What's new

May Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Pizza

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Where making mini-pizza's tonight with ciabatta bread. But for the cookout I want to make my own crust. I plan on a thin crispy crust. I don't have a pizza oven or a pizza stone. I wonder if an 1/2"x18"x18" travertine tile would work like a pizza stone?

Aaron, pizza done directly on the bbq can be excellent, as can pizza done on a metal sheet/pan in a regular oven, don't let the lack of a stone stop you from making your own dough, you can get great results without. Our stone sits in the oven all the time but we never use it for pizza.
dave

A pizza stone is a valuable tool for other things as well.

I use mine my HD, thick, high heat one on my ceramic grill as a diffuser. Our kitchen ones get used for quasadillas. We have nice rectangular one too. The more you use if, the better it gets.

Go buy one Aaron, they are worth the $20

I'll join this cookout, I make pizza about once a week anyway!
1. Doctorshavegood

2. brucered
3. TexLaw
4. MrSpeedy
5.Alacrity59
6. Cleanshaved
7. redfalconf35
8. garyg
9. Mischief
10. Greg the Hammer

Given that the snow might finally be over by May, I can load up the Egg and try some pizza, and so ..

Although I don't have snow to contend with, pizza on the kamado has not happened in a while at my place. That's my plan, too.

1. Doctorshavegood
2. brucered
3. TexLaw
4. MrSpeedy
5.Alacrity59
6. Cleanshaved
7. redfalconf35
8. garyg
9. Mischief
10. Greg the Hammer
11. MarkSD

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I'm cookin' definitely/maybe!!! :001_unsur ... If I run out of time I know someone I can call... :whistling:

1. Doctorshavegood
2. brucered
3. TexLaw
4. MrSpeedy
5.Alacrity59
6. Cleanshaved
7. redfalconf35
8. garyg
9. Mischief
10. Greg the Hammer
11. MarkSD
12. Intrigued

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm cookin' definitely/maybe!!! :001_unsur ... If I run out of time I know someone I can call... :whistling:

1. Doctorshavegood
2. brucered
3. TexLaw
4. MrSpeedy
5.Alacrity59
6. Cleanshaved
7. redfalconf35
8. garyg
9. Mischief
10. Greg the Hammer
11. MarkSD
12. Intrigued

Connie, you're a great chef. Thanks for the maybe:001_smile

Sadly, I think I have to sit this one out. I'm out of town both weekends and I'm not sure I'll have time to put something together specifically cookout-worthy in between. I might pop in and post a regular every-friday-night pizza, but we'll see.

Starting early and will be saving some pics from tonight's homemade pizza inspired meal.

Stuff is rising, cooking and frying as I type.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I went out today to pick up some fresh mozzarella. Bumped into some old friends when in the shop. They recommended the pizza base that they make there, so I picked a couple up. They are a restaurant and also a small Italian store, small goods, cheese, pasta etc etc.
I was going to make one from scratch but have been lacking motivation so a lazy entry will follow.

Any way I walked out with buffalo mozzarella and couple of fresh pizza bases.......now what?

$20160430_121141.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It's fading quickly :sad: but I think there is enough for a sauce.

Chris, I like a simple sauce with puréed tomato, garlic, a pinch of oregano and salt. Maybe a little olive oil, that's it. Cook it down some to reduce. Youtube has good simple pizza sauce recipes. As for the pizza crust, it's new to me sort of and I'll watch you first.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, I like a simple sauce with puréed tomato, garlic, a pinch of oregano and salt. Maybe a little olive oil, that's it. Cook it down some to reduce. Youtube has good simple pizza sauce recipes. As for the pizza crust, it's new to me sort of and I'll watch you first.

There is basically that on top of the stove simmering now. This will be a KISS (Keep it simple stupid) pizza.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Wait a second, the pizza thingy doesn't start till next Saturday.

I'm not waiting for you Aaron. I'm hungry now. Pizza and beer for dinner.......photos for Ron.
The wife is late home and I'm hungry. Does the good doctor advise leaving her some or destroying all the evidence?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm not waiting for you Aaron. I'm hungry now. Pizza and beer for dinner.......photos for Ron.
The wife is late home and I'm hungry. Does the good doctor advise leaving her some or destroying all the evidence?

I'm not getting in the middle of domestic pizza pies. If you must, blow on the pizza pie....lol...:lol:

Top Bottom