What's new

Leather overnight bag recommendations?

Looking for a nice leather overnight bag or weekend bag.

I have seen several on ebay that look nice but are made of goatskin leather. They are priced affordably, but seem low for the product.

Is goatskin leather sturdy enough for a weekend bag?

How would that compare to the Duluth AWOL bag?

I have a Piels leather travel duffle I bought 6-7 years ago on eBags.com. I've travelled all over the US, Carribean, and Europe using it. Never failed. It's a really nice and well constructed bag.

I have done a ton of travel over the years and have used many bags over millions of miles. So here are a few thoughts for consideration.

Leather bags look and feel great when new. BUT they are heavy and tend to show scratches and wear. I have several, expensive but beaten up bags that sit in the closet and have been there for years.

These days i prefer Tom Bihn bags (http://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/luggage.html) for most of my travel. The other company that I would consider is Red Oxx (http://www.redoxx.com/). These are both US made products that are absolutely top-notch, well designed, light weight and very durable.

So, leather is terrific and can look great IMO unless you plan a fair bit of travel and use the luggage fairly hard. Obviously YMMV, but these are some thoughts for consideration.

Well I travel a lot (flying) and I do not use a leather bag for those trips due to weight and rough handling.

On road trips though, my favorite overnight or weekend bag is a leather King Ranch bag. It is pricey but a beautiful bag and commented on by everyone who sees it.

I have nothing but good service from my leather bag. Air travel, car travel, overseas ship travel..still looks good and does the job. But....

I must defer to the Filson gear. Stuff is like cast iron. Spendy but worth it.

I prefer Tumi. Indestructible! I have decade old briefcase and luggage that have been the world over and still look like new.

strop

Now half as wise
The Duluth AWOL bag is nice. Well constructed and soft but does not have a shoulder strap, which at times has been a draw back. I only use it for weekend car trips so not as much of an issue as if flying.

All those scuffs and little scratches are called patina!:thumbup:

After many thousands of miles and roughshod handling, my leather bag still looks pretty good I think.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

It is...they make a couple versions of it though. The newer ones have a side pocket running the length of the bag; mine doesn't. Not that makes a difference I don't think. Probably a nice addition to an already fine bag.

Last edited:
It is...they make a couple versions of it though. The newer ones have a side pocket running the length of the bag; mine doesn't. Not that makes a difference I don't think. Probably a nice addition to an already fine bag.

I would say the bag looks very good. I may have to pick one up. Thank you for taking the time to post pictures with your comments. It has been very helpful.

Top Bottom