What's new

The humble Zippo

For the other pipe smokers, Nimrod commander

$uploadfromtaptalk1464039156924.jpg

Was given a zippo as a gift and ended up converting it to gas with a Thunderbird insert: http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Thunderbird-Yellow-Flame-Insert/dp/B008Z8W6BA

No way I'd do this with a classic/old/sentimental one.... but great for taking into bush. Best of both worlds - zippo flint, stands up by itself, no smell, and no need to worry about your gas evaporating off every second. Kept the zippo insert in a drawer of ever want to swap back.

I ordered one of these last night. It will be here on Friday.

Last night, I actually just ordered my first Zippo. I'm not a smoker, but I love the history and the versatility of the lighter. I got a '41 replica brushed brass one. I love the patina that brass develops! I might try to pick up one finished in black crackle in the future due to durability.

For what it's worth. The Thunderbird butane insert is the bees knees. It's nice not having to fill up my Zippo so often for so few uses. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Last night, I actually just ordered my first Zippo. I'm not a smoker, but I love the history and the versatility of the lighter. I got a '41 replica brushed brass one. I love the patina that brass develops! I might try to pick up one finished in black crackle in the future due to durability.
I was I the same boat, I love my brass zippo and honestly it's proven to be useful. Mostly just sealing ends of parra chord but still

Guys, I am a new cigar smoker and prefer Ronson Jet lighters. But, I would be interested in trying a couple of retro metal zippos...whistling (@sfeile).

I very much enjoy this Zippo thread.

If anybody is interested in a now rarer than hen's teeth lighter that works with methanol and a catalytic igniter instead of flint or piezo-electric ignition, I can show you pictures and make a video that shows how this most unusual lighter works, seemingly like magic. If there's interest, I'll get the required methanol, which is no all that easily available any longer.

So nobody asked to see my weirdo lighter, but I had nothing much better to do, so I picked up the only legally obtainable Methanol I could find (Heet fuel additive from O-Reilley).

The lighter is a catalytic type made by New Method in the US in the 1950s. Catalytic lighters never caught on. The pretty much invisible in daylight flame is one safety problem that probably caused unwarranted spontaneous combustion and personal injury galore. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

This is how the lighter looks when it's closed:

proxy.php

The case consists of an upper and lower half. The upper half contains the igniter mechanism, which is a poppy seed-size ball of spongelike platinum suspended on very fine platinum wires within a frame.

proxy.php

The lower half of the lighter contains a cylindrical wick lining that lines the open fuel tank.

When the igniter part is dipped into the central hollow surrounded by the wick, the platinum catalyst reacts with the methanol fumes and the platinum wires heat to the point of glowing hot-red. thus igniting the methanol. A barely visible flame dances on top of the wick.

proxy.php

The lighter is put out by blowing out the flame or by simply putting the top half back on the bottom half.

I wonder why those lighters never caught one? Apparently, the first catalytic lighter was created in the very early 19th century.

Please see the video below for a live demonstration.

Thank you for your undivided attention! :pipe:

I failed to insert the video. Please click the link below to watch the video on photobucket:

[video]http://vid1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/sfcorrado/P6131973_zpsqaif3ong.mp4[/video]

Last edited:
Just to make sure, when I said I'm not sure why those lighters didn't catch on I was of course joking. The toxic methanol, the invisible flame, and the fragile igniter were serious drawbacks. Also, if the catalyst gets contaminated with combustion byproducts, it will not work. It is therefore necessary to heat the igniter for a second or two after each use over the flame too burn off any contamination. This ensures the lighter will work next time. This lighter, while not very practical, does work and makes a great conversation piece, especially for technically-minded people.

This lighter was given to me by my brother who has a few of them. He's got a bigger lighter collection than I do. He's the arsonist in the family. :tongue_sm

Last edited:
To continue with odd lighters I give you the Nimrod (non-commander version). Closed you place your finger on the flint wheel. As you pull it open it sparks. Doesn't hold much fuel however.

$uploadfromtaptalk1466130273390.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1466130283816.jpg

Just to make sure, when I said I'm not sure why those lighters didn't catch on I was of course joking. The toxic methanol, the invisible flame, and the fragile igniter were serious drawbacks. Also, if the catalyst gets contaminated with combustion byproducts, it will not work. It is therefore necessary to heat the igniter for a second or two after each use over the flame too burn off any contamination. This ensures the lighter will work next time. This lighter, while not very practical, does work and makes a great conversation piece, especially for technically-minded people.

This lighter was given to me by my brother who has a few of them. He's got a bigger lighter collection than I do. He's the arsonist in the family. :tongue_sm
im fascinated by the catalictic burners, I almost bought a zippo hand warmer just so I could play with one.

They were a must when I rode public transit in Cleveland during the winter.

I bet! Due to my elevation here in Canberra I don't often get snow but it regularly stays below zero for much of the day in winter but I feel like I'm abit jaded as my work has me siting in an unheated warehouse..

I say yes! I know this thread was for zippos but I'm sure many of us have odd interesting liquid fuel lighters kicking around.

Well, after this outcry and clearly overwhelming demand I relent and post pictures of my Imco Foxhole lighter (Made in USA not Austria). This is a rope lighter, which works with a nowadays hard-to-find slow match (fuze). These lighters were popular as trench lighters, since they do not produce a flame, but only a relatively inconspicuous ember, with which a soldier would light his cigarette. Sooty and smelly finger tips are unavoidable. They still sell rope lighters in Spain today, I believe. If anybody knows a good source for current production slow match, please let me know.

The lighter consist of a hollow tube, through which slow match is routed. Near the upper end of the slow match is a metal snuff cap or bead attached with sort of a fishhook to the slow match. Parallel to the slow match tube there is another tube, which contains a spring loaded flint and which is topped by the striker wheel.

Operation:

1. Hold lighter in one hand.
2. Pull snuff cap upwards with other hand and expose maybe half an inch of slow match. Bend the terminus of the slow match towards the striker wheel.
3. With the thumb of the hand holding the lighter, strike the wheel. Let the sparks fall on the terminus of the slow match. After a couple attempts, the slow match will catch fire (ember).
4. Blow on the ember to increase heat output. Light up whatever you plan on setting on fire.
5. Extinguish the slow match by pulling on the slow match below the lighter until the terminus of the slow match is fully retracted into the metal tube and the snuff cap/bead seals the tube. The ember will go out.

proxy.php

IMCO's Foxhole in closed position.

proxy.php

Snuff cap raised and slow match exposed. Ready to be fired up.

proxy.php

Aim the slow match end at the striker wheel and strike the wheel with your thumb.

proxy.php

The slow match is now burning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom