What's new

Lens trouble

Canon EF 55-250, when trying to focus with AF, it shutters like it's rapidly trying to zoom in and out just on either side of in focus. Because of this I can never get an AF lock. Ideas of what might be going on?

Have you tried another lens to see if it's body or lens related? I did have something similar a while back an it was just the contacts on the camera body needed a little cleaning.
Pretty sure someone will have better advice soon though!

That should be Canon EF-S 55-250, there is no full frame Canon lens in that focal length. Don't know for certain what the cause is, but I'd try switching the AF/MF switch to manual focus and seeing how it feels when you rotate the focus ring. Does it feel unusually stiff or like the resistance is irregular? Also (probably not the issue, the described symptoms aren't really correct), you are focusing on something father away than the minimum focus distance for the lens, correct?

Have you tried another lens to see if it's body or lens related? I did have something similar a while back an it was just the contacts on the camera body needed a little cleaning.
Pretty sure someone will have better advice soon though!

Always worth trying a different lens and double checking the cleanliness of your contact points for an issue like this.

all suggestions above are good.
two more thoughts.
one, try switching IS on an off to see any change.
two, modern autofocus lenses with image stabilization have internal motors that will go bad, whether from age, use, shock, poor qc, whatever.
in which case, requires factory service. canon service has good reputation.

all suggestions above are good.
two more thoughts.
one, try switching IS on an off to see any change.
two, modern autofocus lenses with image stabilization have internal motors that will go bad, whether from age, use, shock, poor qc, whatever.
in which case, requires factory service. canon service has good reputation.

Yeah, I forgot that lens has IS. My wife has one, but I shoot with full frame and can't use it.

Fixed it

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom