What's new

What Do You Use in Your Old Fashioned Drinks?

For me bourbon or rye though I prefer rye. I've seen guys use crown royal (and many Canadians I've met call crown "rye"). IMHO an old fashioned calls for a nice standalone whisky while a Manhattan masks the flavor too much and calls for cheaper bourbon. I also take my Manhattan "perfect" to eliminate some of the sweet vermouth. A massive ice cube really helps too by preventing too much melt from watering down the drink.

I use Buffalo Trace or Bulleit bourbon. When I was in Seattle last year I had a Rum and Rye Old Fashioned at a local bar. It was delicious! I'd like to try it with Bulleit Rye sometime.

Buffalo Trace is a fantastic bourbon. Better than many much more expensive expressions. I've been to cocktail bars that serve all types of old fashioned drinks, my personal favorite other than the classic was an aquavit and apple old fashioned.

Tennessee Whisky? You mean Jack Daniels? Not to start a JD good-or-not flame war -- it has it's place -- but IMHO Jack Daniels is not a good bourbon/whiskey for Manhattans or Old Fashioneds. As others above have indicated you need something that will stand up to the basic sweetness of the vermouth/sugar without adding a lot of sweetness itself. JD is not overly sweet for a bourbon (yeah, yeah - "Tennessee whisky") but something about it seems to accentuate the sweetness of whatever it's mixed with (Likely why it's popular among the college crowd in "Jack and Cokes.")
many say they are the same but Tenessee whisky is produced almost exactly the same as bourbon but they champion the fact that they charcoal filter the final product to remove any impurities. This is why it has so much less flavor than real bourbon. As you said it has its place but it's not the same thing. I also agree that makers makes an excellent Manhattan but I wouldn't ruin anything nicer than basic makers with vermouth. I keep the cheaper stuff for cocktails and drink the nice stuff neat or on the rocks. I also hope you don't put single malt in a rob Roy and stick to blended grain scotch whisky for mixing.

I prefer bourbon for my Old Fashioned and rye for Sazeracs and Manhattans, but a Templeton Rye Old Fashioned is pretty good. The worst Old Fashioned I had was made with Jim Beam and soda - undrinkable.

What do you gents think of Old Overholt rye?
A good solid rye in my book. At basically the same price point, I prefer Dickel rye, but I would certainly never have a complaint with OO in my Old Fashioned. It's a safe bet in just about any decent bar. For a few more bucks, Rittenhouse is also an excellent rye and worth the premium, IMHO.

A good solid rye in my book. At basically the same price point, I prefer Dickel rye, but I would certainly never have a complaint with OO in my Old Fashioned. It's a safe bet in just about any decent bar. For a few more bucks, Rittenhouse is also an excellent rye and worth the premium, IMHO.

Thank you for the feedback!

It was made for rye, my man. Or rye was made for it. Hard to tell that chicken from that egg.

Perhaps rye gained its popularity due to its use in Sazeracs starting in the late 19th century but that only happened because cognac became very difficult to obtain at that time. The sazerac was named after a cognac brandy imported under that name. Ironic that later the reverse would happen and a brand of rye would emerge named after the cocktail. Speaking traditionally "old fashioned" refers to any cocktail made in the traditional American recipe of combing whisky or brandy with bitters, water, and sugar.

Perhaps rye gained its popularity due to its use in Sazeracs starting in the late 19th century but that only happened because cognac became very difficult to obtain at that time. The sazerac was named after a cognac brandy imported under that name. Ironic that later the reverse would happen and a brand of rye would emerge named after the cocktail. Speaking traditionally "old fashioned" refers to any cocktail made in the traditional American recipe of combing whisky or brandy with bitters, water, and sugar.
+1

Rye most definitely. I primarily use Bulleit. Just got some Whistle Pig Rye that is quite good, but I don't think I'll be mixing it.

Top Bottom