What's new

My Custom Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle for My Chubby 2!

I shave in the shower and face lather. My shower is a stall shower. When I rinse after a pass, if my brush is out in the open, water from the shower head or splashes can really thin out the lather for my subsequent passes. For years, I was using a cappuccino mug. I would lay the mug sideways and keep the loaded brush in it between passes.

I was very curious about scuttles for a long time, but a normal scuttle seemed not to be a good fit for my process (face lathering) and environment (a very wet stall shower). So, I started looking at brush scuttles. I thought the Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle would work for me since the loaded brush would be down in a receptacle instead of laying sideways.

The problem though, was that my brush is a Chubby 2 (in super badger), and the insert of the scuttle tapers down from 3” at the top to 1” at the bottom. Oh, I knew I could get my brush in there, but I felt I needed something bigger to accommodate my brush so it could be low in the insert and not be hit by water between passes.

I contacted Julie at Dirty Bird, and asked is she could make the insert wider. She said she could, and asked how big I’d want it. Rather than guess, I made some mocked up inserts at home using paper cups, and determined that if the insert was wider so it tapered down to 1.5”, it would fit my brush much better, but 2” at the bottom (twice the size of the normal spec) would be great (but I sorta thought that would not be possible). At either of those options, the brush would be down far enough in the insert, but the wider it was, the easier it to insert and remove the loaded brush. Julie said she’d make the insert bigger, at least 1.5”, and go as big as she could. She was not sure she could get as big as 2”.

Two weeks later, I received the scuttle, and I was ecstatic to see that Julie was indeed able to get the insert to be a full 2” at the bottom!

Having used the scuttle now for about a month, I can say that it is indeed perfect, and I cannot be happier with the scuttle and Julie’s excellent service and craftsmanship

Enough talk, now for the pics…

The scuttle and my brush:

$scuttle-2a.jpg

$scuttle-3a.jpg

I fill the outer chamber with hot tap water, fill the insert about halfway with hot water, and soak the brush. I typically face lather, but for this post I bowl lathered so I could show pics of a fully loaded brush…

$scuttle-6a.jpg

…and the loaded brush in the insert. The bottom of the brush handle is about level with the top of the insert, and top of the brush touches the bottom of the insert. Even though it looks like there is plenty of room at the bottom of the insert, the brush is in there snug (but not tight). When I pull the brush out, there is still a little bit of a vacuum. I have to hold the insert down because it pulls up with the brush. But, the brush is not compressed very much, and the entire lathered brush heats up quite nicely.

$scuttle-7a.jpg

Loaded brush removed from the insert. Compare to the pic above (before inserted) and you can see that it is hardly compressed.

$scuttle-8a.jpg

All in all, I am thrilled with this scuttle, and of course, as many people know, Julie is the best!

I decided to post this for you all, not only to share my great experience, but also because when I was researching brush scuttles, it was kind of difficult to find a lot of information. So, I hope this helps, but the curious, and the information seekers.

Thanks!

and i was so happy with my two vintage scuttles and my two modern, different sized scuttles, and you have to show me a design that i did not know about; guess i'll have to bring out my wallet again.

there's always a plan B

Julie was one of the people who started the scuttle mania on B&B. I have one of the original ones she made. I bet she will add this size as an option as she did with 1.5 scuttle also.

marty

Top Bottom