What's new

Tomahawk Steak (or is it Stake??)!! ;-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Fellow Carnivores:
Butcher -1.jpgI've always wanted to share one of these w/family or friends (and I know somewhere close were I can sang hefty one)!

I'd usually would heavily seasoned a steak of this size with just salt and pepper before it gets cooked on a low & 'open-lid' BBQ fire, just enough to brown (sear) the skin beautifully while keeping the meat inside deliciously pink (whilst cooking...I every now & then...might just 'throw' a little more salt on the steak). :drool:
This little 'tid-bit' is all about the "Gourmet: Good Life Guide" in the recent Sept/Oct edition of1695268082897.png...(CA),

1695268739652.jpeg

Tomahawk Steak!

proxy.php
"Beef goes by a lot of fancy names. Coulotte is sirloin from a cow’s thigh. Filet mignon is a small piece of tenderloin. Chateaubriand is its larger neighbor, butchered for two people. But "
tomahawk" is the most straightforward moniker in the steak world. You’ll know it when you see it.

The chop comes not only bone-in, but bone protruding. An almost foot-long rib that connects to the two-inch thick slab of marbled meat makes it look like the battle-ax it is named for. Its massive size is also responsible for another label—

cowboy steak :cowboy:”—although Fred Flintstone could easily have lent his name to this plateful". Flintstone.jpg

Although this article stated..."The meat is tender but has a 'bit of fight to it'...not the easy chew like a filet mignon [though]. :302:

What sets it apart is the thickness; one tomahawk [can] easily feed two, perhaps three".:a47:

Works Cited: Cigaraficionado- Tomahawk Steak

1695269717470.png

"A [shave] and a [tomahawk] steak. Those are some of the high points of a [persons'] life". Curtis Siodmak

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chris:
I just called the Shop & I can get one here in town (1.65lbs = $33USD...omw to pick-up the steak)! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Always do [your steak] right; this way it will gratify some people [and—well], astonish the rest". Mark Twain

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
But...the bad thing was my Mrs. and her sister eat most of the Roasted Asparagus & Scallions before I got a chance to slice and 're-construct' the Steak w/the bone intact (someone ran off w/ it).:chef:

1695268739652-jpeg.1720869
"I think steak is the ultimate comfort food..." Chef Tom Colicchio

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is one I just don't get. It's a ribeye on the bone. Nothing more. Granted it's a BIG ribeye, but a "tomahawk" will usually set you back 2x what a ribeye the same weight would. My .02.
I agree completely, Chef. A bone-in ribeye is truly a wonderful thing, and I would take it over a tomahawk even if they cost the same. (A bone-in ribeye allows you to upgrade the wine a lot!) An inch to an inch and a half in thickness is ideal for me. It is easy to nail a perfect rare or medium rare. While I like chargrilled steaks, I far prefer a hot carbon steel pan and some butter. I like to be able to fit my food both into the pan and onto the plate. All that said, if I am truly splurging on steak, it is more likely to be a hanger, a bottom skirt, or a sirloin, in that order of preference. Last night three of us shared a pan cooked Wagyu sirloin, and there is enough left for rare steak sandwiches today!

Top Bottom