What's new

How to parellel park

In Britain to pass your driving test you have to parallel park within a certain distance from the curb (no more! no less!), complete a 3 point turn without using the curb bump as your geospatial position marker, and reverse around a corner. All with live traffic and a driving examiner who looks like he has Napoleonic delusions of grandeur.

In Philadelphia, if you can parallel park inside an off-road space that you could park a space shuttle in, you pass.

Someday, over a glass of scotch, I will share my Philly driving stories.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wish I had a Mini.. and could do that...

About 40 years ago a friend of mine was in the Auto-cross club in Tucson. He was pretty good with his 914 but he said the guys with the original Minis could do that handbrake trick and beat them all every time.
I have a Mini, but the wife would kill me if I tried.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
One thing that always fascinates me is watching someone backing up a B-Train or Road-Train. Even when the trailer train appears to be heading straight backward the driver is making the tractor wag like a dogs tail back and fourth to keep the two trailers in a straight line.

One thing that always fascinates me is watching someone backing up a B-Train or Road-Train. Even when the trailer train appears to be heading straight backward the driver is making the tractor wag like a dogs tail back and fourth to keep the two trailers in a straight line.

I've never tried 2 trailers, but I have backed up a 48 foot sawdust trailer, a few flat equipment trailers up to 28 foot, and very small trailers set up for just a welding machine and leads.

I would much rather back up the bigger trailers.
The short wheelbase on a 6 foot long trailer is absolutely horrid to keep straight. You over-steer just a little and it is right beside you.

I've never tried 2 trailers, but I have backed up a 48 foot sawdust trailer, a few flat equipment trailers up to 28 foot, and very small trailers set up for just a welding machine and leads.

I would much rather back up the bigger trailers.
The short wheelbase on a 6 foot long trailer is absolutely horrid to keep straight. You over-steer just a little and it is right beside you.

When I back up a pup trailer it looks like my first day on the job.

Didn't have to do it on my driving test but had to in Drivers Ed.

Had words with the instructor because I said I was too close to the car in front and he kept telling me to ease up, and I tapped their bumper. Just barely a tap, but for 1/2 a second I thought he'd fail me for something he told me to do

$bike drift.gif

Yep, I bet that's my granddaughter in a few years. She is way too smart, and a bit of a daredevil.

That can be good and bad. :lol:

When I was little I used to get my bigwheel going just as fast as I could down the hill and hit the bent over piece of fence trying to get it to do a backflip. Never made it the whole way, but I don't thing it did any premanent damamage......

Started rock climbing at 14, grew up to be a journeyman Ironworker among other laid back and safe jobs, like working on moving sawmill machinery, playing with dynamite....
So not bad for ME, but probably not the greatest for my parents. :lol:

Man I'm glad I never had kids, I'd be broke from them breaking, 'cause I'm sure I wouldn't be a good influence. Didn't make that backflip? well you weren't going fast enough.... Here, lemme give you a push....:idea:

Fun fact:

My brother in law played Paolo, the "bad guy" boyfriend of Heather Graham in that movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom