What's new

A brush like the Parker Pure Badger, but better?

Guys, I am in love with my Parker Pure Badger brush. The size and ergonomics of the handle, the backbone, the flow through, the size of the knot, the splay, just perfect. It was my first brush and it still wows me to this day.

But.

The hair scritchy and a little floppy.

I wanted to add a high end brush in my den with the characteristics of this Parker but with a better knot. Do you guys have any suggestions?

This is the info I got from West coast about the brush:

• Total Height: 104mm
  • Handle Height: 48mm
  • Loft: 56mm
  • Knot Diameter: 23mm
  • Hair: Pure Badger

Why on earth the Dark Lord really wants a scritchy brush when you can really enjoy a peaceful soft brush with a great backbone, don't you realize your son Luke has been trying to tell you to let go of the dark side scritchy brushes for years :lol:

Why on earth the Dark Lord really wants a scritchy brush when you can really enjoy a peaceful soft brush with a great backbone, don't you realize your son Luke has been trying to tell you to let go of the dark side scritchy brushes for years :lol:

Lol! I already got our BB RV brush, that's any side color lord worthy right there!

This is more like a unicorn brush :biggrin:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The floppiness you don't like probably contributes to the flow through and splay that you do like, so you know there's trade-offs in everything. With that in mind, and assuming you want to stick with badger (which may not be a good assumption), I would recommend looking at Simpson's line of mid-sized Best Badger brushes. They are not as densely packed as their priemium brush (good for flow through), but the Best Badger bristles still gives them decent backbone and a touch of scrub that is not nearly as prickly as pure badger. Between the Case, Special, Colonial, and Commodore (maybe another model that doesn't come immediately to mind), pick one that has a handle shape you'll like.

The floppiness you don't like probably contributes to the flow through and splay that you do like, so you know there's trade-offs in everything. With that in mind, and assuming you want to stick with badger (which may not be a good assumption), I would recommend looking at Simpson's line of mid-sized Best Badger brushes. They are not as densely packed as their priemium brush (good for flow through), but the Best Badger bristles still gives them decent backbone and a touch of scrub that is not nearly as prickly as pure badger. Between the Case, Special, Colonial, and Commodore (maybe another model that doesn't come immediately to mind), pick one that has a handle shape you'll like.

+1. There are definite tradeoffs! Personally, I do not like pure badger, but really like Simpson's best. Tons of great options!

Top Bottom