What's new

Chrono results: Marlin Cowboy .357 rifle with Remington 180gr SJHP factory ammo

Having my new Garmin chronograph, I'm starting to test my chosen factory ammo in the gun(s) I intend them for. In this test, I wanted to see how the Remington .357 Mag 180gr SJHP ammo performed out of my Marlin Cowboy rifle. The Marlin Cowboy has a 24" barrel. My hope was that I would be getting some great performance and screaming velocity. My only knowledge up until now with this video, where the guy tested this ammo in a 16" Rossi rifle. He got 1,563 fps from a single shot, so I was hoping I was going to see higher velocity from the 24" barrel. Of course, that might not be true if the powder completely burned inside the barrel.

Here are the results from five shots:
  • 1,498.8 fps
  • 1,548.3 fps
  • 1,549.1 fps
  • 1,512.4 fps
  • 1,523.1 fps
  • 1,525 fps average, with an energy of 930 foot pounds
While these results are great, it does tell me that my concerns were realized about the powder completely burning in the barrel. None of my shots got to the number the guy in the video got out of his 16" barrel. I realize there are some caveats, such as different chronos, different conditions (I was indoors), and different guns. However, I think it's pretty clear that the powder has burned completely inside the barrel before the bullet has exited, so the bullet is actually slowing down because of friction. I need to develop a handload with a slower powder so I can take advantage of the longer barrel.

I have never played with my chrony with powder burners, just use it for air guns. Years ago I got a 1894 cowboy, but in .44 mag. also a couple of handguns and honestly wish I had gone the .357 route. Just shooting that rifle compared to handgun you can tell it is a whole different animal when shooting the same load out of a rifle vs revolver.

I have never played with my chrony with powder burners, just use it for air guns. Years ago I got a 1894 cowboy, but in .44 mag. also a couple of handguns and honestly wish I had gone the .357 route. Just shooting that rifle compared to handgun you can tell it is a whole different animal when shooting the same load out of a rifle vs revolver.

Yeah, the Marlin Cowboy is amazingly easy to just point and shoot. I got it for cowboy action shooting back a long time ago, and it was like you didn't have to aim it to get hits.

Now that I'm not doing cowboy shooting, I like it as a possible self defense or maybe deer hunting. Shooting full .357 Magnums through it feels like you're shooting a .22LR, there's such little recoil.

I have the cowboy models in .22lr and .44 Mag both of those with Lyman tang sights, then 38-55 and 45-70. The latter is a beast to shoot, it's just so light for that caliber. They are all fun. The .22 and .44 gets the most use.

My Henry X launches 200gr .358 bullets at 2291 average fps. Going to try some of the lighter .357 bullets now that I have brass available to try. It's a step up from my 45 colt but below my 45-70. I like the mix of increased power and reduced recoil. I have a few pre Remlin rifles from my dad and grandpa and might give the Ruger Marlin's a try. Sold all the Remlins after trying to get them fixed/working w/o success. Hoping for a stainless 45 Colt from Marlin but Ruger is slowly updating and rolling out models so who knows.

What load do you use to get almost 2300 fps from a 200gr bullet out of a .357 in a rifle? That velocity sounds about 1000 fps higher than it should. A 200 gr Hornady LEVERevolution round in 35 Remington is about 2200 fps.

Last edited:
It's a different animal. 1.8" straight wall case using .358 dia bullets but SAAMI specs show .359 +- .003 so wanting to try some .357 bullets as well. Powder is Hodgen CFE BLK that was designed for 300 Blackout. I'm working up charges but at 35gr and not compressed. No pressure signs yet but cases are designed for 50,000 psi and I'm keeping an eye on how the primers look. Hoping to get 2500 fps with the 200gr but accuracy will decide in the end. Maybe some 135s at 3000 fps for woodchucks (poof, gone). Idea is for hog hunting with deer on the back burner. Its faster than a 30-30 with less drop at 200yds. I wanted more power than a hopped up 45 Colt and less recoil than 45-70, plus a couple extra rounds in the gun. I briefly considered the Rossi in 454 Casull but that recoil in a 6lb rifle left me uncertain, this is mild recoil in a 8lb rifle. What I'd really like is a 500S&W lever gun but that's not in the budget. Ordered a bunch of RPP mods to see if they are worth it.

Top Bottom