What's new

2016 "Gold Dollar" MOD Competition is ON!

Hey all, I think I'll have to bow out of this competition. I can't get a decent edge on my zy to save my life... I think I may have ruined the temper while modding it (or it was crap from the get go). Good luck to everyone else!

Hey all, I think I'll have to bow out of this competition. I can't get a decent edge on my zy to save my life... I think I may have ruined the temper while modding it (or it was crap from the get go). Good luck to everyone else!

You cut it to a shorty right? Did we get to see the final photo or just the work in progress.
I want to see the finished scales.

You cut it to a shorty right? Did we get to see the final photo or just the work in progress.
I want to see the finished scales.
I did post the "final" photos a few pages back, but the blade is going to need more work if it's ever going to hone up properly. I think the tang on zy's is way too thick, so even if they don't have a stabilizer, the geometry gets all out of wack. On mine, the heel doesn't make full contact on one side, and the toe doesn't on the other.

Plus, a few sessions on a coticule with slurry have failed to get it to shave arm hair, and the edge looks really jagged under a loupe. I'll keep trying, but I'm not optimistic.

I did post the "final" photos a few pages back, but the blade is going to need more work if it's ever going to hone up properly. I think the tang on zy's is way too thick, so even if they don't have a stabilizer, the geometry gets all out of wack. On mine, the heel doesn't make full contact on one side, and the toe doesn't on the other.

Plus, a few sessions on a coticule with slurry have failed to get it to shave arm hair, and the edge looks really jagged under a loupe. I'll keep trying, but I'm not optimistic.

Ah yes, I remember now. I still like it. Somehow I thought you were doing a burl scale but I forgot you had done the curly maple. You might have had s warped blade to begin with.

Ah yes, I remember now. I still like it. Somehow I thought you were doing a burl scale but I forgot you had done the curly maple. You might have had s warped blade to begin with.
Yeah, the last piece of burl I had didn't work out... And I think you're right: the blade must be warped. I think I'll cut my losses at this point and stick to my other razors for a while :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Shaved with Light Matter this morning, and I am quite happy with it. Thinning the spine really turns these things into crazy good shavers. Tomorrow I will shave with Dark Matter.

Shaved with Light Matter this morning, and I am quite happy with it. Thinning the spine really turns these things into crazy good shavers. Tomorrow I will shave with Dark Matter.

Hey Slasher how much are you taking off the spine? Most of the GD's I've mic'ed run at or around .24 =)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Depends on how wide the blade will end up, and just how I'm feeling about it. Generally between. .205 and .215 but if I'm doing one to give or sell to a newbie I will leave it a little fatter sometimes. Usually I shoot for about 17 degrees, but sometimes 16 or so. Stock is a bit over 19 degrees with some variation... too sedate for my taste.

Brought bench grinder for other things, but it's so cool i had to do this mod :D. Maybe 3 hours spend, from witch only ~30 mins on blade itself :). Cooling it with icy water, never get to hot for touch, so tamper is not lost, and even my bevel left intact. I gave away my ixus so mobile phone pictures :(.

proxy.php

Used some cheap plastic tray for scales, rly :S material think it's nylon. For wedge i used peace of broken fake tortoise shell made from celluloid (was fan grinding it xD, it's making explosions...).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What's this... a member for overr two years, and only one post? Fingers broke? Get to typing, and join in on the blather!

Brought bench grinder for other things, but it's so cool i had to do this mod :D. Maybe 3 hours spend, from witch only ~30 mins on blade itself :). Cooling it with icy water, never get to hot for touch, so tamper is not lost, and even my bevel left intact. I gave away my ixus so mobile phone pictures :(.

proxy.php

Used some cheap plastic tray for scales, rly :S material think it's nylon. For wedge i used peace of broken fake tortoise shell made from celluloid (was fan grinding it xD, it's making explosions...).

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Awesome man! We've got some awesome lurkers here!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You, too, can be a GD Modder. All it takes is sandpaper, time, and resolve. Everything else is just optional. A belt sander and a dremel will save you a bunch of time, though. Diamond paste will help you get a mirror finish. But the most important tools are your fingers, eyes, and your brain.

You, too, can be a GD Modder. All it takes is sandpaper, time, and resolve. Everything else is just optional. A belt sander and a dremel will save you a bunch of time, though. Diamond paste will help you get a mirror finish. But the most important tools are your fingers, eyes, and your brain.

You really do make it sound easy and looking at your work gives inspiration to want to try. The issue is time and money, of which I have little to none of. Maybe in the near future I will give it a try but for now admiring others' work is fine by me.

Top Bottom