What's new

Restoration: Gillette Empire case + old type

A while back, I bought this set from an old antique store.
The case had a warped corner and the lining on the inside was also in a bad condition.
(all of these pictures were beforing any cleaning, cleaning process in next post)
$IMG_0614.jpg$IMG_0616.jpg$IMG_0744.jpg$IMG_0760.jpg

Last edited:
So then I took the lining out of the case and cleaned everything with an ultrasonic cleaner (case and razor) and hammered the corner so it aligned with the top lid
$IMG_1357.jpg

The purple fabric was really falling apart, but still had some good pieces to it so I could see the original color of the velvet which helped in finding some new fabric. I separated the fabric from the trays and soaked the logo in some hot water, it came off easily

$IMG_1358.jpg

I got rid of the rust and straightened the warped edges

$IMG_1356.jpg

Final result after glueing the new fabric to the trays:

$IMG_1354.jpg
$IMG_1353.jpg

Everything just went into an ultrasonic cleaner with the internal heater turned on at maximum temperature. I also dropped in a dishwasher tablet and let it clean for 10 minutes.

FANTASTIC job. Your work on the case is most impressive!

Which ultrasonic are you using? I've been keeping an eye out but reviews have been very iffy on the ones I've been seeing in stores.

-Mc

FANTASTIC job. Your work on the case is most impressive!

Which ultrasonic are you using? I've been keeping an eye out but reviews have been very iffy on the ones I've been seeing in stores.

-Mc

Ours is a Transsonic 570/h, I think we have it for more than 20 years now and it still works perfect!

R

romsitsa

Nice craftmanship, worth the effort. Did your case had a G in a D stamp on the lower side?

Adam

Hello, the g in D stamp was there to indicate a silver or gold plated object that was imported into, or designated for import into France. Or at least that seems to be the general consensus. Beautiful restoration sir. Congratulations.

R

romsitsa

I found a similar case here in Hungary and almost finished restoration, but it was gutted, so I had no clue what razor should it contain.
Based on yours and the basket patterned one on Mr. Razors site it should be a Canadian set (have to look out for one).

This is mine:
proxy.php

The really interesting part is that this pattern almost looks the same as ABC imperial cases but it is somehow less defined (flowers next to the blank space are different, corner motif lacks details).

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom