What's new

Best way to Reheat Steak

Sorry, if this is part of another thread, but I couldn't find much.

So question is, what is the best way you guys have found to reheat a medium rare steak and keep it from drying out?

Anyone have some good tips?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I shall say that a person should use a microwave oven.

I am not an expert , and others may answer your question.

For the most part not a fan of leftovers as a 'repeat' but would be happy to use it as the basis of an altogether different meal.

dave

I shall say that a person should use a microwave oven.

I am not an expert , and others may answer your question.

I would stay away from the microwave as that would cook it well done, cooks all the way through when it reheats in microwave.

I try not to have left over steak, but if I do I usually slice it up and heat it and cook a little more in a skillet add some seasoning and make tacos. I've also thrown it in a skillet with some potatoes and eggs for breakfast, It also gets cooked a little more this way.

My mom would save all leftover steak (and pork and chicken) in the freezer until she made spaghetti sauce. Then she would add them to the sauce as it simmered all day. The pieces would fall apart.

As to your original question, I wouldn't heat it up at all. I'd either eat it cold or let it sit out for 15 minutes to take the chill off.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
A few seconds in the microwave can take the chill off leftover steak or roast beef without destroying it. Just be careful not to over do it.

leftover rib roast
$Rib Roast leftovers.jpg

I'd cut it into small cubes, heat it in a good enchilada sauce and put it a burrito or taco. I've never liked the taste or texture of reheated beef steaks or pork chops.

A few pieces of butter on top of it and throw it in the oven. Don't let it stay in there long, just enough to knock the chill off it.

Or, slice it up and make some killer tacos/eggs/samich

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Freezing, thawing and reheating meats are regular things for all of us. A gentle reheat in a skillet, oven or microwave is perfectly fine. I know because I can't eat a whole brisket in one sitting.

When I smoke ribs, I make extras to freeze in foodsaver bags. I then reheat them in their foodsaver bags by bringing a pot of water to a boil, turning it off, and putting the frozen ribs still in their bags in the water for like 10 minutes. They come out just as good as the day I smoked them. I think you could do similar with leftover steak. Put it in a ziplock and remove all the air, bring some water up to heat (maybe no boiling if it's a piece of steak from the fridge), turn off the heat and submerge the steak and bag for a bit.

Also, you could get a sous vide cooker thing and set it to 130 or 135 and warm it up in a foodsaver bag that way.

Last edited:
Microwave with a cup of water in next to it. It will cook some , but stays very well hydrated. This is great for almost anything.

Leftover steak is not a common occurence here, but if and when it happens I like to either make a sandwich or a Thai Beef Salad with the leftovers.

I place leftover steak on a large plate and then place a very wet paper towel on top of the steak (making sure that the paper towel fully covers the steak). I then use the microwave at 30-second bursts - The intent is to add just enough heat to turn the water into hot steam which is then encapsulated with the paper towel. Properly done, steak will be very tender BUT this does advance the "doneness" leve (Example: rare --> medium-rare)

Top Bottom