What's new

Revamp 40's Style Gillette Cerakote

Aloha, so I found some free time and thought I’d share this revamp on a Gillette 40’s Style (X4) Super Speed.

This 40’s style was in need of some love and ended up not being a good candidate for plating, . Although it was fine as a user grade razor, (I’m sure we all have a few sitting around collecting dust) a decision was made to Cerakote.

$20160202_100256.jpg$20160212_095051.jpg$20160212_133440.jpg$20160212_134510.jpg$20160212_134656.jpg

R

romsitsa

Very nice looking. Could you explain how it works? Is it some kind of rattle can paint? Did you strip the nickel plating or just cleaned the surface and painted it?

thanks

Adam

Very nice looking. Could you explain how it works? Is it some kind of rattle can paint? Did you strip the nickel plating or just cleaned the surface and painted it?

thanks

Adam

I have used Gunkote, a very similar product, on some of my razors. Bake on gun coatings require a pristine clean surface with some roughness. Normal method is to sandblast the old coating/plating off.

And yes you can get some of the gun coatings in a rattle can, but an air brush works much better. Multiple THIN coats is the key to a good looking finish.

Aloha, so I found some free time and thought I’d share this revamp on a Gillette 40’s Style (X4) Super Speed.

This 40’s style was in need of some love and ended up not being a good candidate for plating, . Although it was fine as a user grade razor, (I’m sure we all have a few sitting around collecting dust) a decision was made to Cerakote.

Nice job! :001_smile

Great job! It looks flawless. Very cool. :thumbup1:
Yes Sir, she is!

thanks

Adam
In a nutshell. This is what I use, Cerakote H Series, a two part A/B (epoxy, ceramic) oven cured ceramic coating (not a paint but million small ceramic particles) that is applied with a small tip HVLP touch-up gun or airbrush applied in microns=1 mil. Application requires the parts be blasted with 100-120 mesh grit AO. You can check out (NIC) Cerakote website for more technical info. It's a great way to restore or customize an item (such as a razor.)

I want one... How does it shaves?
The 40’s headed back to Montana but repro’s available.

I own 3 razors that are coated with the H Series and use them in my rotation, one of them is pushing two years and looks as good as the day it was done, and shave's wonderfully… People often say that the razor shaves, feels better after being coated.

R

romsitsa

Thank you all for the details. The zombie green one is an eye catcher for sure.

Adam

Top Bottom