What's new

Nivea Extra Soothing Balm/Sensitive skin

This AS is great as price/quality go.....but I really can't stand the scent. Bear in mind that I'm not much for strong scented cremes/lotions....but this one was a bit much....and lasted a long time. Too bad, because the AS is otherwise very good.

This is the best value ASB I have tried to date. The only one I like better is the C&E Nomad, which costs 5 times as much.

It soothes razor burn and moisturizes the skin very well.
I would prefer a nicer, slightly stronger scent, but that's a matter of taste.

I just picked up a bottle of this and I have to say that it is excellent! It is dirt cheap, available everywhere, goes on light with a very faint, but pleasant scent that doesn't overpower any potential scents you might use later.

I have been a big fan of L'Occitane CADE, but that runs close to $30/tube. A bottle of Nivea runs ~$6.00 at any grocery store. I'll still use the CADE, but for special occasions only...this is my new everyday go to balm.

Price: I believe I paid $6 for this product. Pretty cheap compared to some of the others.
Scent: No scent at all.
Latherability: NA
Efficacy: You have to be careful with this part of the product. You can't use too much because you will end up wiping most off.
Moisturizing: Worked very well and really helped with after care.
Packaging: Nice white bottle.

ma first ASB, great, never had any problems with it, but i use different products now... only thing is, i use it up pretty quickly...

I dislike this product and am tossing the barely-used bottle away. It is inexpensive, but I'm afraid that it's another case of getting what you pay for. I object to the unpleasant "cheap perfume counter" smell. It claims to contain no alcohol, but it does have something that evaporates off the skin in a nasty stinging way. There are some fine unscented products out there - this is not one of them.

Has the packaging of this changed or did I get the wrong thing?

The website does not seem to list "Extra Soothing Balm Sensitive Skin"

What is listed on the Nivea website and what was available in the store is Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.

proxy.php

There was a change in formulation somewhere along the way. I still have a couple of bottles of the old stuff, that is alcohol free, and smells slightly of chamomile. I still reach for it on those rare occasions when I've had a rough shave.

I didn't notice much of a difference between the old and the new. The smell is definitely similar or the same and the new one is also alcohol free. I used the old one for a couple years, even before I started wetshaving. Can someone post photos of the ingredients list on the old box? I'd be curious to compare them....

I remember awhile back someone said the new packaging left the old Nivea balms unchanged except for scent was changed on the Replenishing balm or something? In any case, I've only ever used the Sensitive balm.

EDIT:

here is the thread from awhile back:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=75173&highlight=nivea+packaging

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of the ingredients lists I found online:

Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm (Old Formula)

Water, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Panthenol, Distarch Phosphate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Triceteareth 4 Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Bisabolol, Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract (Matricaria), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Allantoin, Citric Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=195A0VZCKH6HWJ122FJ7

Sensitive Post Shave Balm (Current Formula)

Water, , Glycerin, , Dicaprylyl Carbonate, , Panthenol, , Isopropyl Palmitate, , Tapioca Starch, , Tocopheryl Acetate, , Bisabolol, , Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, , Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, , Triceteareth-4 Phosphate, , Carbomer, , Sodium Hydroxide, , Citric Acid, , Phenoxyethanol, , Methylparaben, , Fragrance

http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...=prod357341&navCount=1&navAction=push-product

So yes, the ingredients are different. Seems to work about the same to me, but I don't have a new and old bottle to compare side by side on back to back shaves. The newer formula seems to have a more simplified ingredients list, and they took out the Calendula Extract and Allantoin. I wonder why they took those out? Allantoin is used in a lot of inexpensive products so I doubt cost was the concern there but who knows? Also, the Cyclopentasiloxane (a silicone) has been taken out of the newer version.

Last edited:
Good evening.
I have been using this product for several years no. My Pharmacist recommended it. I get a rash on my face and my arms. It works good and it's a lot less expensive than the perscription balm that my endocrinologist wanted me to use.

Top Bottom