What's new

Replating Effect Value?

so, how does replating a razor effect value? the slims are not costly at all right now for one like mine with average wear it seems. but in another 40 years this may be different. I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot down the road if I get it replated... or, maybe I keep this one, get one in rougher shape (nothing horrible, just not as good as this one is) for cheap of Fleabay and use that one to get replated...

I just want your thoughts here. I don't PLAN to resell any. but you don't know what the future olds, and as I grow older my preferences may change. and I do hope to ONE DAY go to a straight razor (no rush AT ALL, I can wait a few years before even attempting this and be happy) so I cant say that I will positively want to hold onto every DE razor I have for life.

for cost reference, I purchased this razor for $33 dollars 2 years ago... I see them on Ebay even cheaper lately it seems. found one yesterday in somewhat comparable condition for $19 Shipped. I could easily keep mine as is, and pay $20 for another to use for replating. the cheapest replating I have found so far thats with a REPUTABLE and RECOMMENDED guy/company is $40 plus the $5 to ship it to him. so depending on the route I take, I am looking at $65 - $77 invested in the razor.so, how does replating a razor effect value? the slims are not costly at all right now for one like mine with average wear it seems. but in another 40 years this may be different. I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot down the road if I get it replated... or, maybe I keep this one, get one in rougher shape (nothing horrible, just not as good as this one is) for cheap of Fleabay and use that one to get replated...

I just want your thoughts here. I don't PLAN to resell any. but you don't know what the future olds, and as I grow older my preferences may change. and I do hope to ONE DAY go to a straight razor (no rush AT ALL, I can wait a few years before even attempting this and be happy) so I cant say that I will positively want to hold onto every DE razor I have for life.

for cost reference, I purchased this razor for $33 dollars 2 years ago... I see them on Ebay even cheaper lately it seems. found one yesterday in somewhat comparable condition for $19 Shipped. I could easily keep mine as is, and pay $20 for another to use for replating. the cheapest replating I have found so far thats with a REPUTABLE and RECOMMENDED guy/company is $40 plus the $5 to ship it to him. so depending on the route I take, I am looking at $65 - $77 invested in the razor.

this would be an even bigger question with a fatboy I think, as those seem to demand a bit more.

so, how does replating a razor effect value? the slims are not costly at all right now for one like mine with average wear it seems. but in another 40 years this may be different. I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot down the road if I get it replated... or, maybe I keep this one, get one in rougher shape (nothing horrible, just not as good as this one is) for cheap of Fleabay and use that one to get replated...

for cost reference, I purchased this razor for $33 dollars 2 years ago... I see them on Ebay even cheaper lately it seems. found one yesterday in somewhat comparable condition for $19 Shipped. I could easily keep mine as is, and pay $20 for another to use for replating. the cheapest replating I have found so far thats with a REPUTABLE and RECOMMENDED guy/company is $40 plus the $5 to ship it to him. so depending on the route I take, I am looking at $65 - $77 invested in the razor.so, how does replating a razor effect value? the slims are not costly at all right now for one like mine with average wear it seems. but in another 40 years this may be different. I am wondering if I am shooting myself in the foot down the road if I get it replated... or, maybe I keep this one, get one in rougher shape (nothing horrible, just not as good as this one is) for cheap of Fleabay and use that one to get replated...

for cost reference, I purchased this razor for $33 dollars 2 years ago... I see them on Ebay even cheaper lately it seems. found one yesterday in somewhat comparable condition for $19 Shipped. I could easily keep mine as is, and pay $20 for another to use for replating. the cheapest replating I have found so far thats with a REPUTABLE and RECOMMENDED guy/company is $40 plus the $5 to ship it to him. so depending on the route I take, I am looking at $65 - $77 invested in the razor.

this would be an even bigger question with a fatboy I think, as those seem to demand a bit more.
Im having a major case of Deja Vu... :blink:

All kidding aside, I myself am thinking of picking a razor or two and having them replated. I don't really care about the value of them, as they are my go to razors that I will be using for years. Replating them is more for longevity than anything else... as well as being more pleasing to my eyes.

I read many of thread on the topic, so I did my searching, but usually the questions were based on plating in general, not specific razors. im wondering about these two specifically I guess. I'm not taking Razors in perfect condition and replating them. though i do think my slim is in decent shape. its clean, functional, no brass showing, no pitting.... I'm not a collector at the moment so I dont know how good they have to be before they are no longer just "user grade".

I wouldn't expect a replating to hurt the value, but I wouldn't expect to get your investment out of it if you plan to sell.

For instance with trucks, adding lifts and tires and wheel etc, most people I've talked to have said don't expect to get more than 1/4 of what you paid for "add ons" back

Meaning if you bought the razor for $20 and replayed for $45 you'd be into it $65, expect to get $31.25 if you sale. Approximately

good question, one which has crossed my mind as well. However, I'm never planning on selling a razor (not into that). I've traded several, PIF'd a few but never sold one.

Most razors that need replating will increase in value but not likely to the extent that the plating itself cost. The exception would be razors that regularly sell for over $100, but then you would have to luck out and buy a user grade for half that just to come out even. A mint original razor will almost always be more sought after than a replated one, but if you are talking razors in the $30-70 range its really a moot point.

You can look at websites such as Hibco, Sport Shaving and Razor Emporium to get an idea of what they are asking for replated razors. They also sometimes sell them on ebay. Could you get that much for a replated razor? I doubt it since you would have probably used it. Nobody knows what they will be worth in the future. If you look at cars, in the past the completely restored classic was worth the big bucks. Now, unrestored, original cars in good condition can bring a lot of money. I have some razors that I plan to get replated. I also plan to use them the rest of my life, and they will get handed down to my son. Others that I don't use as much will stay as they are now, in original condition.

IMHO replating will not negatively affect the value of a vintage razor that is already out of the box (not NOS). In many cases I can see where it would actually enhance value, particularly if the razor is replated with great skill and in keeping with the finish that was standard during its production run.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
If you are thinking of having a razor re-plated it already is a user grade razor and the first reason you should re-plate is for you
chances are you will be lucky to get the money you spent to have it done back if you resell it ,Here is the big But......They look amazing when you have them in your hand and shave with it ,they look like brand new Razors for the most part and it just makes you feel good

i have a fatboy and a couple of NEW heads and a handle off waiting in line to get plated. i bought and uses they razors and made sure i liked them before getting them plated. i am doing this for me. paying $40 to replate a $5 razor does not make economical sense, but i knew that they were keepers for me. they will look nicer, and be easier to maintain with a nickle over the bare brass. i have had a few fatboys, but knew i would keep this 59.. it actually looked fine but since i am keeping it, i wanted to get a totally new finish for the next 50+ years of use.

I've had a few razors replated, but they were beaters to start with, so there is no question that the nice replating jobs increased their value. I didn't do it for that reason; I just wanted a "like new" razor to shave with. If I were to sell them, could I recover the cost of replating? Probably not, but again that wasn't the point. I like your plan to get a semi-funky one and restore it to like new condition, as that's basically what I did.

For a rare or even uncommon razor, I would not consider it.

But Slims and Fat Boys are considered common razors, so I'm hard pressed to dream up a way you'll get hurt. If they are rough enough to need replating then you are not risking much.
If you wish to replate just to "start fresh" it's no big deal. It's not like you are doodling on the Mona Lisa. Enjoy your razor no matter which choice you make.:thumbup1:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Seems to me that you can pick up a cherry Slim for less than a replate job, especially after including the postage. Stash it and continue using your old one.

If you get the job done by the right guy and use it, ten years down the road nobody, including yourself, will be able to tell.

Seems to me that you can pick up a cherry Slim for less than a replate job, especially after including the postage. Stash it and continue using your old one.

If you get the job done by the right guy and use it, ten years down the road nobody, including yourself, will be able to tell.
+1

Most razors that need replating will increase in value but not likely to the extent that the plating itself cost. The exception would be razors that regularly sell for over $100, but then you would have to luck out and buy a user grade for half that just to come out even. A mint original razor will almost always be more sought after than a replated one, but if you are talking razors in the $30-70 range its really a moot point.

+1. This is my understanding also. IMO the reason to replate is that you will enjoy using the razor more, not to increase its resale value.

Most Slims are in pretty good condition, and the plating is still pretty good. My father has been using it for over fifty years - and there still isn't any plating loss.

Unless you demand a shiny, glossy razor, there's no real need to worry too much about your Slim.

I would feel free to replate anything that was not NOS. There are plenty of other examples of any particular razor available, so replating does not significantly diminish the pool of unretouched razors.

Top Bottom