What's new

Astra SPs are Impressive...

dabrock, I know where you're coming from, I have almost 400 Astras plus about 70 Lab Blues and 50 GSBs, so there is really no reason to push each blade to 20 shaves for economical reasons.

However, I'm finding that I'm getting much smoother shaves from Day 3 - Day 7. Day 2 is smoother than Day 1. Close shaves are about the same from Day 1- 7. What this means is that as long as I'm getting the same 3-pass BBS shaves, it benefits me to push the blade longer and enjoy smoother shaves. Day 1 is like I'm using my face to strop the blade, Day 2 is much better but Day 3 and forward are the sweet spot for me.

I'm going to try for 15 shaves this time around, but I'll toss the blade the moment its cutting / closeness performance drops. If I can get 15 BBS shaves from one blade, that means I can change blades on the 1st and 15th of the month and eliminate 2 blade changes from my current weekly blade replacement schedule, which also means eliminating 2 1st and 2nd day not-as-smooth shaves per month.

Last edited:
My first 100 box purchase after an initial sample pack was my first foray into DE shaving. Solid value/performance. On my second box as they're in my rotation.

I think that I need to collect some blades from some members that just use a blade like Astra SP 3 times and toss it.
I'm now on shave #8 on my blade, and I know that it has a few more on it!

They don't last long for me, but nothing does. Not only do I have a tough dense beard I have to triple pass for BBS I also shave my head BBS. My two and done is equal to probably five or more average guy shaves.

Shave 30 today and counting.

I'm using another Astra SP separately for my head shaves, it has 15 two pass shaves on it. Couldn't get pass 12 with a GSB or Feather.

Both are still going... [emoji41]

I just tossed a Astra SP after 14 shaves. I know that I could have gotten some more but; It's time to try out a different razor that I haven't used before, so must move on.

I think I have about 18-20 shaves on the current Astra SP in my Weber, I had to go out of town a couple of times since I last posted and I lost count on the razor I keep at home.

The shaves are still excellent, but I'm gonna go ahead and switch blades on the 1st and 16th of every month for now. That way I'll just no-brain it, get good shaves each time I change a blade, excellent shaves after the blade change, and not have to remember how many shaves I have on each.

I'm pretty excited by this recent revelation. Right now shaving for me is as good as it gets. If it gets any better I don't know if I could stand it.

I'll be spending 20 cents per month on razor blades. Never would have thought that two years ago. And I'm doing this for great shaves, not for saving money.

Great job [MENTION=93415]cheeks[/MENTION]! [emoji106]

The only reason why I count shaves is to help others, here on B&B, see that they can be freed from the chains and bondage of using blades for a set number of shaves.

I was trapped in that realm for so time and have been freed. I will change the blade when a BBS shave becomes difficult to get, whatever that number will be.

I'd had to resist opening the 100 blade pack of SP's that have been in my cupboard for months as I was determined to 3017 some sample blades. But the day came two days ago: the first shave was nice, but the second was exceptional - it felt like I was just wiping the whiskers off my face. It was like welcoming back an old friend.

Popped a new SP in the postwar Tech for my head shaves after using a GSB. I went back to back with these two blades and the Astra SPs beat the GSBs in my book.

The Astra SP is a highly underrated blade.

Astra SP - 18 BBS head shaves
GSB - 11-12 BBS head shaves

I have 12 shaves on an Astra SS in another postwar Tech for my face shaves. I have 30 shaves on a SP that's on hold, the SS looks like it will get there as well.

They are great blades, I would pay Feather prices for the Astra SP and SS.

I have recently been converted to the Astra myself, I had a bad time with them when I first started a few years back now but after a revisit I'm considering buying 100, not that I'm short on blades by any means. That said I really want to try the Astra SS but they just Arnt as common round my way if you arnt buying 100. Only reason these arnt in my top 5 is that I haven't played with them enough to date.

I have recently been converted to the Astra myself, I had a bad time with them when I first started a few years back now but after a revisit I'm considering buying 100, not that I'm short on blades by any means. That said I really want to try the Astra SS but they just Arnt as common round my way if you arnt buying 100. Only reason these arnt in my top 5 is that I haven't played with them enough to date.
I haven't noticed any notable differences between the SS and SP. Some say one is smoother than the other, my slick lather says there equally smooth.

As far as performance, the SS is at 13 shaves and going strong. I have a SP on hold with 30 shaves on it, 3 of which are head shaves. I may pause the SS on 31 shaves and switch back to the SP.

Both are great blades!

rabidus, I appreciate your feedback on this thread and glad you're doing the counting for us!

I have to fly out of state this coming weekend, and don't want to risk the airlines losing my luggage, etc. so I'm leaving my travel Weber PH at home rather than risk losing it. I can afford to lose my suitcase but since they don't make Weber razors any more, I don't want to lose one of my three Webers.

I bought a pre-war Tech to substitute for my Weber on this trip, it was delivered yesterday and I loaded it with an Astra SP this morning to see what kind of shave I could get. Got a really nice near BBS shave that lasted well into the day, but not as good as with the Weber. I attribute that to my first use of a Tech, I'm thinking I can get it dialed in with a few more shaves. I bought the Tech primarily by going on your remarks in this thread, but I'm using one of my Weber handles on it. The Tech head, Weber handle and the Astra SP look like they're going to be a good combination. Now I don't have to worry about losing an endangered species when traveling.

[MENTION=93415]cheeks[/MENTION]

You're welcome for the feedback, it's my pleasure.

Congrats on the prewar Tech, it's a great razor. But I find te postwar Tech to be the better Tech. The postwar Tech has a more rigid blade edge than the prewar, which makes it more efficient. It has a different baseplate design. The blade may go the distance in prewar Tech but it may transition differently.

I haven't used my prewar Tech in a while and I never used a blade in it past 4-5 shaves.

The only two razors that I used for longevity are the NEW SC and Postwar Tech.

Let me know how it goes with that combo.

@cheeks

You're welcome for the feedback, it's my pleasure.

Congrats on the prewar Tech, it's a great razor. But I find te postwar Tech to be the better Tech. The postwar Tech has a more rigid blade edge than the prewar, which makes it more efficient. It has a different baseplate design. The blade may go the distance in prewar Tech but it may transition differently.

I haven't used my prewar Tech in a while and I never used a blade in it past 4-5 shaves.

The only two razors that I used for longevity are the NEW SC and Postwar Tech.

Let me know how it goes with that combo.

Second shave with the Tech Wednesday morning was better, this is the only razor I've had that rivals the Weber and I'm very pleasantly surprised. I was dreading the trip to South Carolina this weekend, thinking I'd have to take my old cartridge razor so I said what the heck, I'll buy a Tech, they're inexpensive and plentiful...but was gonna pack the cartridge to go with it in case the Tech gave me an average shave in closeness like my EJ 89. Admittedly, I've only tried a few different DE razors...EJ 89 and two vintage Aristocrats but the Weber smoked those so bad I didn't even look for another razor until now, when I needed a "cheap" razor I could afford to lose.

I've taken your advice and I'm now looking for a post war Tech to add to my lineup. You mention you feel the post war base plate contributes to blade stability and less chatter, but do you think the longer top cap center bars (compared to the pre-war) contributes to this as well?

Really excited about my Tech, I didn't expect the performance I'm getting. I think the NEW SC is out of the equation for me, from what I see of it and from what I've read, the Weber handle won't match up with the base plate very well....and using another handle besides the Weber bulldog is non-negotiable for me.

Last edited:
Really excited about my Tech, I didn't expect the performance I'm getting. I think the NEW SC is out of the equation for me, from what I see of it and from what I've read, the Weber handle won't match up with the base plate very well....and using another handle besides the Weber bulldog is non-negotiable for me.

You can use an 8mm washer in between the space or you can dremil the space wider. I've done both...

$uploadfromtaptalk1463051848848.jpg

Postwar Tech/Astra SP(34)

It unofficially has 37 shaves on it, 3 of the 34 were head shaves, I'm not balding, so it's a full head of hair. I got DFS to BBS today. Going to pop it into the NEW SC for tomorrow's shave to see how it performs. Other than that, it's done. I was only able to get 18 head shaves out of an Astra SP, so I was expecting twice as many face shaves.

$ .09 a blade... Very impressive...

Last edited:
Top Bottom