on Youtube supposedly showing you how to tie a bowtie, and almost getting a divorce while practicing, this is the only one that actually made it click. Especially the part from 1:05-1:20

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets a lot more clear once you get to the realization that the bow tie bow is the same as you use to tie your shoes. It's just the tie is a more awkward shape than shoelaces because the "loops" have to be made in a specific place for the correct bow tie shape. Cross, make a loop, around the loop and make another loop, push it through the hole and tighten. You've been doing it since you were a little kid. Two key things for me were folding the tie forward to open the hole behind and remembering that the folded edges go in the opposite directions so I put it through the correct side of the hole. Also, make sure it is fairly tight around your neck when you start because you can't adjust it like a regular neck tie. And be prepared to slug the person who pulls unties it as they say "that's a clip-on" :angry:

Last edited:
I used a video a couple of years ago, after a few tries was doing well at tying a bow tie.

Now I find it so much quicker and easier than a long tie.

strop

Now half as wise
Another satisfied Beautiesltd buyer here. They will also convert any long ties to bows if you have some you don't wear often anymore.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Once you 'get it' that tying a bow tie is the same as tying your shoe ... you really get it. Piece of cake.

Once you know that you like wearing bow ties, you eventually figure out that Le Noued Papillon in Australia makes the best bow ties in the world, and they occasionally have dutch auctions going up to 70% off ...

Top Bottom