What's new

New rifle

Hey all, just picked up a Sako Bavarian in
.338 Win Mag
Want to site it in with 200 grain
Anyone shooting the same gun please suggest what ammo shoots well out of this monster??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dad shoots same caliber, but a Remington. His shoots the Remington express core lock with great accuracy. I think they are heavier than 200 though. Get a nice shoulder pad for shooting. That round is a mule!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You're all set to reach out and touch 'em in the next zip code!

You'll just have to try different ammo in it to see what it likes best. Even rifles of the same brand and caliber will like different ammo between each gun. Pick up a few different brands of 200 grainers and do some testing. Although you might want to spread out the sight-ins over several days with that one. :001_smile

Congrats on your new long distance carrier.

I would take several days to site in. No sense killing your shoulder. Try different manufacturers ammo. I think you find that most of the major manufacturers are fairly close if your shooting the send grain of powder, projectile etc.

You're all set to reach out and touch 'em in the next zip code!

You'll just have to try different ammo in it to see what it likes best. Even rifles of the same brand and caliber will like different ammo between each gun. Pick up a few different brands of 200 grainers and do some testing. Although you might want to spread out the sight-ins over several days with that one. :001_smile

Congrats on your new long distance carrier.

This is sound advice. I had a .223 (I know, midget caliber in comparison) that at 100 yds. I could hold a 1/2 inch group with a bulk winchester varmint round, but could only get an inch at best with federal match grade rounds. Yet the federal shot very well out of a friends rifle. I got under 1/4 inch with reloaded sierra seconds.

I also sighted a friends 30-06 for him. New scope and he wanted me to use some cheap ammo he had to get it close and fine tune it with his core-loct ammo. The cheap stuff was about an inch and centered, when I switched to the remington, it was 8 inches high left and best group I got from it was 2 1/4 inches.

I know the calibers are different, but the theory is the same. Some firearms just don't like some rounds.

Sweet! Congrats!

I shoot a pre-64 Winchester M70 in 338 Win Mag. I'd suggest trying the Barnes 225 gr TTSX. Great round and I've had good accuracy with it.

Eric

I've never had the opportunity to own a 338 Win Mag so I don't have any advice but would love to see some pictures! Do you reload?

Top Bottom